Question Zotac 3070 ti amp holo high fan speeds but low temps

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Recently got a zotac 3070 ti amp holo which seems to perform fine besides the fan speeds. It doesnt seem to matter if the pc is at idle and temps are low the fan group 1 (left and middle fans) will always run at high speed. When underload the fans will either stay at the same speed or ramp up a little bit and the third fan (one on the right, group 2) will turn on as expected.
GPU temp is consistantly 25 degrees at idle but the fans are going crazy, they are so loud i have to use a headset to watch somthing.

Fan speeds reported as 0% for both group one and two, in both firestorm and afterburner. Manually setting the fan speed seems to do nothing and the same with setting a custom fan curve (in firestorm and afterburner).
I have updated to the latest driver and zotac doesn't seem to have any vbios avaliable to update that. Unfortuatly i bought the card 2nd hand so im unable to rma. Im wondering if maybe a dodgy fan connector on the board is to blame but im not too keen to pull it apart to check...

I uninstalled the driver using ddu, the only change is now just the middle fan is turning (still at full speed). HWinfo64 reports gpu fan 1 and 2 as being at 0 rpm and will go up when i set fans to 100% in afterburner. Adjusting the fan curve in after burner still seems to do nothing.

Not really sure what else i can do so any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

edit: reflashed vbios, didn't seem to make a difference

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
aio cooler
16gb 3200mhz t force ram
Gigabyte b450 aorus elite mobo
Various ssds (m.2 and 2.5" sata) and a hdd

Last edited:

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Unfortuatly i bought the card 2nd hand so im unable to rma.
Seems to me like the card was used for mining and it's compromised the cooling/fan curve on the card.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Yeah I have a feeling that is the case, was just hoping for the best..
PSU is gigabyte p850gm and is brand new, bought it yesterday.

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
^ You might want to go through Gamers Nexus video on that PSU....it's more of an expensive paper weight. It could very well be your PSU...curious though what PSU were you working with prior to the Gigabyte unit?
Yeah i had seen that video before i bought it, theres a new revision of it now that seems to be without issues and i checked the serial number to make sure it was that revision before i bought it.
Before i had a cooler master mpx-7501-amaab but swaped it at the same time i put the 3070ti in.

For sanity's sake i check the gpu before i swapped the psu and it was having the same fan issues