[SOLVED] A small problem with one of my two RAM sticks

Jul 31, 2021
Two years ago I got my first gaming pc, I went to a local hardware store ordered all of the components and asked them to build it for me since I was still pretty insecure about [mess] something up while building it.

After 1 year and a half I noticed that after around a full day on my pc my Memory percentage in the task manager would go way above 60%, when it was never even above 30% (with gaming around 50%). Now 2 years have passed and the problem still persist yet even more noticeably. Whenever I turn my pc on or restart it, the starting Memory percentage is already at around 40% and after a day it goes up to 80-99%. Which makes everything more laggy. It's gotten to the point where it's annoying since the frame drops and lag spikes happen when I'm in game.

I clean my PC regularly every month, I did a Windows memory diagnostic 4 months ago and no error was found. I also get an error notification whenever I try to restart my PC after let's say two days of leaving it turned on.

My PC specs:
4241d13d6412fd7cea8e888fcc3bebb5.png

Closer up RAM information:
819bd5807dc9af4170079324a13de1f0.png

The part that confuses me the most is the fact that it says 'Total Physical 16GB' and then in 'Available Physical 8.61GB'. Could there be a problem on one of my RAM sticks? Could it be any software interfering with it? Could the frequency be too high/low?

I would really appreciate any help I could get here. Any further questions anyone might have I will try to answer as fast as possible as I really do want an explanation to this problem. If I don't find an actual solution I will probably go replace the RAM stick or use the 5 year warranty I got with them building it.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this. :)

-Kat

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
no its recognizing the kit is a dual channel kit but if you look at the total available vs. the physical ram you can see that its only using half
Dual channel mode happens when you have one stick in channel a and one in channel b.
There is no bios setting for this.

Windows memory statistics can be confusing.
Some ram is dedicated to the windows nucleus and so are other parts of windows.
Some apps can fix ram so that it is not available for other use.
I suspect that discord or other app is fixing an 8gb area, making it unavailable for windows use.
Jul 31, 2021
check what is consuming memory?
sound more like software issue than hardware issue

Any way you could help me with that? I can maybe add some screenshots to this thread of like software or anything? Cause I really don't know what could be causing it. Would booting into safe mode do anything to see if the RAM is any different there?
And thank you for the response ! :)

Two years ago I got my first gaming pc, I went to a local hardware store ordered all of the components and asked them to build it for me since I was still pretty insecure about [mess] something up while building it.

After 1 year and a half I noticed that after around a full day on my pc my Memory percentage in the task manager would go way above 60%, when it was never even above 30% (with gaming around 50%). Now 2 years have passed and the problem still persist yet even more noticeably. Whenever I turn my pc on or restart it, the starting Memory percentage is already at around 40% and after a day it goes up to 80-99%. Which makes everything more laggy. It's gotten to the point where it's annoying since the frame drops and lag spikes happen when I'm in game.

I clean my PC regularly every month, I did a Windows memory diagnostic 4 months ago and no error was found. I also get an error notification whenever I try to restart my PC after let's say two days of leaving it turned on.

My PC specs:

The part that confuses me the most is the fact that it says 'Total Physical 16GB' and then in 'Available Physical 8.61GB'. Could there be a problem on one of my RAM sticks? Could it be any software interfering with it? Could the frequency be too high/low?

I would really appreciate any help I could get here. Any further questions anyone might have I will try to answer as fast as possible as I really do want an explanation to this problem. If I don't find an actual solution I will probably go replace the RAM stick or use the 5 year warranty I got with them building it.

-Kat
I think what your screen shot shows is that you have 16GB of ram.
You are using a little less than 50%.
You have a little more than 50% available.
So if you add a little less and a little more it comes out to 16GB.

Jul 31, 2021
I think what your screen shot shows is that you have 16GB of ram.
You are using a little less than 50%.
You have a little more than 50% available.
So if you add a little less and a little more it comes out to 16GB.

That's not really the problem I'm having here. It's more why my RAM usage is so much bigger than it was 1 year ago? When I still use discord and brave browser like I did a year ago. And my gaming preference has not changed much. And why my memory is so high when I freshly restart my PC. (It's already around 40-45% when I boot it up)

That's not really the problem I'm having here. It's more why my RAM usage is so much bigger than it was 1 year ago? When I still use discord and brave browser like I did a year ago. And my gaming preference has not changed much. And why my memory is so high when I freshly restart my PC. (It's already around 40-45% when I boot it up)
True it's not your problem but it is the question you asked.
Post a screen shot of task manager/startup.

Jul 31, 2021
These are the processes and startup screenshots you requested. These we taken straight after boot. I also added the Resource Monitor Memory tab and the RAMMap overview screenshots.

Processes:
abd79d3072b835190c621a2201d5ff2e.png

Startup:
42020b381696817560f3e2c87ac7c0f5.png

Resource Monitor:
f9c95db6d5a1d0d6d02c9225b4ce2670.png

RAMMap:
80b7b63f296c23fdb82873cfaccd4313.png

96aefa539545e7901c522008a8414fe5.png

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
windows only will recognize 8GB out of 16GB, your bios/motherboard is not configured in dual channel mode. make sure you are putting your RAM in the correct slots
DIMM slot 1 closest to your CPU and DIMM slot 3 should have ram installed leaving slot 2 and 4 empty

Jul 31, 2021
why do you have sql server running?

My uni professor had this class for like a week, where we were setting up something in sql. And I never really paid much attention but we never closed it or went over how to shut it down. I was wondering about that but my friend told me its probably something to do with Windows. Should I try closing it? If yes I would kindly request some assistance with that.

Jul 31, 2021
My uni professor had this class for like a week, where we were setting up something in sql. And I never really paid much attention but we never closed it or went over how to shut it down. I was wondering about that but my friend told me its probably something to do with Windows. Should I try closing it? If yes I would kindly request some assistance with that.

We were basically setting up something in the virtual machine Windows has the possibility to create and also using sql to make databases.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018

My PC specs:

-Kat

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
The part that confuses me the most is the fact that it says 'Total Physical 16GB' and then in 'Available Physical 8.61GB'. Could there be a problem on one of my RAM sticks?

'Available Physical should be 16gb

My motherboard only has two slots. Should I change something to make it into dual channel mode or? (B450 Aorus)
Your initial post shows that you have 4 ram slots and are operating in dual channel mode.
And, single vs. dual channel is a minor performance impact, not a functional impact.

Really, go back to see what has changed since all was well.
I am betting that you have installed something bad since then.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
2 or 4 slots it doesn't matter but if your bios is not configured correctly it is only going to allow one stick to actually work but windows will tell you that it recognizes the RAM but im only going to use half

TRENDING THREADS