Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
32gb is an amount just big enough to not have hardware makers who put 32gb drives into their machines angry at them. Given Windows requirements have stayed the same since XP, we can hardly complain. Its about time.
My little Asus Transformer upgraded to v1903 last night.
32GB eMMC drive, 2GB RAM.
The 256GB microSD card was purposely removed during this, just to see what happens.
The only storage was the 32GB internal 'drive'.

It upgraded itself just fine. Took forever, but that was to be expected.

Reactions: zahid0406
MS has said Windows will use up all of 32GB, Pete and your 32 translates into about 29.5. Did you delete everything in Software Distribution/Downloads after the update?

Your transformer must be the modern day equivalent of my "early morning" Asus EeePC which I've just semi-retired at the age of seventeen so you're on to a goodun?

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Windows 10 Pro is pretty good except for the last update for 1903 which caused some havoc. Corrected with DISM.
It really does everything I need to do but Word and Windows itself cost.I think for the price, I have a functional machine I can rely upon - board Asus z390. I have an imaging program I have used for years and with MR and MBAM free all is a go.

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
Windows version 1903 introduced a lot of problems for me and especially for AMD drivers. I never found a way to clean install windows updates. Sometimes it misses some updates.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem is that hardware makers don't support operating systems from 20 years ago or even Win 7 in recent cases, so these 2 OS might be your fav but running either on modern hardware is a struggle, and for most part not worth it.

I think in 10 years there might be people who think Win 10 was best ever, as it was their first and was what they learned on.

I don't have a fav, I have tried to adjust to every version released so far and have used every home version except for Win 8 as my PC at time wouldn't have run 8, Asus didn't release any Win 8 drivers for it. I started on Win 3.1 for workgroups,windows has come a long way, it is much prettier now :)

I dislike Windows 8 or 8.1. It wasn't terrible, but just too much was changed to make windows optimized for mobile devices that it was clunky to use for desktop users.

My first personal PC had Windows vista and i actually didn't mind it as it was a later version.
I have used from XP and up and enjoyed every version except windows 8. I have actually used windows 3a on a Nintendo ds (dos emulation)

Last edited:

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
Windows 10 was most difficult for me to adjust with(never used windows 8) just because of the updates. The most annoying part is that of drivers which are included in the updates. They are just components and not the full version of the driver. However ,one can turn them off. And the uninstall update option is just fake because as soon as you uninstall any update the system will turn unstable. Also the error codes about which little is known. The tech support which they offer is crap too. The troubleshooters are good for laughing at. I am just waiting for some other OS to support gaming, in fact everyone is.

Last edited:
Behind XP for me

XP is way over blown to me. It took 2 service packs before it became a good OS. Before it was buggy and unstable. It also, now that I look back at it, looks like a child's OS drawn with crayons.

Windows 10 was most difficult for me to adjust with(never used windows 8) just because of the updates. The most annoying part is that of drivers which are included in the updates. They are just components and not the full version of the driver. However ,one can turn them off. And the uninstall update option is just fake because as soon as you uninstall any update the system will turn unstable. Also the error codes about which little is known. The tech support which they offer is crap too. The troubleshooters are good for laughing at. I am just waiting for some other OS to support gaming, in fact everyone is.

Windows has always inculded the option of installing drivers, at least since XP, and they are always just the driver except the GPU which now typically includes the control panel software. Thats not new at all. The main change is that its no longer an optional update unless you turn it off in the system properties.

Removing updates is still the same and even older Windows had the possibility of borking the system. Most error codes have not changed and some are still not documented directly and take a lot of web searching to figure out. That has not changed at all and was prevalent in XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

The troubleshooters vary. Some work very well. Others not so much. It also depends on how bad the issue is. Some viruses can really kill and OS. But in 10 SFC Scans and DISM work better than most other fixes. Actually thats true for pretty much most Windows versions.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Win 7's auto device drivers via updates is unique because it was only an option that can be turned off ;P

When i tried Win 10 some years back the ability to control updates was possible. So what's the go now? Have they returned control back to the user yet?

Win 7's auto device drivers via updates is unique because it was only an option that can be turned off ;P

When i tried Win 10 some years back the ability to control updates was possible. So what's the go now? Have they returned control back to the user yet?

They have given more control but I doubt they will ever go back to how it was. Forcing people to stay more up to date probably cuts down on support calls as they don't have people missing 100+ security updates:

windows-update-improvements-1903.jpg

As for drivers, you have always been able to turn off the driver updates in Windows 10. I do it every time I reinstall 10. Its the first thing I do. That and killing hibernation.

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
XP is way over blown to me. It took 2 service packs before it became a good OS. Before it was buggy and unstable. It also, now that I look back at it, looks like a child's OS drawn with crayons.

Windows has always inculded the option of installing drivers, at least since XP, and they are always just the driver except the GPU which now typically includes the control panel software. Thats not new at all. The main change is that its no longer an optional update unless you turn it off in the system properties.

Removing updates is still the same and even older Windows had the possibility of borking the system. Most error codes have not changed and some are still not documented directly and take a lot of web searching to figure out. That has not changed at all and was prevalent in XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

The troubleshooters vary. Some work very well. Others not so much. It also depends on how bad the issue is. Some viruses can really kill and OS. But in 10 SFC Scans and DISM work better than most other fixes. Actually thats true for pretty much most Windows versions.
But Microsoft still has a lot of problems going on with windows10 which were not in windows 7. And the version updates every six months ruin my experience and it is a struggle for AMD,Nvidia and other companies to optimise all drivers for new windows version every time it releases. Til the previous issues get fixed the new version updates bring a whole new lot of issues.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
They have given more control but I doubt they will ever go back to how it was. Forcing people to stay more up to date probably cuts down on support calls as they don't have people missing 100+ security updates:

windows-update-improvements-1903.jpg

As for drivers, you have always been able to turn off the driver updates in Windows 10. I do it every time I reinstall 10. Its the first thing I do. That and killing hibernation.

Ohhh welp i thought driver updates was or were forced 🙄. I agree with security updates and apply them regularly when notified. Win10 i assume from what you said just does it and if it request a restart does it give you the option to delay at least?

Edit, i guess the delay option is the pause feature in your screenie?

But Microsoft still has a lot of problems going on with windows10 which were not in windows 7. And the version updates every six months ruin my experience and it is a struggle for AMD,Nvidia and other companies to optimise all drivers for new windows version every time it releases. Til the previous issues get fixed the new version updates bring a whole new lot of issues.

Every major hardware manufacture works closely with Windows on their OS releases. They are not just thrown under the bus when a new version comes out.

I do agree the bi-yearly updates needs to change although I like the feature changes. There is word they are working on a way to do this without having to do the whole install, something smoother. We will see in a few months hopefully.

Ohhh welp i thought driver updates was or were forced 🙄. I agree with security updates and apply them regularly when notified. Win10 i assume from what you said just does it and if it request a restart does it give you the option to delay at least?

Edit, i guess the delay option is the pause feature in your screenie?

Thats to disable the driver updates.

As for delaying updates, I think so. I am not sure as I always update then reboot when they are available. You could always change it with GPO:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thats to disable the driver updates.

As for delaying updates, I think so. I am not sure as I always update then reboot when they are available. You could always change it with GPO:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart

Oh right thanks. I was aware of those guides from back then and applied the same when trialing Win10 but wasn't sure if they were still relevant now. Have seen discussions over the last couple of years regarding forced driver updates. Not sure where i went wrong there. Nevermind, i feel better now migrating to 10 later on. Cheers.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not to mention, now that most device manufacturers seem to have "caught up" (for the most part) with supplying Microsoft drivers for inclusion in "the great Microsoft driver library in the cloud" there are very few issues with allowing automatic driver updating.

There are occasions where the manufacturers are still running way ahead of what they supply to Microsoft in a timely manner. That's why I have Intel Driver & Support Assistant running for my WiFi/Bluetooth card and AMD Radeon Settings running for the R7 Graphics.

I've never turned off automatic driver updating on any of my machines which date from as early as 2009-ish up through 2016. My Gateway desktop may even be older than that.

May 10, 2019
Hey there friends!

With everyone trying out Windows 10, we wanted to get your input on what works, what doesn't, and what your overall thoughts and experiences with the new OS has been. We'll be putting together some guides and how-to's on getting going on Windows 10, and your feedback and story on Windows 10 so far will be helpful in knowing where and what we need to cover.

Reply here to share your experience so far with Windows 10, and help Tom's Hardware discover some of the pain points for early adopters.

-JP
Hate it forever

I dislike it being intrusive almost to the level of invasive and MS is taking and selling anything about users to whoever will pay them. Updates followed by restarts and long waits.

I'm still convinced they'll drop the 10 and turn it into a rental programme.

Reactions: Jennifer W
I still feel Windows 7 is Windows most successful version! I wish they would carry that on instead of going all cross-platform on apps and phones and tablets and all fiddle.....i never had a single problem for almost 11 years while running 7.

totally agree with you on that one
I am still running win7 on my gaming desktop
while using a win10 laptop for browsing
Windows 10 is now more like Youtube and Facebook, full of crap and ads even though I tried to disable the appstore and made it look more like Win7 but after the last update the appstore is back again....
Its like running an OS infected with tons of adware

Jennifer W

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Honestly, I don’t care for it, and I run everything. XP on one machine, 7 on another, and 10 on another.
XP was my favorite until years after 7 had been out and it was actually good (2010 or so).

Win 10 is garbage in comparison.
There was an update In 2018 (KB4100347) that prevented my CPU from overclocking, I’ve had an update break Apps (Microsoft Photo), and the entire thing is a huge mess.
I honestly prefer Win7 Pro over 10 Pro. Even if just for the ease of accessing settings.
In Win 10 stuff is buried under layers of menus, it’s annoying.
Scaling in Win7 was better as well.

This whole thing has been a huge step backwards as far as I’m concerned.
The only reason I have not moved to linux at this point is DirectX and Driver Support (linux drivers don’t exist for some hardware I use).

Last edited:
I still have a Windows XP disk and unused key for the day I find a good machine to run some 2000s games on. I no longer can use the ivy bridge laptop for XP since the owner disapproved of me installing an SSD and windows xp...

Just curious, what prevents you from using the same install key on multiple systems? If the PCs aren't connected to the web how would Microsoft know the key is being reused over and over?

D

Deleted member 14196

hmmm, I just use the windows search to find any setting faster than you can remember where in win7 i bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.