4 Pin FireWire to USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhinesh

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Hi
I am sure about the pin configuration.
I am able to plug the 4-pin fireWire to my Camcoder and USB to computer.
-Dhinesh

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Its a DV Cable. It plugs into the DV port on your camcorder and the firewire port on your computer To read from it you will need software, like PowerDirector.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Then what is the use of the cable as given the below link?
http://www.techcomindia.com/prodimages/USB-to-Firewire-(4-pin)(1).jpg

That is for plugging a USB device with a mini USB port into a USB port on your computer. An example is the Sony PSP.

It is an 4 pin firewire to USB cable.

No it is not.

I am much sure it is a 4Pin firewire to USB cable.

Dhinesh,

Firewire and USB are not the same technology and don't use the same communication signals. So, no matter how you wire it, the two just won't communicate.

That is a mini USB connector on the end of that cable. My camcorder has both a USB port and a firewire port and they look very similar.

If you are plugging that cable into the firewire port, it won't work. You will need to plug it into the USB port of the camcorder. If your camcorder doesn't have a USB port, you will need to connect it to a firewire port on your computer.

EDIT: Found this and it provides an interesting explanation. Although, keep in mind, that the product they mention won't help you either.

Nith

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I __really___ wish all the hardware gurus would take a step back and consider that people *might* know what they are talking about.

In short...

"Firewire and USB are not the same technology and don't use the same communication signals. So, no matter how you wire it, the two just won't communicate."

[Bzzz] Wrong answer.

Apparently, how you 'wire' it does matter. Otherwise, Pixela wouldn't be making $120 a cable for these:
http://www.pixela-1.com/captycable/

Now, dhinesh's link is broken, and I'm too lazy to look into it, so I'll admit that perhaps the link points to a true firewire-firewire or usb-usb cable. But, what if.. what if dhinesh bought one of these Pixela cables and came here looking for help?

Firewire and USB don't have to communicate - they can use a converter cable...

To be lenient, I've been looking for something like this cable for years, and it is the only one I've seen - but before being so adamant that something can't be done, double check.

htoptas

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This is not a straight cable it is an adapter. Electronics are hidden in the connectors and you need a driver to use this cable.

G

What driver do you need, I bought one of these cables and am running Windows Vista?

I wanted to connect my Sony camcorder to my computer. The camcorder has firewire, and the computer does not (has USB). Therefore, I bought an inexpensive (under $20) PCI card which has a firewire connector, and installed it in the computer. I used this firewire connector to connect the computer to my camcorder. Woks fine, and fast too!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124002&cm_re=firewire_card-_-15-124-002-_-Product
(Added bonus - 2 sets of USB pin headers on the card - nice for a card reader)

Status
Not open for further replies.