Question 3600, 3600x or 2700x? (upgrade from 2600)

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Hello.

I only need some advices on upgrading my cpu.
What is more worth it as the title says.
Or is it worth it in the first place?

I'm only a casual gamer who plays some story mode games such as metro exodus and sometimes racing and simulation games too.

I am aware that my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu so I think I'd like to upgrade to REMOVE or REDUCE the bottleneck as much as possible.

Ryzen 5 2600
RX 5700 XT
A320 pro Vh Plus ( yes it is crappy )
16gb 3200mhz
520v bronze seasonic s12II
24" 144hz 1080p display

I think I have made some threads regarding about my bottlenecking issue on some games. I had made an example about the outer worlds game where I had a nice 120+ fps on the intro and suddenly it went to crappy and stuttering, unstable 40-50 fps. Also my fps goes high up when I simply look down on my character's feet and it goes down when I look into cities.

I only want that stable fps that's all.

It is my first time upgrading my cpu and I need some accurate advices, thank you very much.

Reactions: CountMike
Hello.

I only need some advices on upgrading my cpu.
What is more worth it as the title says.
Or is it worth it in the first place?

I'm only a casual gamer who plays some story mode games such as metro exodus and sometimes racing and simulation games too.

I am aware that my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu so I think I'd like to upgrade to REMOVE or REDUCE the bottleneck as much as possible.

Ryzen 5 2600
RX 5700 XT
A320 pro Vh Plus ( yes it is crappy )
16gb 3200mhz
520v bronze seasonic s12II
24" 144hz 1080p display

I think I have made some threads regarding about my bottlenecking issue on some games. I had made an example about the outer worlds game where I had a nice 120+ fps on the intro and suddenly it went to crappy and stuttering, unstable 40-50 fps. Also my fps goes high up when I simply look down on my character's feet and it goes down when I look into cities.

I only want that stable fps that's all.

It is my first time upgrading my cpu and I need some accurate advices, thank you very much.
Better keep 2600 until you decide on better motherboard.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I personally would not expect high gains from that purchase. I would guess it has more to do with the game than with your cpu.
Is your ram really running 3200 mhz on that board? I got doubts. Would rather update the board to a b450 tomahawk.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I personally would not expect high gains from that purchase. I would guess it has more to do with the game than with your cpu.
Is your ram really running 3200 mhz on that board? I got doubts. Would rather update the board to a b450 tomahawk.
It is running. I checked on some softwares and they reported the correct 2x8 speed.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
OP - You really shouldn't be getting bad stuttering or fps swings with that setup. Your current system is perfectly capable and any "bottleneck" would be minimal as the 2600 is a good CPU, and can run a 5700XT just fine. Look for software or driver issues causing you problems.

Go with a 3600 and you will be happy. Or even a 3700x if price is not an issue. Both are 65W TDP and perfectly compatible with your motherboard. And on that note, there is nothing wrong with your motherboard, especially if you are not overclocking.

Be sure to update your BIOS prior to upgrading.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Also, is it a bad habit to compare my gaming results on other gaming results with the same specs on videos on youtube? Because I'm really confused why my results differs online even my benchmarks but slightly.

And that is one of the reasons also why I'm upgrading.

Also, is it a bad habit to compare my gaming results on other gaming results with the same specs on videos on youtube? Because I'm really confused why my results differs online even my benchmarks but slightly.

Everybody's system is a bit different. How windows is setup, what's running in the background can also make difference in benchmarks and games. RAM it's speed, configuration and latency also impacts Ryzen performance.

That's not a bad habit. That's a VERY BAD habit. If you are comfortable with how the system games, there is no need to tinker with it. Going with any of those CPUs would likely still cause the same issue if you are experiencing it with the current configuration. I agree that you should invest on a better board first.

Reactions: King_V

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
While your motherboard is low end, if its running 3200mhz ram, and it will handle a 3600, a better board will net you 0 performance increase. If your budget is limited don't do it.

The only performance limitation that board will have is if you use one of the X processors and want to run Precision Boost Override, because it likely won't have the power to sustain max boost. Still that should not affect frame rates as much as you are seeing, in fact its minimal.

Is this a new build that you did a fresh install of Windows?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
While your motherboard is low end, if its running 3200mhz ram, and it will handle a 3600, a better board will net you 0 performance increase. If your budget is limited don't do it.

The only performance limitation that board will have is if you use one of the X processors and want to run Precision Boost Override, because it likely won't have the power to sustain max boost. Still that should not affect frame rates as much as you are seeing, in fact its minimal.

Is this a new build that you did a fresh install of Windows?
My PC is still young and even the windows. I always use ccleaner to remove junk files and organizing my files frequently.

So if I upgraded my CPU, the performance would increase but just a little?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
In the meantime, I thank you all for your suggestions. It really informs me more than just my knowledge from before. I would have just created a poll thread with a few descriptions to easily gather up your suggestions and see it more clearly.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Gotcha. I'm just worried about you spending money and not fixing the problem.

You mentioned Outer Worlds. Do you have anything else running when this happens?

Also can you use MSI Afterburner and see what your core usage is in game when you have these frame drop. Please share screenshots of the graphs.

I have a thread here regarding about the fps drops on the outer worlds. I sent an image to the guy showing the msi afterburner stats and stuff that I can't remember. I don't know if this will help

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ikb742mrzb8axhi/Moving.png/file

Aaand.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k42oy0gcfekq91a/looking_down.png/file

This just contains .jpeg files

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

wjjmjn

Commendable
Jul 5, 2018
Id go for 2k monitor.. your system will fit great. You can handle most competetive games on 2k 120+ single player games will also be okay with much better quality

Reactions: ceejay7