XP will not install firewire card driver

Fitz

This one is strange. A friend ask me to help get his Belkin (TI chipset)
firewire card working. XP recognizes "new hardware", and correctly ID's the
card, but stops the driver install process with a message that says,"New
hardware could not be installed. Data is invalid. Code 1."

I tried removing the device (Control Panel, System), made sure the card was
seated properly, changed PCI slots, cleared the CMOS, checked the 5V rail
through the BIOS monitor (steady 4.99V), and tried installing in Safe Mode
(and various combinations with multiple attempts). Also tried installing a
different firewire board, one having a 4 pin connector for power directly
from the power supply.

The motherboard is an ASUS KT333 (VIA chipset). It is set to jumperless
mode.

I've never had a firewire card fail to install with XP, and the only
possibility I found with a "google" is someone who said they fixed the same
type problem by increasing the 5V rail to 5.15...don't appear to have that
option with this board, or on the power supply itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fitz

There is a way to modify the 5v rail, but this would require some
modding to the motherboard, something you don't want to do and shouldn't
need to do. Have you given a shot at installing the drivers instead of
letting Windows install them? You sound like you know what you are
doing, and it is much easier being there and working on it. Only things
I can think of you probably have done already. Update the BIOS, update
chipset drivers, etc. Also, check with Belkin's website and see if this
is a known problem. Lastly, try the card in a different computer to see
if it is your computer or the card ;)

Nathan McNulty

Fitz wrote:

> This one is strange. A friend ask me to help get his Belkin (TI chipset)
> firewire card working. XP recognizes "new hardware", and correctly ID's the
> card, but stops the driver install process with a message that says,"New
> hardware could not be installed. Data is invalid. Code 1."
>
> I tried removing the device (Control Panel, System), made sure the card was
> seated properly, changed PCI slots, cleared the CMOS, checked the 5V rail
> through the BIOS monitor (steady 4.99V), and tried installing in Safe Mode
> (and various combinations with multiple attempts). Also tried installing a
> different firewire board, one having a 4 pin connector for power directly
> from the power supply.
>
> The motherboard is an ASUS KT333 (VIA chipset). It is set to jumperless
> mode.
>
> I've never had a firewire card fail to install with XP, and the only
> possibility I found with a "google" is someone who said they fixed the same
> type problem by increasing the 5V rail to 5.15...don't appear to have that
> option with this board, or on the power supply itself.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Fitz

XP should have the drivers, but if you have some OEM built
computer and they did not include all the drivers in their
default install you may not have the drivers, hence the
"Data is invalid. Code 1."
Although XP should have the drivers, you may need to
download an updated set or see if you can extract them from
your CDs.

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
| There is a way to modify the 5v rail, but this would
require some
| modding to the motherboard, something you don't want to do
and shouldn't
| need to do. Have you given a shot at installing the
drivers instead of
| letting Windows install them? You sound like you know
what you are
| doing, and it is much easier being there and working on
it. Only things
| I can think of you probably have done already. Update the
BIOS, update
| chipset drivers, etc. Also, check with Belkin's website
and see if this
| is a known problem. Lastly, try the card in a different
computer to see
| if it is your computer or the card ;)
|
| Nathan McNulty
|
| Fitz wrote:
|
| > This one is strange. A friend ask me to help get his
Belkin (TI chipset)
| > firewire card working. XP recognizes "new hardware", and
correctly ID's the
| > card, but stops the driver install process with a
message that says,"New
| > hardware could not be installed. Data is invalid. Code
1."

| > I tried removing the device (Control Panel, System),
made sure the card was
| > seated properly, changed PCI slots, cleared the CMOS,
checked the 5V rail
| > through the BIOS monitor (steady 4.99V), and tried
installing in Safe Mode
| > (and various combinations with multiple attempts). Also
tried installing a
| > different firewire board, one having a 4 pin connector
for power directly
| > from the power supply.
| >
| > The motherboard is an ASUS KT333 (VIA chipset). It is
set to jumperless
| > mode.
| >
| > I've never had a firewire card fail to install with XP,
and the only
| > possibility I found with a "google" is someone who said
they fixed the same
| > type problem by increasing the 5V rail to 5.15...don't
appear to have that
| > option with this board, or on the power supply itself.
| >
| > Any ideas?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Fitz

Fitz

Found the fix....
had to change permissions in DeviceDesc in the registry for the
hardware...for some reason it was "read only" instead of allowing full
access.

Thanks for the help

Fitz