[SOLVED] 2080 Ti still relevant in 2021? Question about purchase.

Gazownik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Hello,

I've got quite an unusual (I think) question about GPU's.

I've sold my 1080 ti last year with the thought of buying 3080 on the day of release - and You probably know how it went... (I still don't have it).

Lately, I was able to find a seller that has got an Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti Gaming OC for 615€ with 1 more year of warranty and I wonder if I should get one instead of a PS5 (because currently, I'm playing on a ps4 instead of games on an integrated GPU).

Or maybe should I wait till Q3/Q4 because I've heard there might be a new release of 3XXX series with something disabled related to ETH mining.

Solution
there is no guarantee that any RTX 3000 series will be widely available any time soon or in the near future.
some reports stating that it could be well into 2022 before stock matches demand, but mostly speculation.

any more powerful card you find available for a decent price is a good investment at the moment.
versions of the 2080 Ti, and even the 1080 Ti, have been selling for over $1000 on some online retail sites.
I wonder if I should get one instead of a PS5
that just depends on which you would get more use out of.

considering that you could still get a PS5 easier than a better dedicated GPU any time soon,
and that you could still probably sell that 2080 Ti at a profit if something better comes along,
the GPU at that price...
there is no guarantee that any RTX 3000 series will be widely available any time soon or in the near future.
some reports stating that it could be well into 2022 before stock matches demand, but mostly speculation.

any more powerful card you find available for a decent price is a good investment at the moment.
versions of the 2080 Ti, and even the 1080 Ti, have been selling for over $1000 on some online retail sites.
I wonder if I should get one instead of a PS5
that just depends on which you would get more use out of.

considering that you could still get a PS5 easier than a better dedicated GPU any time soon,
and that you could still probably sell that 2080 Ti at a profit if something better comes along,
the GPU at that price may be a better option.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
With the current situation, do not keep your hopes high for a couple of years...

2080ti at that price is gold right now. Situation is so bad that there are reports of GPU smuggling from certain parts of the world. Get the 2080ti or stick with the consoles.

"Or maybe should I wait till Q3/Q4 because I've heard there might be a new release of 3XXX series with something disabled related to ETH mining."

Even if that's the case, scalpers are now taking a foothold on the market and still grabbing whatever they can because there is a massive global silicon shortage. So even if they come out with a card to defeat miners, they won't make enough to beat scalpers. I'm rocking a 2080 Ti now and AAA games made this year run perfect at 1440p 144Hz ultra. That price sounds suspicious but if that seller is legit then stop wasting time and buy buy buy.