Question XFX 6700 XT Speedster Qick hotspot temperature question

cioden

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2014

XFX 6700 XT Speedster Qick hotspot temperature question​

So I've had this card for about a year now, and for the most part everything has been fine. However recently I noticed the hotspot temperature shot up briefly in some areas of certain games, particularly Everspace 2 and Mechwarrior 5. In these cases the GPU temp stayed around 61C, and the hotspot at 80C with everything set to high, and in 1440p. But there would be brief moments where it may shoot up to 87C or 90C. It never stayed there long, seconds at most.

I ran a stress test in Furmark and found after 16 minutes, it had a GPU temp of 69C and a hotspot of 95C to 96C. During the test it was using 210 watts, and the fan was at 1892 rpm. After a gaming session the hotspot temperature will always drop down very quickly, within seconds, but I also find it rises quickly compared to the edge temperature. There has never been any crashes either. I'm wondering if this is all relatively normal and I'm just being overly cautious, or if there maybe something a miss.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say, keep an eye on it. Under load, ~20C or lower gap between core and hot spot is typical.
If or when hot spot crosses into the 100C territory, repaste the gpu die. Warm up the gpu for a bit before you attempt to remove the cooler.

Do NOT look to change thermal pads. They are not relative to the hot spot increase at the moment. Some folks make the mistake of doing that alongside the repaste and risk making things worse.