Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Hello guys, ;)

I am new to this forum. I read a lot of good stuff here and I did manage to solve lot of my problems. But, now I have silly problem I could not solve. I wanted to make my first PC Battle-station. I bought ASUS Z390-E gaming mobo and Kingston Predator 3200 MHz RBG 2x16Gb kit HX432C16PB3AK2/32.

Before buying I checked manual for memory compatibility. At first, I tried to install memories in suggested memory slots, like I found in pdf manual in slots B2 and A2 and that did not worked. Then I put 2x16GB in slots A1 and A2 and that worked fine. After that I installed windows 10 pro with uefi bios and everything is working fine.

Month after that I bought one more kit to upgrade my machine to 64 Gb of total memory. But there is where the problem started. I put all 4 modules in all 4 slots, they all started to shine nice RBG patterns, but after few reset on starting the computer, yellow LED on mobo for memory started to lit.

I put new 2x16Gb in A1 and A2 and worked fine. Then I put old 2x16 Gb in B1 and B2 and then I got yellow light again. I tried all combinations, new and old memories in A1 and in A2 everything works. But when I put one module in B1 or B2 or in both B1 and B2 I got yellow light again.

I did not changed anything in my bios. It is all on default values. I am not an overclocking kind of guy so I want to keep all to run smoothly. Only thing I did is to update bios to latest version, but that did not helped.
I am out of ideas.

Is it possible that mobo can handle 64GB of regular memory but only 32GB of RGB memory?
Does RGB feature limits capacity?
Instructions for my mobo says it can uses 64GB with 4x16GB non-RGB, but for RGB modules, all combinations are limited to 32 GB (2x16, 4x8 GB). Or maybe there is not enough power to memory? That's what I concluded... And finaly I found on Crucial site that all memory combinations for rgb memory https://www.crucial.com/products/gaming-memory are kits of two. Even 64GB is kit of two, not kit of 4. Anyone has experience with this?

Rgds

Last edited:
Solution
I know my motherboard support up to 128GB 4666MHz of RAM in 4 slots, but nothing in B1 and B2 works.

This is what Asus said:
"Regarding the below described case, we kindly inform you that the RAM modules with the referred part numbers have not been officially tested by Asus with your product and therefore compatible to it. "

My question is how then 2 dimms in A1 and A2 works but not in B1 and B2 slots?

This is reply from Kingston, I told them of what my motherboard is and sent them photos of my memories:
"It is unfortunately not possible to install 64GB modules as this is not supported by your system. "

My question is what they mean 64GB modules AS THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED?
To begin with...

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
update the BIOS of your motherboard

reset the BIOS clear CMOS by jumper after that

Hi, thanks for reply. I updated bios this morning to newest version, nothing happened. But I did not do anything else.
After I hold reset jumpers for 15s, should I start system with 2 dimms, then to add 2 dimms or to put 4 dimms immediately after CMOS reset?
What about uefi boot? Would it impact windows booting?

Last edited:
eventually you will have to set the boot order to "windows boot manager" again after the reset

set all 4 dimms into the slots, reset the BIOS and try booting after that

reseat the RAM more than one time to be sure it´s no connection problem

have a look for bent pins at the CPU socket of the motherboard if that didn´t help

There might be two issues here.

Check this first! It seems there are problems when trying to use B channel memory slots.

Check that channel B memory slots have NOT been disabled in BIOS.

Remove the CPU and check very carefully the CPU and its socket. Make sure there are no damaged or bent pins. Also check that there is no debris, dust, dirt etc on or among the pins and pads.

And then remount the CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven mounting may cause loss of some pin and pad contact which in turn can cause memory issues.

After doing the above, trying to run two memory kits (even though they may be the same part number) is a bit of a gamble as to whether they will work together or not. There are several ways to improve chances of all the memory modules working together.

1) Try the memory modules from one kit in slots A2 and B2. The other modules from the other kit should therefore go in slots A1 and B1. If this doesn't work then swap the modules within the slots.

2) Increase DRAM Voltage in BIOS to no more than 1.35 V.

3) Ease off memory module timings, and/or maybe reduce frequency as well in BIOS.

4) Increase CPU System Agent Boot Voltage a bit in BIOS.

5) Last option is to try alternative memory kits until a compatible combination is found.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Hello guys,

Thanks for help. Unfortunately, Kingston sent me an e-mail letting me know that I can not use more than 32 GB (I am so sad :().
But, they haven't told me if I can not use more than 32 GB of any kind or of RBG kind or of this particular model.
I asked them that question, if they reply to me, I will be pleased to share that knowledge with you.

By the way, how to do this, because I am not sure that I have that option in BIOS: "Check this first! It seems there are problems when trying to use B channel memory slots. "

First check cpu socket for bent pins. With bent cpu pins, some ram slots may be inoperable.
Make a photo of cpu socket and show here (upload to imgur.com and post link).

Then try booting your system with single ram module. Try the module in all ram slots.
Your system should be able to boot in all attempts.

According to the specifications here, the motherboard supports up to 64 GB of memory!

To check if channel B has been disabled - boot into BIOS, then select Advanced mode, then select Ai Tweaker, then scroll down to Channel B DIMM Control and make sure this is set to Enable Both DIMM's.

If you don't have the BIOS manual for this motherboard you can download it from here, and select the download ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_BIOS_EM_WEB User’s Manual ( English ).

"Kingston sent me an e-mail letting me know that I can not use more than 32 GB"

Your understanding of what Kingston told you cannot be right.
Your motherboard supports up to 32GB in each slot, so you probably misunderstood what Kingston told you.

Makes no difference whether it's RGB RAM or regular RAM.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I know my motherboard support up to 128GB 4666MHz of RAM in 4 slots, but nothing in B1 and B2 works.

This is what Asus said:
"Regarding the below described case, we kindly inform you that the RAM modules with the referred part numbers have not been officially tested by Asus with your product and therefore compatible to it. "

This is reply from Kingston, I told them of what my motherboard is and sent them photos of my memories:
"It is unfortunately not possible to install 64GB modules as this is not supported by your system. "

My question is what they mean 64GB modules AS THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED?

Last edited:
Did you check cpu socket for bent pins?

My question is what they mean 64GB modules AS THIS?
That means - you can not install 64GB modules on your board (64GB in single module).

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
According to the specifications here, the motherboard supports up to 64 GB of memory!

To check if channel B has been disabled - boot into BIOS, then select Advanced mode, then select Ai Tweaker, then scroll down to Channel B DIMM Control and make sure this is set to Enable Both DIMM's.

If you don't have the BIOS manual for this motherboard you can download it from here, and select the download ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_BIOS_EM_WEB User’s Manual ( English ).
I found the option it says:
CHANNEL A DIMM CONTROL - ENABLE BOTH DIMM,
CHANNEL B DIMM CONTROL - ENABLE BOTH DIMM.

Last edited:

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
First check cpu socket for bent pins. With bent cpu pins, some ram slots may be inoperable.
Make a photo of cpu socket and show here (upload to imgur.com and post link).

Then try booting your system with single ram module. Try the module in all ram slots.
Your system should be able to boot in all attempts.
I was as careful as possible. I think that is least possible... but who knows...

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Did you check cpu socket for bent pins?

That means - you can not install 64GB modules on your board (64GB in single module).
I have 4x16GB dimms, why I cannot install that? And Kingston obviously made a mistake. I sent them images of dimms with their product numbers, they should have know that they are 4x16 GB, not 4x64GB.
I wrote them email again, waiting for reply.
I have not checked yet for bent pins. I want to check every other possibility.

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I pictured my mobo. It is impossible that I had bent this pin this perfect way. It looks like force is applied from left to right to a single. Pin is not bent on top of the right pin, but below. It is impossible. If I applied any kind of force, regarding that pins are so small, I will bend some other pins, at least nearby. This is bent surgically precise. Look at the images, all other pins are untouched. How could I bend such small pin on such crazy way and not touching any other pins? Not even touching pin on the right. It will break all laws of physics to do this by accident. An experienced expert could not do that on purpose. So it is impossible that I did it. I am 100% board was defective from the beginning.

Look other pins on image where I pictured socket from top. All of them are perfect. How is possible that I could bend this pin accidentaly not touching any other. NO WAY.

View: https://imgur.com/gBS5v6d

View: https://imgur.com/NGSRw6X

View: https://imgur.com/3yMOI6G

View: https://imgur.com/SSD3oKW

View: https://imgur.com/6HV5O9N

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I know, but it is impossible that I did this. Even if I did this, which is impossible, how to be sure not to do again. Its crazy. I wrote a letter to asus and to supplier. Every man with elementary knowledge of logic will tell that this is impossible to do.
I will patiently wait for reply. Ok I will spend money on new mobo, but I dont want anybody to tell me that I did something what is impossible to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.