Ineedanewusername1

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hi, guys!
I'm building a computer on the 2011 socket for video and music editing and gaming for the next few years. I was choosing used xeon cpu on aliexpress and got stuck between choices among these three options:

E-2689 is the cheapest, has 8 cores, 3.6 ghz turbo (not for all 16 threads, i guess), more powerful than 2690 and 2650v2.

E5-2643v2, on the other hand, provides more cache and frequency, supports 1866 mhz ram, but has less cores and costs 50 bucks more than 2689.

E5-2670v2 is the most expensive option, 75 bucks more than E-2689. it has 10 cores, but less frequency than 2689.

Can you help me with advice, please? What should i get? What is the best for its money?

Ineedanewusername1

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
An E5-2689 doesn't show up on the Intel ARK which means it was never intended for public sale. It was either an engineering sample or tailored for a specific customer. Your motherboard may or may not fully support it. If it was me, I would get the 2643V2.

Thanks for answering! You're right. E5-2689 was a product for a closed marked. They made it for large companies such as apple, samsung, etc. It was more powerful than 2690 and 2680. I was advised to buy it by an acquaintance who is engaged in computers. Also, I found it at a very tasty price. I'll ask the seller if chinese x79 motherboards are supported. By the way, i'm building on plexhd motherboard from aliexpress, since it supports server memory and branded motherboards and ram are a lot more expensive.

May 8, 2019
I'm use couple Chinese mob x79, first for all want to say it's a good quality but - don't buy cheap crap. Chinese market so huge and a lot of company have branded products such us Huanan (huanzhi), jinsha, all the rest is not so good unfortunately. A lot of video on YouTube about this platform. From my experience I'm Build about 4-5 PC used this motherboard - all working fine, all drivers is loading straight away. Can easily overclock your CPU (if unlocked) some have m.2 on board. And so far or PC working fine.
Most of branded mob made in China. Your phone made in China too ( or used Chinese parts). China have speed train - it's never happen in AU, I'm sure.
Sorry for my English.

camurgo

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for answering! You're right. E5-2689 was a product for a closed marked. They made it for large companies such as apple, samsung, etc. It was more powerful than 2690 and 2680. I was advised to buy it by an acquaintance who is engaged in computers. Also, I found it at a very tasty price. I'll ask the seller if chinese x79 motherboards are supported. By the way, i'm building on plexhd motherboard from aliexpress, since it supports server memory and branded motherboards and ram are a lot more expensive.

Ah, that explains why it doesn't show up on Intel ARK, I was puzzled about that. Thanks for sharing. I recently ordered an E5-2689 to run on a X79P chinese brand motherboard. I'm waiting for both to arrive.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I got 2 identical servers 1 i use as a storage server the other one i am planning to build maybe a desktop version of it.They are socket 1366.I need a board that can support ddr 3 ecc(only ram i have)there's a board thats quite cheap.But i will be hit with shpping as its from china to south africa.1 question.If i order the x58 mobo from alixpress they have a 60 day return policy.Is that when i receive the motherboard or when they ship it?Apparently it will take 37-59days for me to receive it.