Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I have my own software preferences, and they're most not MS. But my W10 machine keeps telling me "Oh, there's a conflict with a file association, so we changed it back to our program".
Bull! There's no conflict as the software I use has run under every other OS flawlessly. They're just trying to regain control of my desktop.
If W10 keeps it up, I'll start uninstalling the apps they're trying to ram down my throat.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Nobody has ever accused MS of being a charity.
So when they give away millions of copies of a $100 OS, you can bet they're not doing it for charity. I'm sure they have a plan to make money. I don't know what that plan is, but you can bet your last buck they plan on making money off it. I have a strong suspicion a lot of us won't be happy when we find out what it is.

Hello... Anybody has sucessfully installed win 10 on atom z2760 SoC platform?
The intel gma driver is buggy and the icon looks very large on my acer iconia w3 :(

Now i started to hate 10 very much.

USAFRet

Titan

I have it installed on a Atom z3740 (Asus Transformer T100A) with zero issues.

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015

Intel Inside

z37xx "BayTrail" platform GPU is Intel HD Graphics, not intel GMA which z27xx "CloverTrail" uses. So, you will not get any issues with it :D .

My Acer One 10 (atom z3735F) runs win 10 very-very perfect.
But not on my W3-810 (atom z2760) runs buggy and not stable.

yeah, intel drives the operation :p

CropEditPaste

Honorable
May 13, 2016
Honestly, Windows 10 works out just fine for me. For me, Microsoft added way too many features that first of all, many people will never use, and two, it's just super messy. But remove all of the crap out of the way and you have a fresh, modern looking operating system. I love Windows 10, but not as much as Windows 7. Leave Windows 8 out because it was just a huge flop.

Supernu

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I have upgraded to Windows 10, 16 workstations in the office and two workstations at home, and everything been great.

James_310

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
I have watched the progress of Windows 10 on the desktop. it is amazing to see the breadth of experiences from users who are running the same build of the operating system and apps.

Colif

Win 11 Master

If win 10 was only released on the same hardware and had multiple different results, it would be something to look at. But the variety of hardware combinations means only a small number of PC have the same parts in them, and so same software/app combos can create lots of differing results.

NirDafnai

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
For me it has been extremely annoying to use, windows defender always turning itself back on, crashes and freezes and all sorts of nonsense..

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I have been running 10 now for about a month since my new build, and although it got it's annoyances, haven't had much to complain about. My other system is running 7 and as the final days of the "free" upgrade tick away, I have been nervous about it and afraid of what could go wrong. I've heard there are a couple of options to consider in a situation like this, one being the Windows "roll back" the other being to create an image on separate drive.
Should I? Should I not? These decisions make me crazy!

Colif

Win 11 Master

Defender should only turn itself back on if you don't have another antivirus/firewall in place. Its there to protect those that don't know any better,,, not saying that is you, just why its there,

NirDafnai

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

I have malware bytes though

Malwarebytes is not quite an anti-virus though it is more of a program that you use in conjunction with an anti-virus program.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
Welp, Forbes Magazine just wrote an article on W10. Enterprise edition is going to be a monthly subscription - like Office 365. Not quite clear on what you will lose if you don't pay up.
I've been saying this for nearly a year now. MS is not a charity. They knew how they were going to make money off W10 before they started. They're not going to hand out 300 million copies of a $110 software out of the kindness of their hearts.
Now that the marriage is about done - the 1 year honeymoon (the period you can still revert back to your old OS) is on. Once that is done, you can bet MS will be turning off a few options - like your ability to turn off targeted advertising and data collection. (eliminating options is just an update away) Perhaps all of W10 will become a monthly subscription service. Who knows? Well, I guarantee you, MS will get their money, by hook or by crook.
My best description of W10 is "insidious".

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10 Enterprise was never free. Ever.
In fact, Enterprise was already on a subscription model, via Software Assurance. Businesses pay a yearly fee for however many licenses and CALs they need.

This looks to allowing regular people to buy Enterprise if you really want it, without a whole big licensing agreement.

Oh, and Win 10 Home and Pro wasn't 'free' either. It was either an Upgrade from an OS you previously purchased, or a standalone product you bought.
Just like the upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

Arvind Bakshi

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
Windows 10 has pros and cons.
Pros:
Faster boot
Multicore utilization better
More supported hardware instructions
Start menu and windowed mode back[windows 8]
More battery backup
Newly designed explorer
Cons:
Automatic updates although can be semi-turned off but still sucks some speed from internet connection
Dual settings+control panel setup(control panel was sufficient)
Hard to find some settings & search(windows 7 was better)

Zakario

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Well, I've been with windows 10 "on-and-off" for a year now, and by on-and-off I mean I installed Win10, used it for 6 months, uninstalled it because of a few driver issues here and there, went back to windows 7, used that for 2 months, and then came back to windows 10.

Why did I come back to windows 10? I'll be honest, it feels fresh. Now, those nvidia driver issues I had are gone too, I see no reason why people shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10. By fresh I mean I love its design and just feels so much faster with an SSD compared to Win7 (using Samsuing 850 Evo). As mentioned before, saves battery too. Now, I'm using Windows 10 on both of my machines - my PC and my laptop and the way windows 10 saves my laptop's battery is just insane. I've got a fairly bad laptop compared to some around here, but it gets the job done that I need - ASUS X553M, and it doesn't even have an SSD in it, because honestly I do not feel the need for an SSD in my laptop, mostly because windows 10 boots up very quickly on it.

Although I gave a few good words to Windows 10 and I honestly recommend it to everyone, there are a few things that bother me, not much, but hell, if I'm going to nitpick then I'll just state those issues.
Windows 10 search feels like a step back to me. Whenever I want to search let's say "programs and features", windows 10 doesn't seem to find it for me. I have to open up Control Panel and navigate to Programs and THEN click on programs and features, worked like a charm in Windows 7.

As I said, I'm just nitpicking on windows 10, I honestly love it, but Windows 10 keeps chaning my background too, which I dislike. I have taken off the sync option from OneDrive and assigned only one picture to be my background, but after some time, it reverts to the original Windows 10 background. so yeah, that's one thing that bothers me just a little bit.

All in all, I do like windows 10, had some troubles with drivers at first, but that's understandable for a new product. They seem to be fixed now and yes, I really like windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.