G

Okay, the 200 Mhz FSB that most places selling tbirds claim, is that their max setting? If so, what is the advantage of getting higher speed memory to run on it? Or is it possible to overclock the PC133 to 150 or higher? There are a lot of things I dont know a ton about, and this is one. I plan on buying a 800-900 mhz Tbird at 200mhz FSB and overclocking.

#Ranked <font color=blue>6 in US</font color=blue> 2v2 Cstrike# -Feb 7 OGL Ladder (well, it's one of the largest ladders)

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lets clarify a few points. BUS speeds are currently 100MHz and 133MHz for the processor and memory and 33MHz for the PCI cards. Athlon processors are "double pumped" and P4 processors are "quad pumped" (see Tom's article for details) and so the manufacturers feel they can claim their processors run at 200MHz(Athlon) and 400MHz (P4) BUS speeds. This is inacurate and misleading but not outright lying so there is nothing you can do about it.

DDR SDRAM is also "double pumped" in a different way and so is also described as running at 200 and 266MHz. In either case, doubling the bandwidth does increase but not double the speed.

For best performance, you want a DDR motherboard at 133MHz with a Athlon processor runing at 133MHz bus speed and PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Again see Tom's articles for details.

Hope this helps.

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James

mpjesse

Splendid
I'll make it simple:
Buy a T-bird 800, unlock the processor (using Tom's overclocking guide), buy a KT7 (abit board) and OC the bus speed to 133mhz. Set the multiplier to 8 and get a real good HSF. Then you'll have a 1Ghz Athlon on a 133mhz FSB. Get some good PC133 memory too. If you want to go DDR, let me know and i'll give some more advise.

-MP Jesse

G

Think I can push a 750 Tbird to 1ghz? and still keep it stable? Yeah I know, 250 is a big jump.... what is the advantage of going DDR? is that something that's going to be really big in the near future? (I'm still living in the past, coming out of my shell and catching up on what's new)

#Ranked <font color=blue>6 in US</font color=blue> 2v2 Cstrike# -Feb 7 OGL Ladder (well, it's one of the largest ladders)

mpjesse

Splendid
I don't see why not. Try it. You might need a voltage increase though. Advantage of DDR is not a whole lot right now. It offers a lot more bandwidth which is good for peeps who overclock the FSB (like me). But, if your running on a 100mhz FSB you won't see much a difference. I improved my 3d mark score 500 points with DDR RAM.

-MP Jesse