Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just used the new Xbox feature today. I can now play my Xbox games on my PC at the complete opposite end of the house, so if someone is watching TV I can play it in another room. Unfortunately it's quite buggy (no sound at all) but hopefully they fix the issues.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I prefer the old start menu as well!

Evan7899

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

I actually like the new start menu the tiles are nice and all with one of the best weather apps I have used. I would like it more if I could get some damn programs to pin on the left side.

dfutyut2

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Same to me. Kept Blue Screening like 30 seconds after turning on and it was some driver issue. Had to go back to 7.

Got Hello working with a fingerprint reader built into my test machine (an old HP nw8440. Came with Vista or XP). No driver installs needed, which is mildly impressive.

Bit annoying that they require you to have a PIN and a password... I could understand on a mobile device, but why do you want me to remember two different codes? I can probably type my password faster than a PIN, especially on a device without a number pad...

If they were the programs I was actually interested in using maybe.
Installing Windows 10 erased my actually most used programs.
And if there's a new program i want to add to it, I can't just drag it.

Programs added to Start also do not show up in most used(because I added everything I use to start, my most used is quite useless).

Since I just start search everything I run this is not an issue(Have done this since Vista).

dudalemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2013
I have multiple HDD on my computer. I had Win 7 set up on my SSD (C drive obviously). I had an H drive which was basically my storage drive (ISO files, Movies, Games ISO etc). I noticed somehow after the installation all my ISO files (including the folders) for games and programs disappeared whether it was installed or not.

I had a game on there that i had not installed yet and that disappeared is well. Did not go into any old.windows folder, just gone

Update: just to follow up. Nothing else on the H drive was erased, only ISO files

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I think a lot of people will do like you!

Mike BD

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I still can't find any way to stop automatic Windows Updates if you're on Ethernet (LAN/WLAN,etc.) in LTSB (& N) versions...
Can someone help me?

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I think that's the whole thing with windows 10. you can't stop it.

USAFRet

Titan

Stopping updates is only available in Win 10 Enterprise.
LTSB is an option with Enterprise. And from what I'm seeing, you still will get security fixes and hotfixes. Just not new features.

Archgaull

Admirable
I'm quite happy with Windows 10. Takes about 2 seconds from completely off to the log in screen with a i5-4690K and it on a SSD.

One very odd (but very good) thing I've noticed is that it seems to have boosted the audio on my Turtle Beach Z11's. On Windows 7, I had to turn the volume to about 95 percent before audio reached what I consider to be the optimal range. On the exact same computer with the exact same headphones, the only difference being I swapped from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the optimal audio for my headphones now sit at about 25-30 percent.

Would that not just lead to the card running out of headroom by the time you hit 95%(or maybe just loose your hearing :p )?

I mean it only has so much voltage to work with(5v for usb or maybe +/- 3.3v(6.6v) to 5v(10v) with a charge pump or similar[the charge pump tends to have some loss too].) and 12 for a normal card(I do not know if they use charge pumps or similar on internal cards).

I believe this is only feature updates, not security.

Damn, that's weird.

Are you certain they were on that drive, and not on another drive mounted to that directory?

Archgaull

Admirable

I've yet to notice any negative effects in audio quality. And it didn't so much boost the audio, as even the levels out. I can still kick it up to 95% and it's not exceedingly unpleasant (but it is disturbingly loud and I wouldn't keep it on that willingly) but on 10% you can actually hear it clearly enough, whereas before 10% was undetectable for me.

Has anyone else tried the biometrics? I have vague memories (from XP days) of horrible hit rates, but on the same hardware (impressive that it got a driver), I've seen near 100% hitrates, and it's performed well even when I've intentionally made it tricky.

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
So far, not good. GeForce Experience is timing out with an error and Steam keeps telling me to connect to the internet or check my internet connection when I AM connected. I'm so upset, because given my PC is for gaming only and quite a few games require you to be connected to Steam is ruining what I built my PC for to begin with. I've even done a clean re-install of Windows 10, and all that did was clear up an issue I was having with NVIDIA Control Panel, but my other issues are still present. Feeling very remorseful for upgrading, been a waste of time and effort, HUGE headache.

If nvidia is still a problem use DisplayDriverUninstaller (google) to remove it and then reinstall it.
Also, go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the windows 10 drivers if they have them.

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

My GeForce drivers are up to date I do believe, but it just won't connect to the GeForce Experience :/ Ill look into my MOBO drivers when I get home

It doesn't matter if they're up-to-date, if they're still causing problems use DDU.

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

Curious, has this actually FIXED the issue for some people? Or is this just something you're recommending. I don't want to uninstall and end up in a worst position I was to begin with, because everything IS working (what games I can open), just not GeForce Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS