Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 14196

It’s never a good idea to disable the page file never ever ever ever

My HP Stream started life with a 32GB hard disk but fortunately, two 128GB Micro SdCards for everything except Windows. You can trim down the bulk by emptying the content of c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and tell the Recycle Bin not to store rubbish.

That said, 32GB is overstuffed for just the OS and typical MS bloat.

I swear windows 10 is a resource hog.
How comes with 16gb of ram windows will use way more at idle than if you only had 4gb?
Disabling caching is really want i want to do.

Because of SuperFetch. It loads your most used programs into RAM unless the space is needed which it will dump it. Vista had it but it was pretty bad at freeing up RAM.

That said, unless you are doing something that needa all your RAM, having more free RAM will not speed your system or programs up at all. It will just sit there empty.

My HP Stream started life with a 32GB hard disk but fortunately, two 128GB Micro SdCards for everything except Windows. You can trim down the bulk by emptying the content of c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and tell the Recycle Bin not to store rubbish.

That said, 32GB is overstuffed for just the OS and typical MS bloat.

I believe its for the new feature that will reserve a small portion of the drive space specifically for the bi-yearly updates since they have probably ruin into a ton of people living on near zero space left who cannot run those updates:

Makes sense that the minimum storage space would increase.

Colif

Win 11 Master
32gb is an amount just big enough to not have hardware makers who put 32gb drives into their machines angry at them. Given Windows requirements have stayed the same since XP, we can hardly complain. Its about time.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibility of internal drive letters being changed if an external drive is connected. Microsoft are on to it it seems. Hopefully they can fix this problem before the update arrives.

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
I swear windows 10 is a resource hog.
How comes with 16gb of ram windows will use way more at idle than if you only had 4gb?
Disabling caching is really want i want to do.

I think there is a lot of stuff going on in the background more than ever. I installed server 2016 on a single core Athalon II 2.0Ghz with 10G of ram. Makes a 1.6G swap and is twice as fast as the Lenovo i7 3.2Ghz with 8gb of ram at work. If you want a real os that doesn't have all that consumer crap server2016 would be the choice.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What I like about my Stream with the 32GB hard disk space is that I can remove the add-on cards and USB stick and there is no personal data on this machine when it leaves the house to go out working and is in the sphere of possible theft.

OK so there are settings and some hidden data in the AppData folders but I reckon the average thief won't know how to convert that into money but if Windows is going to hog 32GB that's bloody ridiculous against the 14.8 at the moment.

I can see the partnership of me and Windows is going to end completely. I've only kept it going this far to keep up with its foibles but if I retire and close my business, I can free myself of MS bloatware.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hopefully this will nudge the hardware makers who try to put Win 10 on 32gb ssd in direction of using 64gb ssd instead... they may not be able to label the old things windows 10 ready. It might be a good thing for consumers, they might get extra space on PC they can actually use.

tbh, its pretty silly in the days of multiple TB hdd that anyone is still selling a windows device with only 32gb in it. I guess they are likely tablets but still.

Colif

Win 11 Master
32gb ssd is 32gb unformatted. So you right, it is smaller, so perhaps it is the end for drives with 32gb ssd after all.

It might be okay, of all the people who know that storage space shrinks after formatting, Microsoft should. So I expect its okay

I think there is a lot of stuff going on in the background more than ever. I installed server 2016 on a single core Athalon II 2.0Ghz with 10G of ram. Makes a 1.6G swap and is twice as fast as the Lenovo i7 3.2Ghz with 8gb of ram at work. If you want a real os that doesn't have all that consumer crap server2016 would be the choice.

Yea minus the fact that Server 2016 cost quite a bit more (cheapest is $500) and also might not have features running at start that users would need to enable.

I personally haven't thought much of it. I installed it on one laptop and my desktop when it came out. Couldn't navigate it and as far as I was concerned it was trash. The laptop ran fine, but within a week the Desktop was so unstable it was unusable. Went back to Windows 7. Tried it again later with the same results. I have it in here now, only because my last upgrade forced me to as I went to the i7 8700k. I found something that actually makes it tolerable. I went online and downloaded and installed the latest version of Classic Shell. The Start menu is close to Windows 7. You have your Control panel less the Icons, but that is fine. A lot more familiar feel. Has some good features though. At the moment, I am coexisting with it, maybe not so peacefully at times though.

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Yea minus the fact that Server 2016 cost quite a bit more (cheapest is $500) and also might not have features running at start that users would need to enable.
There are software vendors out on the internet as well as ebay that will sell you a copy Server 2016 standard pretty cheap. I spent around $25 for two product keys that worked without issues. I had to enable my sound, which was just a right click on the speaker, and I installed chrome, and left internet explorer locked down and only temporarily used it do download chrome. I also had to set the performance to applications in the foreground because it was setup for background services. I would rather switch 3 things and be done in less than 20 minutes after an install instead of spending a couple of hours on cleaning up and configuring a windows 10 installation.

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
You have mentioned your cheap, probably stolen, MS Product Keys but any sight of a link to find them will result in your account being banned.
They're real, oem bulk, but real. That is why they are cheap. Granted not as cheap as the ones that are sold to dell or hp ($5 a key) but they are real. But the main limitation to those keys is that they can only be used once, and can not transfer the installation to a different machine (using sysprep).

No, I don't post links like that anyways:p

They're real, oem bulk, but real. That is why they are cheap. Granted not as cheap as the ones that are sold to dell or hp ($5 a key) but they are real. But the main limitation to those keys is that they can only be used once, and can not transfer the installation to a different machine (using sysprep).

No, I don't post links like that anyways:p

OEM is still not cheap. Not that cheap. They are more likely VLK or MAK keys that will eventually stop working.

Reactions: captaincharisma
a warning for users who use virtual machines with windows 10,

in the may update they have enhanced device security enabled called Device/Credential Guard that will prevent you from running you virtual machines as vmware will error out saying it is not compatible when you try to boot your existing VM's. but just to note i am using vmware player so i am not sure if this is happening with virtualbox or not but just a heads up. there is currently a work around right now that seems to be working for me but not sure if i will have to keep performing the workaround every so often or not yet

here is a link describing the issue for vmware:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

piikea1

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
I haven't had it long but have ALREADY had to deal with a lot of minor problematic things that never occurred with any other Windows versions + almost everything I tried to do to tweak or just personalize routine things have required much google-ing to figure out!? My W7 works like a charm, no issues, I can control it, etc. a helluva a lot easier. THIS is supposed to be an improvement WHY am I having more issues & trouble learning it. Maybe W10 will one day catch up to their previous OS's!

I can't even create recovery disk because "some files are missing on the computer" - it was just installed why are they "missing" already?! lol
I'm waiting for the (mis)adventures with all the forced updating over time as well. oy vey

USAFRet

Titan
a warning for users who use virtual machines with windows 10,

in the may update they have enhanced device security enabled called Device/Credential Guard that will prevent you from running you virtual machines as vmware will error out saying it is not compatible when you try to boot your existing VM's. but just to note i am using vmware player so i am not sure if this is happening with virtualbox or not but just a heads up. there is currently a work around right now that seems to be working for me but not sure if i will have to keep performing the workaround every so often or not yet

here is a link describing the issue for vmware:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361
Verified VirtualBox v5.2.8 does NOT do this.
All my VM's, both windows and Linux, run just fine after upgrading the Host to v1903.

Reactions: zahid0406
Status
Not open for further replies.