Allame

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hello,
I'm trying to upgrade my pc but I lost with CPUs . I want a CPU that lives ~4years before I upgrade it. gaming pc

this is my build without my old CPU and motherboard 5 years old build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/allame93/saved/BKv9cf

for the CPUs price
11400f 239.78$
10400f 211.57$
3600 211.57$

for motherboards, I guess b550 for AMD and 560 for intel

Solution
With both Intel and AMD the sockets they are currently on are basically discontinued after this generation. As I understand AMD is coming with a new socket again after 5xxx called AM5.

If you go Intel, I would stick with a 5xx chipset and would at least consider the 11500 for the better integrated graphics. Also PCI gen 4 support (chipset with 11th gen CPU).

At this current moment in time having an F spec Intel or non G spec Ryzen means you have a door stop without a working GPU. Even if you have one now, and it fails....well, you see where I am going.

If you opt to go with a good motherboard for the AMD it does open a really superb upgrade path in the R7/9 flavors should your needs or desire change. Be aware either way...

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
I would go with 3600, because you'll have B550, and you can upgrade then to for example: Ryzen 9 5900X in a time, with the Intel you will have to buy another Motherboard when upgrading as intel is releasing new sockets/boards quite often.

11400F maybe will be a little bit better in game performance but i dont know, recently Intel CPUs are harder to cool than Ryzens (especially with 3600 - box cooler can simply cool it to maintain under 75-80°C in games).

It's not rule but also AMD motherboards sometimes are cheaper than Intel equivalents.

Allame

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
I would go with 3600, because you'll have B550, and you can upgrade then to for example: Ryzen 9 5900X in a time, with the Intel you will have to buy another Motherboard when upgrading as intel is releasing new sockets/boards quite often.

11400F maybe will be a little bit better in game performance but i dont know, recently Intel CPUs are harder to cool than Ryzens (especially with 3600 - box cooler can simply cool it to maintain under 75-80°C in games).

It's not rule but also AMD motherboards sometimes are cheaper than Intel equivalents.
whats about my graphic card rx 480 dose it will work fine with 3600?
do you have any recommend motherboards?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With both Intel and AMD the sockets they are currently on are basically discontinued after this generation. As I understand AMD is coming with a new socket again after 5xxx called AM5.

If you go Intel, I would stick with a 5xx chipset and would at least consider the 11500 for the better integrated graphics. Also PCI gen 4 support (chipset with 11th gen CPU).

At this current moment in time having an F spec Intel or non G spec Ryzen means you have a door stop without a working GPU. Even if you have one now, and it fails....well, you see where I am going.

If you opt to go with a good motherboard for the AMD it does open a really superb upgrade path in the R7/9 flavors should your needs or desire change. Be aware either way (AMD/Intel) that if you get a motherboard based on price rather than things like VRM quality it can cause issue down the road with going to more power hungry CPU.
One other thing to consider is RAM speed and price. Ryzen is going to want fast RAM to be it's best. The Intel won't take the penalty as hard.

Solution

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Of course it will run fine, but it'll be a bottleneck for PC (it's normal to GPU be a bottleneck in system) , you can pair the 3600 with RTX2080Ti and it should be good without bigger bottlenecking on CPU.

With B550 i can only recommend "ASUS TUF B550M-Plus Wifi" (Or variant without wifi, doesn't matter), i think its pretty good motherboard for its price (in our region at least)

About RAM as it was said, AMD are more ram "hungry", but either Intel or AMD, i wouldnt go slower than 3000MHz, 2666MHz is too slow.
If comparing in my region in shop named "Alza"
(https://www.alza.sk/hyperx-16gb-kit-ddr4-3200mhz-cl16-predator-series-d4300649.htm?o=5 and https://www.alza.sk/kingston-16gb-kit-2666mhz-ddr4-sdram-cl13-hyperx-predator-d4980405.htm?o=6)

They are same price, if I'm gonna look for another vendor, there are 5-10€ differences between 2666MHz and 3200MHz modules.

I wouldn't say RAM could be main price problem, but cooling can, on 11400F possibly not, but going with 11600/11700 without bigger cooler is suicide, and if money is the question, then i would go AMD, you can perfectly cool down 3600 with box cooler.

Allame

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016

If you opt to go with a good motherboard for the AMD it does open a really superb upgrade path in the R7/9 flavors should your needs or desire change. Be aware either way (AMD/Intel) that if you get a motherboard based on price rather than things like VRM quality it can cause issue down the road with going to more power hungry CPU.
One other thing to consider is RAM speed and price. Ryzen is going to want fast RAM to be it's best. The Intel won't take the penalty as hard.
i guess i'm going to AMD i found this in the local store
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS AMD B550 Addressable Gen 2 is it a good one? Does it support all AMD CPUs before AM5 ?

Jun 19, 2021
hello,
I'm trying to upgrade my pc but I lost with CPUs . I want a CPU that lives ~4years before I upgrade it. gaming pc

this is my build without my old CPU and motherboard 5 years old build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/allame93/saved/BKv9cf

for the CPUs price
11400f 239.78$
10400f 211.57$
3600 211.57$

for motherboards, I guess b550 for AMD and 560 for intel
I would personally go with the 11400F

If I'm building right now, of the options you list, I would go with the Ryzen 5 3600. Just because you get better cpu options with probably a 20% uplift in performance with the Ryzen 5000 series. Yes, next year both AMD and Intel likely will introduce new sockets and there will be new ram etc, but if keeping this system 4-5 years is what is desired and you are building today, then I say Ryzen will last longer than Intel, just because you should be able to flash the bios on the motherboard later and update to the Ryzen 5000 series which whenever you make that move, should give some extra performance. Just make sure to get a decent cooler as the newer Ryzens can run warm, but with a decent cooler are perfectly fine.