Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esbo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
My experience could best be described as an on going nightmare. It was OK for 3 months, think the problems started after the aniversary update.
I get freezes occasionally on shutdown, then sometimes it would not reboot, I used to do a windows repair reinstall (not the whole thing, ie I kept my files) but then went back to a restore point.
Currently I can't run the system file checker although my PC runs OK apart from that, but it is not satisfactory as the last run reported corrupt system files it could not fix (unbelieveable I know). DISM would not fix it either as so how it could not call home to microsoft, maybe the offline method will work. BUt it is a joke, I am unhappy to say the least. It is disgrace.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
So far its good. But the complete layout change is annoying for me. I have recently upgraded my windows. Before 10, I was using 7, skipped 8 at all.

I think windows 10 is hating my old hardware now...
Driver update from WUS always breaks, and sometimes causing device to malfunctioning or won't boot at all.
Audio driver and graphics driver are the worst update that cause chaos in my system...

But I like the latest Win 10 bulid except its hardware compatibility platform.

andrejones

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
My laptop was very slow and crashing frequently every time I wanted to open a new file or program. It started to happen after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. Several updates have been released and none of them solved this issue.
Finally, the latest update seems to have fixed this issue and my laptop is running smoothly now. The speed is great as well.
Not sure what caused that.

maverick 5582

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
I tried to program my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router with Windows 10 and I got a message that the O.S. was not compatible. Makes me wonder why I even bothered buying a new laptop.

maverick 5582

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

maverick 5582

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I did. Old stock, new router works fine for camera feed.

debojitacharya

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
I am not neither able to drag and drop file from Oracle Virtual box to Windows 8.1 (Host) nor from Windows to Virtualbox OS (guest). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Guest Additions but the problem still exists.

Please tell me what to do?

USAFRet

Titan

Please start a new thread for this.
Thanks.

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
windows 10? what garbage. forced upgrades because of "telemetry". 3 computers were downgraded from 7 to 10. none of them worked after that, needed factory reset.

MikeLevin

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
As for me, I'm not really happy with Windows 10, as there are a lot of bugs that has not been fixed yet. For example I'm unable to remove password requirement completely (it sometimes appears when laptop awakes from sleeping) and there was a big issue for monitor not to go to sleep mode after 1 min

James_carton00

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
Well in my analysis about Windows 10 it's grateful for the New user to beginning using of Microsoft. In Windows 10 a built-in Windows Defender and that's a beauty of windows to secure our customer privacy. A good thing is synchronizing the data on the server to secure and save everything that you want to save, It an easy to use environment.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador

It shouldn't be a problem. My laptop asks for it, but only when I do a cold boot or a reboot (holdover from when my wife used it for her job as a college professor), & my desktop never asks for the password (as we are the only 2 that use the desktop, & only have the 1 user account, there was no point in requiring it every time we booted up). So it can definitely be done...

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Can I take my previous words back? I am actually liking Windows 10 now. Especially after the update run, its a lot smoother and is working absolutely fantastic. I now like it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The most recent patch on weekend, it took about 5 minutes to prepare to configure windows at shutdown, I almost restarted PC and was seriously considering it when it started its count up to 30% like it normally does on an update before restarting and restart was fast like normal. I looked at patch notes and there wasn't any obvious that would explain why it was so slow... guess I run an sfc on system and check it out. I don't like it when my system does odd things.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Love Windows 10, been using it since Beta/TP. My only gripe is finding icons for games that I DONT WANT being pinned there and being advertisements to download them from the app store (I delete/uninstall any of those games/remove the icons).

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't see the adverts (though there is one there now for lara croft) as on a 4k screen, the start menu is pretty small (even with 150x zoom) and i only look at the program listing, 1 icon in the tiles section and power, and all those icons are in bottom left of screen anyway. Everything I normally load in my day is on desktop so start is mostly ignored. Its the only place I see ads on my PC so i will let it live.

Status
Not open for further replies.