[SOLVED] 100% SSD Disk Usage in COD:MW and others

blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Hello guys,
I've been having a problem whenever I try to play either PUBG, Warzone or even sometimes Global Offensive which is getting a disk usage of 100%, which, as you can imagine, makes the pc unusable.

In Global Offensive it makes the game occasionally crash (when in fact spikes to 100%) and in PUBG and Warzone, textures take a long time to load and sounds get pretty chopped because of the disk usage.

My computer is like a year old and it has pretty good components, at least to have all of these games playing smoothly, as I had before.

I re-installed Windows on my SSD aswell as everything in it and re-downloaded Warzone and it still happens the same and I even got this screenshot of the usage it was having at a certain time, which was in the order of the 1.5Gb/s! (which I'm attaching below).

callofduty.png

I've tried disabling automatic system driver paging, reinstalling windows as I've said, updating all drivers, I really don't know what could be the problem here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Here's my setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 6 2600X
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

RAM: 32 GB (One 16GB stick and two 8GB sticks, not working in dual channel but doubt this would be the problem as I've played all of these games smoothly before)
DISK: A 2TB Seagate 7200RPM
SSD (where I have my games installed): Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

EDIT2: I've played PUBG for the first time since I reinstalled Windows and it's working like a charm, CS is probably running well, aswell, only COD is giving me this issue

TLDR: Warzone, PUBG and CSGO increase disk usage to 100%, help me as I'm potato with no solution.

Last edited:
Solution
You should revert to having a 2x8GB load out with the rams, are the two sticks of 8 the same make an model? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? We will need to know the make and model of the motherboard as well as the PSU's make and model and it's age.

You should also fire up Samsung's Magician tool to see if your SSD has any firmware updates pending. You on the latest version for Windows 10? We're on 20H2 at the time of writing.

Lutfij

Titan
You should revert to having a 2x8GB load out with the rams, are the two sticks of 8 the same make an model? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? We will need to know the make and model of the motherboard as well as the PSU's make and model and it's age.

You should also fire up Samsung's Magician tool to see if your SSD has any firmware updates pending. You on the latest version for Windows 10? We're on 20H2 at the time of writing.

Solution

blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012

Thank you for the quick response, I'm sorry for for forgetting to insert my motherboard information, it's the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, I'll update the original post aswell,

My plan is to sell my 2 sticks of 8gbs and buy a single of 16gb so i can dual channel it as I bought two sticks by mistake when I was assembling my computer but could it be because of that?

My BIOS version (as stated on the "System Information" window, in "BIOS Version/Date") is American Megatrends Inc. F41, 22-Jul-19,

I've already used Samsung's Magicial Tool to update the SSD's firmware to the same result, afterwards.

I am on the 20H2 updated Windows version!

My PSU is a beQuiet 500W, if I'm not mistaken on the wattage.

Last edited:

blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012

I went to the Gigabyte website and they have a few updates for the BIOS (some six) where a few are accompanied by letters, by order: F42f, F50, F51, F52, F60c, should I update to the latest? I've always read that BIOS updates were to be avoided because there was some probability of data loss but I'll do it in a few minutes

blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Hey, I have the same issue right now of my SSD spiking to 100% and I'm not accessing it.
I've even ordered a new NVMe off amazon and that has the same issue. I've ruled out my RAM, GPU and CPU. I can run the games off my SATA HDD wihout issue, though.

Does your crashing look something similar to this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bcNzrDLC38

The video was removed but I'd like to share the fix as I've applied it 4 days ago and have been testing to check if it was really the fix to the problem - and it was. All I did was update my BIOS from version F41 to F52 and everything started working like a charm!

I hope it works for you!