[SOLVED] 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz or both for dual monitors?

Aug 9, 2021
I'm going into CS for university and wanted to set up dual monitors, but I'm having trouble finding the right pair.

Some stuff to let you guys know: I'm planning on playing games that range from intensive games like Warzone to light games like Valorant. Also, with the expensive GPU's because of COVID, I decided to use my old RX 570 instead of buying a new gpu.

With this in mind, I thought of getting 2 of these 1080p 144hz monitors, but apparently, 1080p on 27 inch monitors creates chunky and uncomfortable text for coding.
So then, I thought of getting 2 1440p dual monitors, as they apparently give a better experience when doing programming, but then I wouldn't be able to run some games on 1440p at 60fps because of my GPU.

Right now, I'm thinking about getting this 31.5" 1440p144hz monitor as my main, and pairing it with this 27" 1080p 144hz monitor for gaming, but I'm wary of having 2 different monitors (especially different in size & resolution) together.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some good suggestions because I am really stumped on this.

Solution
I plan to play games with only 1 monitor; the other monitor would just be for other stuff like when i need to multitask

My specs would be the rx 570, ryzen 3 3300x, and 16gb ram @ 3200mhz
Do you really need such a fast refresh rate for multitasking?

For your none-gaming monitor, you could get an decent quality monitor with lower refresh rate, perhaps at 60Hz instead.

Your secondary monitor could be used for browsing webs during coding or be used as a display for the actual coding idle itself. This way you could lessen the pressure put on your GPU. Though using two monitor for browsing webs and coding shouldn't take much resources.
Aug 9, 2021
Are you attempting to also play games with both monitor simultaneously?

Also what is your full specs? CPU, RAM?

I plan to play games with only 1 monitor; the other monitor would just be for other stuff like when i need to multitask

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

For your none-gaming monitor, you could get an decent quality monitor with lower refresh rate, perhaps at 60Hz instead.

Your secondary monitor could be used for browsing webs during coding or be used as a display for the actual coding idle itself. This way you could lessen the pressure put on your GPU. Though using two monitor for browsing webs and coding shouldn't take much resources.

Reactions: Zagre
Solution
Aug 9, 2021

So for my non gaming monitor, I would get a 27 inch 1440p 60hz monitor, but for my gaming monitor, I'd be forced to get a 1080p 144hz since my gpu wouldn't be able to run 1440p games. But my concern with this is that I'd be mixing 2 different resolutions together

Jun 27, 2021
Throwing my two cents in.

Make sure that both monitors are preferably the same refresh rate. I have a 32inch 144hz monitor and a 27inch 60hz monitor, and when motion is displayed on the 60hz, my 144hz stutters. With my new gpu this effect is reduced (1080ti to 3080), but it's still noticeable.

There are supposed "fixes" you can find around the web for this behavior, but none of them worked for me. :)

Reactions: Zagre and chaoyang