Question “Network cable unplugged” after installing a PCIe network card ?

Fireflasher361

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Hello, I just installed a network card into the PCIE 1x slot on my motherboard, which was supposed to be plug and play, and when I try to connect my CAT6A ethernet cable to it, it just reads “Network cable unplugged” under the new Ethernet option under network connections in Win 10. I was using this cable in the ethernet port on my motherboard and it was working fine so it’s not the cable. It clicked when I slid it in as well and I have refastened it several times to rule that out. I did try uninstalling the Realtek driver thru the device manager and also removing it using the realtek software but neither had any difference in results.

This is the card I installed for reference:

And this is my motherboard:

If there’s any other info I can provide I’m happy to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't be this difficult and suspect it is faulty. Did the card come in a static bag and was taped closed?

Does the system detect something in pcie 1x slot? Carefully check inside the network port for anything abnormal.

Fireflasher361

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Shouldn't be this difficult and suspect it is faulty. Did the card come in a static bag and was taped closed?

Does the system detect something in pcie 1x slot? Carefully check inside the network port for anything abnormal.
Yeah it came in a static bag and was taped closed. The system does detect something. It comes up as a new ethernet option under the network connections list and remains there even without anything plugged into its ethernet port. And it also goes away when I remove it from the PCIE 1x slot on my motherboard. I've provided an image below of how it shows up. It seems like the system doesnt have a problem detecting that the network card is plugged into the PCIE slot but for some reason cant detect that there is an ethernet cable plugged into that network card despite the cable working fine.

6VIsoP4.png

Last edited:
I just installed a network card into the PCIE 1x slot on my motherboard,
when I try to connect my CAT6A ethernet cable to it, it just reads “Network cable unplugged”
It's probably showing - cable disconnected for your integrated ethernet controller.
Did you disable integrated ethernet controller in device manager?
Can you show a screenshot for ?
ipconfig /all
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

BTW - what's wrong with integrated? Why did you need a discrete lan card?

Fireflasher361

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
It's probably showing - cable disconnected for your integrated ethernet controller.
Did you disable integrated ethernet controller in device manager?
Can you show a screenshot for ?
ipconfig /all
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

BTW - what's wrong with integrated? Why did you need a discrete lan card?
I tried disabling the integrated ethernet controller but it made no difference, the network card still wouldn't detect the ethernet cable. I provided a screenshot of what it looks like below. Im currently using the integrated ethernet controller to connect since it's the only one that works. I'll provide a screenshot of the ipconfig all as well. As for the reason I got a discrete lan card it's because the one that came with my motherboard is degraded and gets hard capped at 100 mbps so I decided to buy a new network card to see if it fixes it. I've tried countless solutions to that issue and it seems to indicate the problem is that my ethernet port or integrated network card is busted.

image.jpg

image.png

image.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried another network cable though? Gigabit needs all functioning 8 wires, it'll default to megabit 4 wires if something is wrong with any of them or plug not crimped correctly. It's possible and more likely the cable is your issue, mobo nic could have slightly wider or deeper contacts to be the difference between barely detecting and faulting the cable.

Last edited:
What is ethernet3. Are you trying to run both the new ethernet card and the one on the motherboard at the same time. Do you have both have cables plugged in. Note it is messy to try to run 2 ethernet ports in one machine.

Ethenret3 seems to be fully functional and connected to the internet