Question XMP not booting. Post code 55. :/

Apr 30, 2020
Hello everyone! I've been using my build for 2 years now with the specs below. My old RAM I got from an older build is great but I found 3200mhz sticks for sale on Amazon (specs also below) so I figured it would be a good upgrade from my 2133mhz chips. I put them on slots A1 and B1 and enabled XMP to ensure 3200mhz speeds, and booted. It took a lot longer than usual to boot and ended posting with code 55 and beeped 3 times. After some unsuccessful boots it finally decided to boot to BIOS, and it was then I disabled XMP after seeing a forum with a similar issue showing it doesn't boot at all after a couple days. I am currently using the new RAM and it runs perfectly without XMP, but not at the speeds I was hoping for. I have done basic troubleshooting like ensuring that the RAM sticks are clean from debris, switching RAM slots, and doing Windows Memory tests. But still no luck with XMP. I don't wish to continue experimenting without help to ensure I don't run into complete failure of my PC like I saw on another forum. Any suggestions on how I should go about this? I would try CMOS reset if it's necessary, but I wouldn't like to do it if there is another option. Thanks in advance!

AsRock Fatal1ty z270 Gaming K6
i7 7700k 4.2ghz
(old ram) Micron Ballistix DDR4 4x4gb 2133mhz
(new ram) PNY XLR8 Gaming DDR4 2x8gb 3200mhz
EVGA GTX 1060 (just in case)

Hello everyone! I've been using my build for 2 years now with the specs below. My old RAM I got from an older build is great but I found 3200mhz sticks for sale on Amazon (specs also below) so I figured it would be a good upgrade from my 2133mhz chips. I put them on slots A1 and B1 and enabled XMP to ensure 3200mhz speeds, and booted. It took a lot longer than usual to boot and ended posting with code 55 and beeped 3 times. After some unsuccessful boots it finally decided to boot to BIOS, and it was then I disabled XMP after seeing a forum with a similar issue showing it doesn't boot at all after a couple days. I am currently using the new RAM and it runs perfectly without XMP, but not at the speeds I was hoping for. I have done basic troubleshooting like ensuring that the RAM sticks are clean from debris, switching RAM slots, and doing Windows Memory tests. But still no luck with XMP. I don't wish to continue experimenting without help to ensure I don't run into complete failure of my PC like I saw on another forum. Any suggestions on how I should go about this? I would try CMOS reset if it's necessary, but I wouldn't like to do it if there is another option. Thanks in advance!

AsRock Fatal1ty z270 Gaming K6
i7 7700k 4.2ghz
(old ram) Micron Ballistix DDR4 4x4gb 2133mhz
(new ram) PNY XLR8 Gaming DDR4 2x8gb 3200mhz
EVGA GTX 1060 (just in case)
Doing a clear CMOS is the first think I would do in this situation. Why are you hesitant ?

Apr 30, 2020
I have cleared CMOS and only configured date and time. I have ensured it booted fine without XMP and everything went fine. After enabling XMP, it still posts 55. Any suggestions?

Last edited: