Question 100% Disk usage on both SSDs ?

Jun 13, 2022
I have searched the internet for a week now and tried everything that I can possibly think of (and everything pretty much every forum has suggested). Every time I launch Rust (I have played rust for over 2k hours on this pc) it goes into the initial loading screen, then my whole pc freezes, followed by a error message from rust saying "unable to start game". I have ran task manager in the background and started it many times, every time, both SSD's (Windows SSD, and gaming SSD) spike to 100%, everything else is normal. I have tried the following things, however I am probably not listing them all:

• -Reinstalling steam and rust
  • -Reinstalling nvidia drivers
  • -Fully factory reset PC through windows reset
  • -Fully wiped and reformatted gaming SSD
  • -Ran windows defender for every possible kind of scan it will do
  • -Used a ram checker and checked ram
  • -Used windows to check both SSD's
  • -Power supply is running as should

At this point, I have reset my entire PC and have no other ideas as to what could be causing it except a hardware issue. Since both SSD's are running at 100% this leads me to think something is wrong with the RAM that I currently have. If I can't find a solution soon, i'm just going to start buying new parts lol.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, IM GOING CRAZY

PC SPECS:
Motherboard: X570 AORUS ELITE
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: 1070ti
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
Windows SSD: 250GB
Games SSD: 1TB

Ralston18

Titan
Being that the problem is occurring on two drives and continues after all of your efforts to date suggests that there is some problem app or configuration.

Boot the computer as normal but do not launch any apps, browsers, or games.

Look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to see what all is running once the computer has booted.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Allow the computer some time to to reach a steady state where nothing is changing.

If apps and utilities keep opening, closing, continuing to run etc., then the reasons why that is happening will need to be discovered.

The overall objective being to discover what is perhaps continually reading/writing to the SSDs or trying to do so.

However, if system boots normally and SSD %'s are "normal" (not 100 %) then one by one methodically launch apps and games as usual.

Allow time between each launch.

Hopefully, one of those apps will cause the SSD activity to hit 100% and be identified as the culprit.

Or may be some combination of apps.

Take your time, be methodical, Change only one thing at a time.

The root problem may become immediately apparent or show up some time later during your troubleshooting efforts.

Post accordingly.

I have searched the internet for a week now and tried everything that I can possibly think of (and everything pretty much every forum has suggested). Every time I launch Rust (I have played rust for over 2k hours on this pc) it goes into the initial loading screen, then my whole pc freezes, followed by a error message from rust saying "unable to start game". I have ran task manager in the background and started it many times, every time, both SSD's (Windows SSD, and gaming SSD) spike to 100%, everything else is normal. I have tried the following things, however I am probably not listing them all:

• -Reinstalling steam and rust
  • -Reinstalling nvidia drivers
  • -Fully factory reset PC through windows reset
  • -Fully wiped and reformatted gaming SSD
  • -Ran windows defender for every possible kind of scan it will do
  • -Used a ram checker and checked ram
  • -Used windows to check both SSD's
  • -Power supply is running as should
At this point, I have reset my entire PC and have no other ideas as to what could be causing it except a hardware issue. Since both SSD's are running at 100% this leads me to think something is wrong with the RAM that I currently have. If I can't find a solution soon, i'm just going to start buying new parts lol.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, IM GOING CRAZY

PC SPECS:
Motherboard: X570 AORUS ELITE
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: 1070ti
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
Windows SSD: 250GB
Games SSD: 1TB
Just to take a peek run a pass of crystal disk info for both disk.
Post a screenshot for each.

AGru__

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
I'm coming from rust forums. I've been looking for someone having the same issue like me. When i launch the game. the pc freezes for a bit then followed by an error Failed to start the game (2). I tried literally everything. but moving the game to another drive helped me a little, now the game launches but the pc freeze still occurs. don't know what's causing it, the thing that is weird is we have the same processor and motherboard I got X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI and Ryzen 7 5800x

Jun 13, 2022
I'm coming from rust forums. I've been looking for someone having the same issue like me. When i launch the game. the pc freezes for a bit then followed by an error Failed to start the game (2). I tried literally everything. but moving the game to another drive helped me a little, now the game launches but the pc freeze still occurs. don't know what's causing it, the thing that is weird is we have the same processor and motherboard I got X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI and Ryzen 7 5800x
Hmmm.. Very strange.... I hope we can find an answer my friend.

Jun 13, 2022
Being that the problem is occurring on two drives and continues after all of your efforts to date suggests that there is some problem app or configuration.

Boot the computer as normal but do not launch any apps, browsers, or games.

Look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to see what all is running once the computer has booted.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Allow the computer some time to to reach a steady state where nothing is changing.

If apps and utilities keep opening, closing, continuing to run etc., then the reasons why that is happening will need to be discovered.

The overall objective being to discover what is perhaps continually reading/writing to the SSDs or trying to do so.

However, if system boots normally and SSD %'s are "normal" (not 100 %) then one by one methodically launch apps and games as usual.

Allow time between each launch.

Hopefully, one of those apps will cause the SSD activity to hit 100% and be identified as the culprit.

Or may be some combination of apps.

Take your time, be methodical, Change only one thing at a time.

The root problem may become immediately apparent or show up some time later during your troubleshooting efforts.

Post accordingly.
Maybe this will show a little better.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdvdNVCiP-o

Jun 13, 2022
Can you try moving the game to the other drive and report back
Yeah sure, also, i'm going to go buy new ram (i've been wanting an upgrade anyway) and this IT guy at work is convinced it is faulty ram that system checks are finding.. However, I don't think that is the case but it gives me a reason to upgrade to 32gb of 3600mhz ram lol

Add me on discord since we have the same problem: RedCheeqs#3972

Jun 13, 2022
I switched rust to the other drive, after they both spiked to 100, rust's error popped up and my c drive went down from 100 but my G drive stayed at 100. I am reinstalling steam on the C drive currently in order to rule out faulty G drive

Jun 13, 2022
Another note is that when Rust was being installing on the C drive, it was running at 99% most of the time, even spiking to 100%. I'm not sure if that is normal or not, almost makes me think it does have something to do with the RAM after all, maybe the tech guy at work was right..

Jun 13, 2022
Another new piece of info, now that steam and rust are installed on the C drive, only the C drive goes to 100% when rust is starting. Before, rust and steam were installed on G drive and both were at 100%. I also got a new error when launching Rust, will post screenshot below
https://ibb.co/ZM53BR8

Ralston18

Titan
G: drive?

Is "G" correct or possibly a typo?

How many drives are installed?

Open the Disk Management window and expand to show all drives and accompanying specs.

Take a screenshot and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Also if running any gaming related apps then disable those apps for testing purposes. Determine if the problem ends.

Regarding Error 29 EAC.

FYI:

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-rust-eac-disconnected-error/

From the link:

"The EAC abbreviation stands for EasyAntiCheat and it’s the tool the game uses to recognize cheaters and hackers in order to ban them from the game. The error occurs when the EAC client fails to establish a proper connection which should ensure you do not have any cheats installed. Since the connection can’t be established for some reason, this error pops up, and the game won’t be launched. "

Jun 13, 2022
G: drive?

Is "G" correct or possibly a typo?

How many drives are installed?

Open the Disk Management window and expand to show all drives and accompanying specs.

Take a screenshot and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Also if running any gaming related apps then disable those apps for testing purposes. Determine if the problem ends.

Regarding Error 29 EAC.

FYI:

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-rust-eac-disconnected-error/

From the link:

"The EAC abbreviation stands for EasyAntiCheat and it’s the tool the game uses to recognize cheaters and hackers in order to ban them from the game. The error occurs when the EAC client fails to establish a proper connection which should ensure you do not have any cheats installed. Since the connection can’t be established for some reason, this error pops up, and the game won’t be launched. "
Thats just what i have the drive called. One of the videos i posted shows both drives. I have tried all EAC things. I have a completely wiped computer so no gaming apps are running. The only thing on the computer is Steam, Rust, OBS, and Chrome.

Jun 13, 2022
I have the drive called G because i used to have 3 hard drives and it is easy for me to know which one to pick when downloading different things. G for gaming. C i left because everyone knows the C drive is your booting drive

Jun 13, 2022
Im am going to reinstall a fresh copy of windows on my 1tb ssd that I know is working fine. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to try each 8gb stick of ram to see if one of the sticks is the problem. Will update after

AGru__

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
on this forum people say reverting to win 10 fixes the problem, I haven't tried it myself but If you are installing fresh windows, maybe do 10 instead and try