Question Xeon Build is having lots of performance issues on Windows. Any ideas why it may be the case?

Jul 6, 2024
Hey there,

So I have this unusual build with these specifications: https://valid.x86.fr/7p91ug. Note, in the test, RAM says DDR4-1600, it is actually a 64GB - DDR3 RAM with 1600 MHz

Usually, when I turn on my VS code and Chrome in windows OS, coding for like an hour and ahead, my system would start to hang and process stuff slowly, so even if I type some letters, it would appear 1-2 secs later on the screen (which is a visible confusion lol)

Operating Systems Installed
I have 4 OS on different SSDs:
  • 2 Windows
    • 1st Windows 10 Main
    • 2nd Windows 10 (Fresh Copy) - Installed for testing the hanging issue, same issue
  • Hackintosh Mac OS
  • Linux OS - Ubuntu

Good to know Info:
While everything no matter how many instances I ran on other Linux or Mac, they work smoothly, but when it comes to Windows, it is like peace and starts to hang. Virtualization is also enabled and temps are around 65°C (140°F) at large loads

A short note, usually I work with microservices architectures so during development times, I have to run 5-10 instances of Node JS or instances of Docker accordingly, but kinda irrelevant cause even my i5 5th gen could handle it with ease

Fun facts:
  • Games and everything works super great at high fps
  • ML/DL/AI models (if CPU is used for rendering), it performs quite well
  • Working with video editors Premiere Pro and After Effects, all of them goes great even with motion graphics
  • Just the problem arises when it comes to chrome and vs code
    • Yes, I have enabled a profile for vs code that only has 15 lightweight plugins
    • And I have to open like 5-6 windows of VS code as well

CPU Performance
Any idea what could be the cause? I did a benchmark and the scores are shown in the images (proceeds to list them anyway lol)

Build Specifications:
  • CPU: Xeon E5 2676 - V3 (DDR4 Processor) - 12C/24T - 2.40GHz
  • GPU: Sapphire RX 580 8GB
  • Mobo: Machinest X99 G7
  • RAM:64GB - 1600MHz - (DDR3 System RAMs)
    • 2 Slots used
    • Dual Channel

Last edited:
You need to be monitoring the hardware when this happens to see what is actually going on (HWInfo/HWMonitor should you need detailed CPU statistics, but generally speaking Resource Monitor should be sufficient). Given that it's only happening when you're doing specific tasks after a period of time my assumption would be that something is triggering a memory leak. I'd tend to doubt it has anything to do with your hardware at all even though you have one of the franken-x99 boards.

Reactions: kakoo_makki
Jul 6, 2024
About that, I usually monitor all of my resources from resource monitor to hw monitor, but everything seems to be optimal, my RAM usage is around 22GB when working while my CPU is barely even being used at 20%, yet it hangs as if the system had a couple of beers just moments ago lol

Jul 6, 2024
Looks like I will just need to upgrade the cpu considering the system is mainly hanging due to the core being overloaded, while I can try balancing the loads, but since I have the other option available, I believe it is better to go with that lol

However, really thank you so much, your idea really helped me realize the main problem regarding the issue TwT

I'm super grateful for your time over my query, it means a lot ngl

Reactions: thestryker
If the instances all show up separately you could try to manually assign them to different cores with something like Process Lasso. That's about the only other thing I can think of aside from the obvious brute forcing with much faster hardware.

FWIW those old Xeons are notoriously bad at boosting properly especially on those boards which probably doesn't help.

Jul 6, 2024
Process Lasso seems like an efficient tool for load balancing, I would defo give that a go and I agree with you tbh for the Xeon part, I prefer them mainly because they are much cheaper and would perform way better in applications than my Ryzen builds at similar pricing lol

But tbh, really thank you so much for all the recommendations and help, I'm really grateful for all you did honestly, and may you have a great day/night ahead ^^