100TX problems?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Havin 100Tx problems with network!

Most machines on the LinkSys 8 port router/switch will autosense and run 100Tx full dup. Have a problem child that won't. Have to manually set it back to 10X full dup. Thought it might be the cheap WinBond 10/100 Nic. Changed it to a LinkSys Tx100 like others on the LAN. Opps, still no 100tx. Now where's the problem?

Cableing? If I put the box upstairs closer to the hub I can get 100Tx. Put it on a longer run downstairs no 100Tx, but 10 OK... Cabling is Cat5 pulled thru conduit - a problem to redo. Isn't Cat5/100tx supposed to be able to go like 300meters. This shot's only like 110-125 ft.

What's restricting the line speed to 10X?. Doesn't seam to be the workstation.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Could be a problem with interference. Is your conduit running power too? You cannot run CatV paralell (never could spell it) to power cables for any distance.

Oh yeat - CatV will (guarenteed) run to a maximum of 100m, but it needs certified installation to do so. Of course, often you can run it further, but it is luck of the draw.

How many joints do you have in the cable - is it on a patch frame, or plug to plug? There should be a minimum number of connections on a CatV 100m run. If you have to run through a power trunk, use STP cable, but you have to install that right.

CatV is very forgiving, but it isn't telephone cable. There are minimum turn radii, maximum lengths of cable allowed exposed from sheathing etc. As you are finding - it is much more tolerant at 10Mbs.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Also, have you terminated the ends of the Cat5 properly? Are you using TIA 568-A or 568-B standards? (color coded properly, not just straight through with no particular order). Could be that it needs re-terminating?

When you put the cabling through the conduit, did you pull on the cable with some force? Pulling can stretch the cord and change the twist on the pairs inside.

I'd think it's interference though... Power cables will do it. If you must run by power cabling, you should run perpendicular to it. Could the conduit pick up interference as well (and induct the interference into the Cat5?)... What is the conduit made of? Is it grounded?

TRENDING THREADS