Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 14196

ok, so i had an issue when my work pc updated to 1903, it would then not allow me to run VMware any longer... lol, I tried a reset, didn't work. had to format/install.... lol, the good old nuke and pave.

all my data is in onedrive and we have office 365 so i set it (1903) up clean in about 10 minutes and bam, i could install and run vmware workstation again.

still, that was a crook deal, that was. thanks MS... sigh... but i do realize they cannot test every use case, everyone has limited resources--those limits will depend on many factors i won't discuss here.

Last edited by a moderator:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
still, that was a crook deal, that was. thanks MS... sigh... but i do realize they cannot test every use case, everyone has limited resources--those limits will depend on many factors i won't discuss here.

Your tone in the entirety of your post was refreshingly balanced and lacking in the raving, "It's all the fault of Satan Microsoft!," that's so common when this sort of thing happens. And it's happened to anyone who works with computers for decades on at least a few occasions.

My only comment is that even when it does, unless it's the result of a bug for which Microsoft has taken ownership and the blame, it's never entirely clear where the fault lies. Things can happen on even the best maintained systems that are unanticipated flukes that can break normal processes, including updates.

I've had several of these incidents myself over the span of 35 plus years, but in my cases it was definitely never clear what the root cause of the issue was, only that no solution besides "nuke and pave" could ever be found (and, boy, do I look before ever resorting to "nuke and pave").

Most of the time, if Microsoft is at fault, the issue is very widespread and hits the tech press and, sometimes, even the popular press (e.g., the "let's nuke all the user's data" debacle at the rollout of Version 1809). But my experience, both personally and professionally, is that most issues that occur are idiosyncratic to the specific machine in question, rather than something that can be found happening everywhere.

This pattern exists without regard to hardware and operating system as well. Some things are screw-ups on the part of the OS maker and maintainer, without question. Lots of others, though, either are not or cannot definitively be lain at their feet.

D

Deleted member 14196

Your tone in the entirety of your post was refreshingly balanced and lacking in the raving, "It's all the fault of Satan Microsoft!," that's so common when this sort of thing happens. And it's happened to anyone who works with computers for decades on at least a few occasions.

My only comment is that even when it does, unless it's the result of a bug for which Microsoft has taken ownership and the blame, it's never entirely clear where the fault lies. Things can happen on even the best maintained systems that are unanticipated flukes that can break normal processes, including updates.

I've had several of these incidents myself over the span of 35 plus years, but in my cases it was definitely never clear what the root cause of the issue was, only that no solution besides "nuke and pave" could ever be found (and, boy, do I look before ever resorting to "nuke and pave").

Most of the time, if Microsoft is at fault, the issue is very widespread and hits the tech press and, sometimes, even the popular press (e.g., the "let's nuke all the user's data" debacle at the rollout of Version 1809). But my experience, both personally and professionally, is that most issues that occur are idiosyncratic to the specific machine in question, rather than something that can be found happening everywhere.

This pattern exists without regard to hardware and operating system as well. Some things are screw-ups on the part of the OS maker and maintainer, without question. Lots of others, though, either are not or cannot definitively be lain at their feet.
excellent post. I agree with what is said here, and, if anyone does have the issue I had? there is a solution that does NOT involve the format/reinstall route! They have a Compatibility Manager that can turn that check off so you can use VMware.

however, I love the feeling of a super fast brand new spanky fast system install... with only the essentials like office and stuff too. In this case, they added it to a list to not run for my setup, but it can be turned off with Compatibility Manager (you need to download it)

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
I mostly want to remove the xbox, camera, cortana, notes and other bloatware that I don't use. I'm using Windows 10 (1809) for some time so it's not a fresh install. Can I still remove them safe (without random reboots, stop working programs, errors and so on) without reinstall of Windows? Shoud I use PowerShell or is better a program(i.e DWS)? Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I mostly want to remove the xbox, camera, cortana, notes and other bloatware that I don't use. I'm using Windows 10 (1809) for some time so it's not a fresh install. Can I still remove them safe (without random reboots, stop working programs, errors and so on) without reinstall of Windows? Shoud I use PowerShell or is better a program(i.e DWS)? Thanks!

I would update to 1903, MIcrosoft allow you to just right click uninstall more apps from just the app list.
Removing cortana also removes search, since they both use the same service. But in 1903 you can hide the taskbar icon so i mostly ignore Cortana.
You can uninstall Xbox via right click now.
This shows how to remove many built in apps via powershell - https://www.techsupportall.com/uninstall-built-apps-windows-10/

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not a reinstall, its just an update.
You might find you can remove more after the update but any you remove now won't be reinstalled. Provided you are using an account linked to the email address you used to register windows, the servers will remember what is installed and not reinstall them next version update.

I would update to 1903, MIcrosoft allow you to just right click uninstall more apps from just the app list.
Removing cortana also removes search, since they both use the same service. But in 1903 you can hide the taskbar icon so i mostly ignore Cortana.
You can uninstall Xbox via right click now.
This shows how to remove many built in apps via powershell - https://www.techsupportall.com/uninstall-built-apps-windows-10/

I thought 1903 separated Cortana and Search into individual services?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I thought 1903 separated Cortana and Search into individual services?

Not exactly. See: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/124150-hide-show-cortana-button-taskbar-windows-10-a.html

I have never used the Personal Digital Assistant or voice-activated component thereof of Cortana and disabled that part of Cortana when my machines had 1507 and this could be easily done via Settings.

Even if you have the PDA option shut off, the process used for Windows Search is still a Cortana process. If you remove Cortana in its entirety then you've removed Windows Search as well. There is no need to do this, as it's still possible to disable the PDA functions of Cortana while leaving Windows Search functions intact.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
totally agree with you on that one
I am still running win7 on my gaming desktop
while using a win10 laptop for browsing
Windows 10 is now more like Youtube and Facebook, full of crap and ads even though I tried to disable the appstore and made it look more like Win7 but after the last update the appstore is back again....
Its like running an OS infected with tons of adware
I had a NVIDIA driver crash problem in win7 whovh got fixed in win10
Otherwise i would keep both equal

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Windows 10 is the worst windows I have ever used in my life
I am very disappointed in the path Microsoft has chosen
I dislike the following:

The frequent notfication to upgrade from previous versions of windows
The automatic windows update and the fact that we can't choose not to install it the way we want
The Telemetry they collect is definitely personally identifiable even on basic in settings
The nagging to set up internet and a Microsoft account twice during installation
When installing at some point it says "leave everything to us"
They force us to upgrade by limiting office 2019, DirectX 12, microsoft store games and Xbox integration to windows 10
The removal of aero and in its place is the metro style themes
They made it harder to setup local accounts now it's called domain
High CPU usage, network usage spikes,
EVERY windows 10 update causes more bugs
Blue screens are normal in windows 10
Lower compatibility with older windows apps

Note: this post may be edited to add more things to the list
Thank you for your time :)

Windows 10 is the worst windows I have ever used in my life
I am very disappointed in the path Microsoft has chosen
I dislike the following:

The frequent notfication to upgrade from previous versions of windows
The automatic windows update and the fact that we can't choose not to install it the way we want
The Telemetry they collect is definitely personally identifiable even on basic in settings
The nagging to set up internet and a Microsoft account twice during installation
When installing at some point it says "leave everything to us"
They force us to upgrade by limiting office 2019, DirectX 12, microsoft store games and Xbox integration to windows 10
The removal of aero and in its place is the metro style themes
They made it harder to setup local accounts now it's called domain
High CPU usage, network usage spikes,
EVERY windows 10 update causes more bugs
Blue screens are normal in windows 10
Lower compatibility with older windows apps

Note: this post may be edited to add more things to the list
Thank you for your time :)

- You can blame people who never run updates for this. When people stave off updates for years, it causes more issues. However most updates can be deferred in 10.

- Telemetry can be disabled

- We are in 2019 in a highly connected world. The mass majority of people with a PC have high speed internet. Having the ability to make it easier when running setup makes sense.

- Microsoft is by no means required to write modern software for archaic OSes.

- People hated Aero when it first launched. Now they "love it". Just like everyone hated XP and its design and now they "miss it".

- I setup local accounts all the time. Its not that hard.

- Never had and CPU usage issues or network usage issues on over 300 Windows 10 systems deployed

- You think 8, 7 or XP were any better? Plenty of updates caused bugs in them as well. It is not new at all.

- BSoD are not normal in 10. They are mostly caused by hardware issues. I have only had one kind of BSoD on my home built system, one due to an unstable overclock. Otherwise I have never had a BSoD on that system.

- XP was the first Windows consumer based OS to support NTFS. Once people moved to it FAT32 applications no longer worked. You can't expect Microsoft to make sure all software ever always works with a newer OS.

Microsoft does not provide an option to completely disable telemetry.
- We are in 2019 in a highly connected world. The mass majority of people with a PC have high speed internet. Having the ability to make it easier when running setup makes sense.
But trying to hide the option to opt-out of this is not something I support.
- People hated Aero when it first launched. Now they "love it". Just like everyone hated XP and its design and now they "miss it".
I loved aero from the start. XP has never looked good, but it is nostalgic.

Reactions: Fire&Cold

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
- You can blame people who never run updates for this. When people stave off updates for years, it causes more issues. However most updates can be deferred in 10.

- Microsoft is by no means required to write modern software for archaic OSes.

- I setup local accounts all the time. Its not that hard.

- Never had and CPU usage issues or network usage issues on over 300 Windows 10 systems deployed

- You think 8, 7 or XP were any better? Plenty of updates caused bugs in them as well. It is not new at all.

- BSoD are not normal in 10. They are mostly caused by hardware issues. I have only had one kind of BSoD on my home built system, one due to an unstable overclock. Otherwise I have never had a BSoD on that system.

- XP was the first Windows consumer based OS to support NTFS. Once people moved to it FAT32 applications no longer worked. You can't expect Microsoft to make sure all software ever always works with a newer OS.

I don't agree with you

I know how to set up local accounts
I loved aero from start
Microsoft forces windows updates and those can cause more bugs and bsod
Maybe because you have high speed internet it doesn't mean most people with A PC has high speed. And some of us have limited data.
Microsoft is using bandwidth to install crappy games forcefully. I have fixed it
Telemetry can't be disabled

Microsoft does not provide an option to completely disable telemetry.

But trying to hide the option to opt-out of this is not something I support.

I loved aero from the start. XP has never looked good, but it is nostalgic.

There is no option, no. However it can be done:

If you cannot do a simple search then its not that important.

There is no "hiding the option" during initial setup however you can skip it as it comes up once and if you do not have internet then it will ask to make a local account right away.

I didn't say everyone but in general 7s Aero theme was not universally loved on launch. I can't tell you how many people said XP was better than 7. 7 however did have better adoption than Vista and eventually, thanks to 8, it became the new favorite Windows.

I don't agree with you

I know how to set up local accounts
I loved aero from start
Microsoft forces windows updates and those can cause more bugs and bsod
Maybe because you have high speed internet it doesn't mean most people with A PC has high speed. And some of us have limited data.
Microsoft is using bandwidth to install crappy games forcefully. I have fixed it
Telemetry can't be disabled

See above. I didn't say everyone just that in general Aero was not loved.

Yes updates can cause bugs but this is not exclusive to 10 even today:

Basically it is not a valid complaint since this is something that can and has happened with every OS. Software is not nearly as major a culprit of a BSoD, its normally hardware. However your statement was made to act as if it is a normal every day occurrence when it is not. The vast majority of people do not experience BSoD that often.

Everything is highly connected these days. And most people using a PC do have decent internet, again I didn't say everyone. Hell most countries have better internet than the majority of the US. However the fact is that networks will continue to grow and Microsoft develops its OS for the vast majority, not the minority.

See above for telemetry. You can do quite a bit if you are willing to search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS