Status
Not open for further replies.

sidcrimson

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013
Need help with setting up 5.1 Audio out on my Pc!

My rig
Asus H81MCS * No TOSLINK OUT/ HDMI audio out *
i3 4130
16GB RAM
Windows 10

Video Card : GTX 1660 Super
TV : LG UJ725T
Soundbar : LGSL8YG

PC right now is connected to the TV via HDMI ( Using HDMI 2.1 ver Cable )
And My soundbar is connected to TV on ARC port

My PC sound properties show stereo as maximum output I'm aware that this is TV problem,
But I tried to enable Bypass settings on the TV, Nothing seems to work, I have just 1 HDMI port on Video Card Just 1, I was thinking of experimenting by connecting Pc HDMI to the soundbar, I think this method will compress my Video quality, But my Speaker does support Dolby Vision 4k Bypass However, I don't think it will support 120hz output
So Thinking of Doing this

Connecting ~ ^ from Video Card
1 HDMI out direct to TV for Video out
1 Displayport to HDMI converted Direct to Soundbar for sound

Will this method work? will I get 5.1 out? even if it works will there be any performance issue, or quality loss because of Conversion?

Thanks in Advance

Solution
Should work, Displayport also carries audio even when converted from Hdmi. Can also use DP from gpu for display too and Hdmi port from gpu for audio. Try both ways.

Regarding earlier issues regarding 4k, if certain games worked correctly, that wouldn't or shouldn't have been cable related. If cable wasn't up to task or faulty then it would have been consistent. Nevermind, it works now so who knows, you're probably right.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Tricky setup. Mainly due to the limiting factor being ARC which is limited to 2.1 channel (lossless). The next generation eARC (part of Hdmi 2.1 spec) will have the bandwidth to pass surround audio. Unfortunately neither graphics card or soundbar sports Hdmi 2.1. Couldn't find info on your TV, there's no listing for that model number, but can assume it has Hdmi 2.0b (including soundbar) because it has ARC not eARC. Gtx 1060 has Hdmi 2.0b, next generation 3000 will have 2.1. Doesn't matter what version cable it is, it's just a high speed cable marketed as 2.1 which is deceiving. The port's itself must be 2.1 in this regard.

Since TV can't pass 5.1 audio, ya might be able to test if Windows offers 5.1 by using a DVI or Hdmi monitor (with DVI to Hdmi cable) in-which you'd use the motherboard's igpu graphics with multi monitor enabled in the bios and see what Windows & soundbar does with the graphics card connected directly to it. Hopefully a friend can help lend a monitor or something, to make sure the soundbar can actually do 5.1 without virtualisation before buying cables. Windows will have 5.1 selectable if so.

If friend can't help then yeah try the Displayport method. Displayport to Hdmi (by Club3D). Try this to TV or soundbar, probably Displayport adapter to TV and Hdmi to soundbar.

Last edited:

sidcrimson

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013
Tricky setup. Mainly due to the limiting factor being ARC which is limited to 2.1 channel (lossless). The next generation eARC (part of Hdmi 2.1 spec) will have the bandwidth to pass surround audio. Unfortunately, neither graphics card or soundbar sports Hdmi 2.1. Couldn't find info on your TV, there's no listing for that model number, but can assume it has Hdmi 2.0b (including soundbar) because it has ARC not eARC. Gtx 1060 has Hdmi 2.0b, next generation 3000 will have 2.1. Doesn't matter what version cable it is, it's just a high speed cable marketed as 2.1 which is deceiving. The port's itself must be 2.1 in this regard.

Since TV can't pass 5.1 audio, ya might be able to test if Windows offers 5.1 by using a DVI or Hdmi monitor (with DVI to Hdmi cable) in-which you'd use the motherboard's igpu graphics with multi monitor enabled in the bios and see what Windows & soundbar does with the graphics card connected directly to it. Hopefully a friend can help lend a monitor or something, to make sure the soundbar can actually do 5.1 without virtualisation before buying cables. Windows will have 5.1 selectable if so.

If friend can't help then yeah try the Displayport method. Displayport to Hdmi (by Club3D). Try this to TV or soundbar, probably Displayport adapter to TV and Hdmi to soundbar.

Hey, Thanks for Replying,

Attaching Tv spec Link: https://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55UJ752T-uhd-4k-tv

Speaker Link: https://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-SL8YG

Regarding Soundbar, Tv
I will provide a Picture Link of what I get on speaker properties: https://ibb.co/C8Bh80T
( PC>TV>Speaker )

Displayport to HDMI Cable Link: https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-...ds=display+port+to+hdmi&qid=1604575588&sr=8-3

I Had problems earlier with HDMI 2.0 Cable ( faulty old cable ) only Forza horizon 3 and forza horizon 4 worked @4k, changed recently to HDMI 2.1 and now I can play all games @ 4k 60hz so I was thinking HDMI 2.1 does have lots of advantages over 2.0 regardless of Ports, Thanks for the clarification!

( TV - Soundbar ) connected on ARC HDMI 2.0, I can confirm that Surround Sound works, Even Dolby Atmos works! on Netflix, Prime Apps on TV.

Also, there is no possibility of lending Friend's Monitor, so I have no other choice but to try and do myself Displayport to HDMI cable connected to soundbar HDMI in!
At least theoretically it should work, right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should work, Displayport also carries audio even when converted from Hdmi. Can also use DP from gpu for display too and Hdmi port from gpu for audio. Try both ways.

Regarding earlier issues regarding 4k, if certain games worked correctly, that wouldn't or shouldn't have been cable related. If cable wasn't up to task or faulty then it would have been consistent. Nevermind, it works now so who knows, you're probably right.

Solution

sidcrimson

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013
Ohh ok i understand. Look through reviews on Amazon for cables available to you, see what sticks out.

Don't have many choices in my country, I'm going with amazon basics which says can carry only 1080p signal maximum, but can transfer uncompressed surround sound data, I don't think this is gonna work but worth a try? fortunately Soundbar has Input HDMI, but I seriously don't have hopes!

You can check the link if interested, DISPLAYPORT - HDMI Wire: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B015OW3M1W/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I will Update, cable will reach me tomorrow mostly! Theoretically, 5.1 should work!

Status
Not open for further replies.