Oct 23, 2022
Hey guys!
So I just bought a 3080ti GIGABYTE and it is... pretty hot) Well actually it is not. But in order for to be at 71-75 the fans have to be spinning 100 percent. Which sounds like a jet taking off. So um... I'm trying to balance noise and temp. I'm using it in a Fractal Design R5 Window with an i9-10900k. The CPU doesn't go over 71, I have Noctua DH-15 cooling it down and 4 other fans. A Be quite (on top) and a stock R5 fan (below) up front, a be quite as a reer, and since I was having a problem with my gpu temp i put a 130 be quite on the bottom of the case (it helped but not much. Surprisingly it help my cpu even more than my gpu even tho its blowing directly at it).
My question is whether my card is defected and I should try buying another one or just chill and get a 3070 instead, I know for a fact they are what people call quite. So um... Any solutions or maybe alternatives or just an advise or smthn cause this crap won't let me sleep these days.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's no proof of a defect posted. The Define R5 Window may not be as gpu cooling friendly compared to the non-windowed version, which has an optional grille in the side.
Take a picture of the inside and post it here so we can see how the fans are laid out - as well as notice anything else that might raise alarms.
How to post images: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Gpu core: 91C
Hot spot: 110C+
Memory Junction: 105C
If those aren't specifically sustaining close to those values, you're worrying over nothing. Temperature spikes aren't as serious.

i put a 130 be quite on the bottom of the case (it helped but not much.
In many cases that have optional bottom fan slots, they are either too close to the surface the case is sitting on, too much crap is in the way, or both, to be of real use.
They'll do more to bring in dust than air, especially if the filter isn't cleaned often; those filters should be cleaned more frequently than any others.

Alternative:
-Lower the gpu power limit as mentioned earlier.
-Opt for a higher core temperature target. 80C is still fine, even sustained.
-Remove the PCIe slot guards that are at the back of the case to enhance gpu air intake.
More suggestions may come depending on what the inside of the case looks like.

So I just bought a 3080ti GIGABYTE and it is... pretty hot
I'm using it in a Fractal Design R5 Window with an i9-10900k.
My question is whether my card is defected and I should try buying another one or just chill and get a 3070 instead, I know for a fact they are what people call quite. So um...
Any solutions or maybe alternatives or just an advise or smthn cause this crap won't let me sleep these days.
Fractal Design R5 is designed for silence (not performance). Not the best choice for high performance gaming system.
I'd suggest to think about changing pc case to more gaming/high performance oriented model.
Look for cases with mesh front.
For example - Fractal Design Torrent and Meshify series.

For time being you can open/remove front panel of your case and
install two 140mm fans at front,​
install one 140mm fan at back and​
remove any top fans.​
This should improve air-flow.

Oct 23, 2022
Hey there. So I see that my 3080 ti base clock is 1365 MHz, while the boost clock is 1710 MHz and the power consumption for these is 250w.
I used to have some serious issues with it overheating when I just bought it. I didn't check the memory speed and voltage first but then i've noticed that if i leave MSI afterburner settings on default it causes the card to draw around 340w and the GPU setting(which I assume is the before mentioned memory speed) is 1845. It works perfectly fine except for going from under 67c it goes up to 75 and that is with the fans working 85%.
So my question is, am I overclocking it way too much? Am I overclocking it at all? If I don't want to overclock it do I just set up the voltage at the recommended 250v? And if I am overclockin it, can i damage the card and um... Yeah, can you guys please navigate me here?
Thanks in advance!

*edit
So it says on google that it draws 250, but when I follow the link in gpu-z that says "look up", it takes me here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-rtx-3080-ti-gaming-oc.b8844 where it says that the power draw is 350, which kinda maches. But this model also seem to differ from the other 3080ti so... Yeah my question still remains. Am I overclocking it too much? should I maybe not do it. And if I bring the gpu memory clock down to 1300mhz is it going to equevalent to the regular 3080ti?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022
It's kinda in the title. My 3080ti does run at 1700mhz (up to over 2000mhz) idle for no reason. I checked task manager for the apps that are using my gpu and there's none. Also tried changing power management to normal from perfomance prioritized in Nvidia control panel.
Moreover, this behavior comes and goes. Haven't noticed any correlations to why or when that happens.
It almost seems like its constantly in some boosted mode or something...
Got any ideas how to fix it?

P.S.
I'm running it on MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk.

P.S.
Another interesting thing about it is if I restart my pc it would go away sometimes, BUT whe it's just starting up it jump back and forth from the normal idle 210mhz to the before mentioned 1700mhz... I was trying to track process in task manager but to no avail so far...

*edit
Something curious I have just noticed while playing Squad is that when I'm in game my gpu clocks 800mhz but when I tab into MSI afterburner it goes up to 1380 immideatly... very strange...

*edit2
Now the clock gets stuck precicly at 180 mhz in game, but when I tab out it goes back up to 1380mhz... It's almost like its throttling in game but the temps are at 59/60 so there's no way it's throttling. Also no temp limits applied as well. Have no freaking clue what is goin on

*edit3
Ok so the 780mhz cap only happens when I launch MSI Afterburner. When I'm using EVG Precision everything is normal. Overclocking as always.
Not sure how but something tells me MSA is the issue here. I'll try reeinstalling it and give an update

*edit4
Reinstalled afterburner, the issue is still present. Same 780mhz cap

*edit5
Kinda solved the 780mhz cap by setting msi to default settings (have already done it a couple of times, have no idea why it only worked this time). BUT. I tried launching cyberpunk, everything works just fine, normal mhz etc, but going back to squad it starts capping it again at 780mhz. I kinda solve that as well. Turn off vsync - everything goes back to normal, turn it back on - it starts caping it at 780mhz. Well first of all it didn't use to be this way before, second of all I don't remember vsync capping your gpu speed EVER. So um... any thoughts guys?

*edit6 this is the weirdest card i've ever had.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All these cards overclock themselves. Been doing it since the 10 series. The Gpu Boost algorithm automatically and dynamically does the overclocking for you - those hundreds of mhz you see over the base clock? That IS the overclock.
Included somewhere in that overclock is some double digit mhz bump from the factory.
Ignore the advertised boost clock. That is what Gigabyte guarantees in a worst case scenario. If the gpu's parameters are well off, Gpu Boost will easily push and hold higher clocks than that.

If what you linked is your gpu, then this is one of the bios files for it: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/236429/gigabyte-rtx3080ti-12288-210515-1
Total board power of 370w.

You have another thread that you started inquiring about gpu operating temperatures, in which I and another member responded to, but you never replied.

Oct 23, 2022
All these cards overclock themselves. Been doing it since the 10 series. The Gpu Boost algorithm automatically and dynamically does the overclocking for you - those hundreds of mhz you see over the base clock? That IS the overclock.
Included somewhere in that overclock is some double digit mhz bump from the factory.
Ignore the advertised boost clock. That is what Gigabyte guarantees in a worst case scenario. If the gpu's parameters are well off, Gpu Boost will easily push and hold higher clocks than that.

If what you linked is your gpu, then this is one of the bios files for it: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/236429/gigabyte-rtx3080ti-12288-210515-1
Total board power of 370w.

You have another thread that you started inquiring about gpu operating temperatures, in which I and another member responded to, but you never replied.
Thank you for your response!
I'll check your other replies asap!

Not knowing which 3080 Ti you have, we'll go with a stock on.

The GPU's stock speed is 1365MHz with a boost of 1665MHz, if the card has not hit the limit of power (wattage), voltage, or temp it will keep overclocking its self till it reaches the limit of 1 of those 3.

WallysWorld

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Crimson Morrow:

If you have the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC, then I have that same card with an i9-9900k and the NH-D15 so we're pretty close to the same setup.

One thing I did do was undervolt the card to .875 volts at 1830 Mhz using MSI Afterburner. Lower temps, lower fan noise and almost the same performance without the power cap being reached on default setting.

I used this video to help with the undervolting: How to undervolt RTX 3080 Ti

I would try that.

Oct 23, 2022
Crimson Morrow:

If you have the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC, then I have that same card with an i9-9900k and the NH-D15 so we're pretty close to the same setup.

One thing I did do was undervolt the card to .875 volts at 1830 Mhz using MSI Afterburner. Lower temps, lower fan noise and almost the same performance without the power cap being reached on default setting.

I used this video to help with the undervolting: How to undervolt RTX 3080 Ti

I would try that.
Thank you so much!