Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one thing you could try is buy another hdd, remove the win 7 hdd you have now, and install win 10 on it, using your win 7 key. Fresh installing win 10 is generally better than upgrading from win 7, mainly as it removes the older drivers which may not work well with 10.

Using a new hdd means you can keep your old install in case win 10 doesn't work out for you. Only downside is you would need to reinstall everything again, but as the upgrade doesn't seem to work anyway, its only choice,

freshair

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

freshair

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I cloned my drive. Then I upgraded to windpws 10 on the cloned drive, after the upgrade I did the reset that is included in win 10. In the reset I chose to have it delete everything and start fresh. It worked pretty well, took about 6 hours to do the reset.

That way you can experiment all you want to on the cloned drive. I ended up reinstalling everything on the cloned drive, and it works so well I cloned my original drive so I have two copies of my win 10 computer now. No more 7 for me.

The only problem I'm having is that windows 10 won't recognize both drives in my computer now. I had to use the usb port to clone them. Disk management won't recognize the other drive in scan mode either.

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
Finally managed to convince my PC to install the creators update (that's 1703, not 1709. WU still doesn't acknowledge 1709's existence) - it no longer just freezes on the boot screen.

Now, I have a couple of questions:

First off, my PC now goes through 2 boot screens. First off there is the standard black screen with the blue Win logo and spinning dots. This takes about the same time as it used to (about a minute). Next there is a black screen with just the white dots, that lasts another minute or so, effectively doubling my boot time. Why?

Secondly, OneDrive keeps opening itself up to the tray randomly. It is set not to start up with Windows, and I've searched for solutions, but they all seem to focus on it opening windows. In my case it doesn't, just keeps appearing in the tray. How do I get it to stop? I don't use it and don't want it running.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depending on age of PC, it may have been waiting on particular driver updates before it offers you 1709, that and the roll out to 120 million+ computers worldwide isn't happening all at once, many PC are only getting 1703 now as Microsoft only supports 2 versions of win 10 at a time, and after Fall Update was released, that left 1703 & 1709 as the only two versions supported (this only applies really to getting them to help you on their forums)

I would be tempted to back up all the files you can't afford to lose on C drive, download a copy of Media Creation tool and use it to make a Win 10 installer on USB or DVD, and fresh install win 10. Likely fix both of these problems.

varzek

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Why does the "Optimize Drives" display a volume "\\?\Volume{770188..." ?

Untitled.png

varzek

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

Why on the previous assemblies (1703, 1607, 1511) this volume was not displayed? There is a suspicion that this is a hidden EFI partition.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a valid suspicion as well given a quick search of google images shows on previous versions there was System reserve showing as Never run as the last choice.

You could check if you took the number in the brackets and compared it to the GUID (Global Unique ID) of the ssd's in system. Think you can see drive GUID's in disk management. Choose a drive and pick properties/details
pick class GUID and it should show the drive number there (I think)

varzek

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

I checked using EasyUS Partition Master and it was EFI System Partition (99Mb).

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015
This new volume in defrag only show up since the "fall creator" update. previously it is not there. Probably somehow microsoft forgot to make it hidden.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dumb Microsoft... So I have my taskbar at top of screen mainly as a speaker covers the bottom right of monitor and I can't read time. Anyway, the silly action centre is a nuisance as you can't move the menu choices around on it, so I open it up and all the choices like Settings or Clear all are down the bottom in the exact corner I can't see in without looking behind a speaker

My hope was I could move action centre to left hand side but that isn't an option: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/is-it-possible-to-move-action-center-from-right/099c03ef-b73f-49f5-8d7c-973c00a1f0fd

I will have to just remember to right click start and use that settings option, doesn't help with clear all though. I don't use the action centre a great deal really.

turbofiat124

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
So far I've noticed Audacity has issues. This program "works" otherwise but when doing a timed recording, the computer hangs up at the 12 second mark. Other users on the Audacity forum have reported this same "12 second" bug and others have said they haven't had any issues with it.

Personally, I've yet to get used to Windows 10. I noticed that ever since Windows 7 was created, seems like programs written for earlier versions of Windows don't run right even in compatibility mode. I've yet to find a program up unto Windows XP that wasn't backwards compatible. I even have some old Windows 3.1 software that runs fine on XP.

BTW. I installed a program called "Classic Shell" which mimics the start menu of earlier versions of Windows and like using it much better, however if you try to install it with MicroTrend running, it says Classic Shell contains either a virus or spyware. Anybody else running a different anti-spy or virus program notice this?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I've done all kinds of tests installing Windows 10 on many desktops and laptops at work(some systems more then 10 years old). Have not had any major issues with any & found that every single time, 10 runs better on the system then it's original OS(as old as Vista). I have even taken HD's out of Windows systems and installed them into iMac's and Macbooks(it still works fine).

Keep in mind though that each time I've done this, it's been a clean install(never an upgrade). Seems "upgrading" is where people have issues(corrupt files carried over from the previous OS, infections, etc...)

I've only had 2 "major" issues with Windows 10.
avatar - was unable to change it since the creator's update - finally after the most recent update, it's working again
lock screen image - if I choose a custom lock screen image and manually sign out, it displays it. but when I reboot the computer, it shows the stock lock screen image.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Work switched to W10.

Or at least, they're working on it. My dept has all the new computers standing by while they try and make some add-ons and extentions work.
I have to say I'm surprised, some of these date back to W98/XP era and only a few (so far) of them don't work immediately.

I really like the solution of one client btw.
"We updated and we can't get half the stuff done with add-on X to work properly so you have to remain backwards compatible so you can do it"

The really old stuff (the ones that ask me if I want to use netscape as a browser) are safely stored on a Linux virtual machine somewhere as of last summer.

I recommed getting used to the default start menu instead of clinging to old habits via stuff like Classic Shell. Also, software such as that you mentioned should be run in a VM. Look into that. You'll never go back. VirtualBox is free, for example.

I don't like it ....... period. I prefer the GUI of Windows 7 and as far as i'm concerned, this is NOT Windows. Like turbofiat124 said, I installed Classic Shell and it was somewhat better. It never ran well on this desktop. Started out ok, but it got worse each day until it was so unstable I couldn't use it. I still have it in one laptop, it is slow, but that is partly a hardware issue. As far as I'm concerned Windows 10 is another Millenium / Vista ( still have this on my other Desktop ), although after SP 2 Vista wasn't all that bad, except for resource usage.

You're either doing something wrong or experiencing hardware/driver issues. W10 is far leaner than 7 and runs faster and more stable. You are very wrong in comapring it to Vista/ME. There are sys admins on this forum that administer from dozens to hundreds of workstations and I have yet to see one not acknowledge W10's vast technical superiority over 7.

I had it on two laptops and one desktop. My other desktop is waiting for its upgrade from Vista to Win 7. As I said, I don't like the GUI at all. I want somethat is easy to work with where you can find stuff. They only way to do that is with Classic Shell, besides it seems that fater every update there are issues. They screw up a perfectgood Interface that has been around for a long time and something people have gotton used to to this junk and the only thing new was Edge, DX12, and Corrina ( I think it is ), that probably doesn't get used. The last figures I saw showed that more people were still using Windows 7 over Windows 10, with a small number using Linux, Windows 8.1, Vista, and even XP. To each his own I guess. If you like it, that's fine, I just don't happen to like anything about it, with the exception of Edge and DX12.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
With regards to the above point(s), in my experience using win 10 at home, and as a sys admin. Win10 is vastly superior speed wise as long as its living on an SSD.

I did a total desktop refresh at work to upgrade all the domain client machines with ssd drives. After that, its faster than the win7 boxes including the few that were on ssd drives at the time.

I upgraded my ageing dell laptop with an ssd, after that it was fine. They should be standard for all machines by now anyway.

Works fine here. First prob I had was when the creators update came out.

I had a TPM 1.2 module. It kept bringing a repair bluescreen. Then I read that the creators update needs TPM 2. So I removed the module and replaced it with a TPM 2. Prob fixed

Then later after some update had installed, it started disconnecting my wireless all the time

Don't know why. So decided to do a clean install. That fixed that prob

Then I read that TPM modules had a vulnerability. It took a while to find an update, but I did find a firmware update to fix it a few weeks ago. So I'm happy.

I'm not going to worry about this meltdown / spectre prob. Cant do much, if ASUS take their time bringing out a BIOS update to fix it

And it works fine on a Saumsung 840.

I just killed the things that I dont need. Disabled all the power / sleep settings, (saves me typing in a login password - Even tho I ran netplwiz, it'd still ask for my login password). If the screen went off, and when I pressed a key to wake it up

Disabled hibernation. I dont need that. Disabled system restore, dont need that

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
W10 is far leaner than 7 and runs faster and more stable.

But it just isn't. At least, not in my experience. Having tested W10 on several PCs (specs listed below), performance is at best identical to Windows 7, and in most cases, slightly worse...

System 1:

• ■ Intel Xeon E5450 @ 4.1GHz
    ■ 8GB DDR2 @ 950MHz
    ■ Nvidia GTX 570
    ■ 64GB Samsung SSD

System 2:

• ■ Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz
    ■ 16gb DDR3 @ 1800MHz
    ■ Nvidia GTX 1070
    ■ 512GB Crucial MX300 SSD

System 3:

• ■ Core i5-2400 @ 3.6GHz
    ■ 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    ■ Nvidia GTX 980
    ■ ADATA SU800 256GB SSD

My opinion of Windows 10 is basically that it's like Windows 7, but everything is a tiny bit more annoying. Taken on its own, each problem is a non-issue, but when combined, they add up to be time wasted upgrading at best, and disruptive at worst...

My most ready example is the inability to preview images in Windows Photo Viewer. I have .PNG files set to open in Fireworks, but under W7 I could Right click -> Preview and they would open in photo viewer for quicker viewing. That option has been removed for no discernible reason in W10. Massive end-of-the-world problem? No, but it's still really annoying when the alternative is now:

• ■ Select file (just right clicking gives me the folder options, even if I clicked on the file not the background)
    ■ Right click, Wait for the spinning wheel of doom
    ■ Open With... Spinning wheel
    ■ Choose Default
    ■ Program
    ■ More Programs
    ■ Windows Photo Viewer
How in the name of sanity is that an improvement over Right click, Preview?!?!?!

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015

A lot of simple stuff is make difficult in Window 10 also there seems to be a few features is removed but you can reinstall window photo viewer in window 10. I'm not sure if it is related but when i select an image and right click and click preview, it will open in window photo viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.