NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
All was well but then a week later pc seemed to switch to integrated graphics from 7950x after a game crashed. After I restarted the pc twice the gpu started to work again but at about half the performance. I ram Time Spy Extreme and got 7000 vs before the short I got 15000. Is my gpu busted? Or my mother board? What are some test I can do to troubleshoot this?

Last edited:
Solution
Ok I did already start it so I will get back to you with the results
So just to be safe I did the bootable right after the reset was done and it seems like it fixed whatever was the issue. In fact I scored over 18000 in Time Spy Extreme. I tried with expo and without both seem to work fine now. I feel like it had something to do with the recent update to msi afterburner. But maybe I had a bad install the first time I built the rig idk but the highest I could ever get then was around 15000 never even got close to 18000
You have something odd going on with your CPU. Look at the difference in frequencies between tests. You're not even getting an average frequency result now. Also, no temperature reading?! And look at the max reported frequency of 6.5ghz!

I wonder if your CPU/mobo is starting to fail due to the EXPO bug?

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
I reseated the ram and turned expo off then on again and put the 4090 back in and all is well lol. No idea what happened but that fixed it for now. I’ll post again if the issue persists but for now seam like everything is back to normal

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
You have something odd going on with your CPU. Look at the difference in frequencies between tests. You're not even getting an average frequency result now. Also, no temperature reading?! And look at the max reported frequency of 6.5ghz!

I wonder if your CPU/mobo is starting to fail due to the EXPO bug?
What expo bug are you referring to im just hearing of this

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Omg I’m checking my chip right now. Also I restarted my pc just to see if the half performance thing happened again and it did so idk what it could be but I’ll have to check my cpu

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Ok I just checked it and there is no visible damage it look brand new still so I don’t think that was it even tho I was on that bios but I didn’t use my pc much during that time thankfully. Do you think it could be a ram issue? Reseating the ram did seem to make it go away until I restarted the pc and was back to half performance. Also when this happens MSI after burner shows the gpu is at 100 percent but sitting at 30c in all games pretty much. The strange thing was when I got it working after reseating the ram, msi after burner could not see the gpu?

Reactions: helper800
Ok I just checked it and there is no visible damage it look brand new still so I don’t think that was it even tho I was on that bios but I didn’t use my pc much during that time thankfully. Do you think it could be a ram issue? Reseating the ram did seem to make it go away until I restarted the pc and was back to half performance. Also when this happens MSI after burner shows the gpu is at 100 percent but sitting at 30c in all games pretty much. The strange thing was when I got it working after reseating the ram, msi after burner could not see the gpu?
Please post your full system specifications for further help. Its hard to make accurate guesswork without the full picture. I would get the latest non-beta BIOS update for that motherboard, and you should be fine from the issues in those links. If you are still having issues after a BIOS update then we can go from there.

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
I already tried the stable bios previous to that beta it’s 1.7 for my board. What other specs do you need.

I’m on the most up to date window 11 I put my specs at the top in this when asked to

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
GPU - Asus ROG strix OC RTX 4090
CPU - Ryzen 7950x
MEM - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 6000
MOBO - MSI MEG ACE x670e
PSU - MEG ai1300p
OS drive - sk Hynix platnium p41 500gb
Storage- 2x sk Hynix platnium p41 2tb
OS windows 11 - KB5025305
Mobo bios - 7D69v17

GPU - Asus ROG strix OC RTX 4090
CPU - Ryzen 7950x
MEM - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 6000
MOBO - MSI MEG ACE x670e
PSU - MEG ai1300p
OS drive - sk Hynix platnium p41 500gb
Storage- 2x sk Hynix platnium p41 2tb
OS windows 11 - KB5025305
Mobo bios - 7D69v17
Okay so you do not have an X3D chip so you would not have the problems described in those articles. Try running the RAM at default JEDEC speeds (Defaut / no EXPO).

Last edited:
Just curious about a thing here. In your topic line, you mention a short.

I'd just like some clarifications about this. Did something happens to the mobo (like a screw driver dropped down on it while powered on) or do you refer to an incident not directly related to your computer (i.e. the electrical circuit breaker in the apartment was tripping due to over-current ) ?

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020

I'd just like some clarifications about this. Did something happens to the mobo (like a screw driver dropped down on it while powered on) or do you refer to an incident not directly related to your computer (i.e. the electrical circuit breaker in the apartment was tripping due to over-current ) ?
The other day I was unplugging a usb then suddenly the pc shut off instantly so I feel like maybe it short circuited but not entirely sure because it seemed to operate normally afterwards. It wasn’t until a game crashed yesterday that something seemed to go wrong and it was like the pc was using the integrated graphics on all games until I restarted it then it was performing at about half the performance prior. All this happened around the time I updated to the bios that fixed the Soc issue but was still in beta, installed the latest NVIDIA driver and updated riva tuner and msi after burner

The other day I was unplugging a usb then suddenly the pc shut off instantly so I feel like maybe it short circuited but not entirely sure because it seemed to operate normally afterwards. It wasn’t until a game crashed yesterday that something seemed to go wrong and it was like the pc was using the integrated graphics on all games until I restarted it then it was performing at about half the performance prior. All this happened around the time I updated to the bios that fixed the Soc issue but was still in beta, installed the latest NVIDIA driver and updated riva tuner and msi after burner
Was that a front USB port or a rear USB port? If it was in the rear check for a little metal tab that is part of the Motherboard IO shield. It may have bent the opposite direction when installed and is making contact with USB devices plugged into the port. This can cause a short.

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Was that a front USB port or a rear USB port? If it was in the rear check for a little metal tab that is part of the Motherboard IO shield. It may have bent the opposite direction when installed and is making contact with USB devices plugged into the port. This can cause a short.
It was front and it still works normally. Also I’m doing a factory reset of windows and I’m gonna do some more test afterwards

I chose to completely wipe everything and local reinstall of windows should I have gone usb bootable drive route instead?
Doing a USB boot for an install is the usual route to take for a clean install, yes. Make sure you format all the old windows partitions on the OS drive when doing the reinstall. You may also want to disconnect all the other drives besides the boot drive as well.

If you have already started the process test with that. If there is still an issue try a clean install instead. Download Nvidias latest driver package, and the motherboards drivers and put it onto another drive for quick access to it after the reinstall for quick testing

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Doing a USB boot for an install is the usual route to take for a clean install, yes. Make sure you format all the old windows partitions on the OS drive when doing the reinstall. You may also want to disconnect all the other drives besides the boot drive as well.

If you have already started the process test with that. If there is still an issue try a clean install instead. Download Nvidias latest driver package, and the motherboards drivers and put it onto another drive for quick access to it after the reinstall for quick testing
Ok I did already start it so I will get back to you with the results

What are you thinking? Seems odd that the issue resolved itself temporarily after reseating some parts. To me it seems unlikely a windows issue, but the user already started the process. Think maybe the PSU got hit with a surge or brownout causing issues?