Discussion A thread for those that will bypass the 30xx Ampere series graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
After I saw these benchmarks of the 3080 it is clearly not even a 4k@100fps card. Sure you can turn down the graphics detail but then whats the point of playing at 4k resolution. You want to see crisp graphics but instead you can just turn on all AA methods and nvidia panel settings and play at 2k 1440p and get twice the FPS no matter a 2080Ti or a 3080 or a 3090. The only hope for 4k@144fps to match the gaming monitors refresh rate with all eye candy and running DLSS 2.0 is the 3090Ti. But then again you can buy a couple TVs with the price tag on that thing. I think this Ampere series are great cards in every way however if you have a 1080Ti or a 20xx series you might want to sit this one out unless you want a card because your bumping resolution game play. For example if you have a 2060 and got a 1440p monitor 144hz so you would want a 3080. But if you already have a 2080 or above there is nothing ground breaking here at least not any time soon. Game engines will be game engines and this is not like DX13 or something. It is simply nice design with better performance then 2 and half year old 20xx series. Is it double the performance no it is not. I watched Linus, Jay Z, Hexus, and other reviews showing benchmarks and it was no where near 4k triple digit fps gaming. So this leaves the 3090Ti but that will be to expensive. I think those with 1080Ti or 2080 and above should stay put unless they feel 30fps more in 4k gaming is worth the hassle of buying a new card and installing it and hoping all goes well and what not.☮🖐💯😲🤷‍♀️

After I saw these benchmarks of the 3080 it is clearly not even a 4k@100fps card. Sure you can turn down the graphics detail but then whats the point of playing at 4k resolution. You want to see crisp graphics but instead you can just turn on all AA methods and nvidia panel settings and play at 2k 1440p and get twice the FPS no matter a 2080Ti or a 3080 or a 3090. The only hope for 4k@144fps to match the gaming monitors refresh rate with all eye candy and running DLSS 2.0 is the 3090Ti. But then again you can buy a couple TVs with the price tag on that thing. I think this Ampere series are great cards in every way however if you have a 1080Ti or a 20xx series you might want to sit this one out unless you want a card because your bumping resolution game play. For example if you have a 2060 and got a 1440p monitor 144hz so you would want a 3080. But if you already have a 2080 or above there is nothing ground breaking here at least not any time soon. Game engines will be game engines and this is not like DX13 or something. It is simply nice design with better performance then 2 and half year old 20xx series. Is it double the performance no it is not. I watched Linus, Jay Z, Hexus, and other reviews showing benchmarks and it was no where near 4k triple digit fps gaming. So this leaves the 3090Ti but that will be to expensive. I think those with 1080Ti or 2080 and above should stay put unless they feel 30fps more in 4k gaming is worth the hassle of buying a new card and installing it and hoping all goes well and what not.☮🖐💯😲🤷‍♀️

The RTX 3080 is not being marketed as a 4K 100 fps card, it is being marketed as a 4K 60 fps card that can maintain 4K 60 fps in many more games than Turing ever could and (sometimes) with power left over for ray tracing.

Anti-aliasing is not a replacement for pixels; there are plenty of people out there who are more than happy to game at less than 144 fps or at less than ultra settings in order to enjoy the high pixel density of 4K.

I am 100% going to buy a RTX 3080; it might not be twice as fast as my 2080, but it's 60-80% faster in most of the games I play which means a significantly improved 4K experience for me. Definitely "worth the hassle." I don't need 144 hz refresh rates, anything above 60 fps is fine by me.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The RTX 3080 is not being marketed as a 4K 100 fps card, it is being marketed as a 4K 60 fps card that can maintain 4K 60 fps in many more games than Turing ever could and (sometimes) with power left over for ray tracing.

Anti-aliasing is not a replacement for pixels; there are plenty of people out there who are more than happy to game at less than 144 fps or at less than ultra settings in order to enjoy the high pixel density of 4K.

I am 100% going to buy a RTX 3080; it might not be twice as fast as my 2080, but it's 60-80% faster in most of the games I play which means a significantly improved 4K experience for me. Definitely "worth the hassle." I don't need 144 hz refresh rates, anything above 60 fps is fine by me.
Good response, let me also ad that nVidia is saying the 3090 is a 8k gaming card. There is like 1 8k monitor that is a Dell 32" for five thousand dollars. So nVidia is being all gimicky. They touted the 2080Ti a 4k@60fps card and now the 3080 which is more powerful is still being touted as a 4k@60fps card. See this is why I will bypass this series. The only hope as I said is the 3090Ti doing 4k@144fps. But then again you pay 2500 dollars to get that. Just doesn't make sense to me. But for those with weak video cards the 3080 is great buy or those that want to up the resolution to 2k @ 144hz from 1080p @ 60hz and what not.🤷‍♀️😲💯🖐

Good response, let me also ad that nVidia is saying the 3090 is a 8k gaming card. There is like 1 8k monitor that is a Dell 32" for five thousand dollars. So nVidia is being all gimicky. They touted the 2080Ti a 4k@60fps card and now the 3080 which is more powerful is still being touted as a 4k@60fps card. See this is why I will bypass this series. The only hope as I said is the 3090Ti doing 4k@144fps. But then again you pay 2500 dollars to get that. Just doesn't make sense to me. But for those with weak video cards the 3080 is great buy or those that want to up the resolution to 2k @ 144hz from 1080p @ 60hz and what not.🤷‍♀️😲💯🖐
Performance at some resolution changes over time. I could claim the RTX 2060 is an 8K 60FPS card... if all you play is the original Unreal Tournament.

Couple of things.

1. The card is called a 3090, not 3090 ti
  2. While the only "Monitor" that is 8k is that dell one (pretty sure a couple more exist, you just saw that one linus video and thats all you heard about probably) There are plenty of TV's with that resolution which lots of people play on.
  3. The 3090 costs 1499, not 2499. thats 1000$ less. while we dont have benchmarks, its probably almost or at twice as good as the rtx titan, that costs 2400$. 900$ more.
  4. Aside from the straight up, 8k60hz sticker on the 3090, they don't boast 4k60 on both the 2080ti and 3080.
Also remember the 3080 is a replacement for the 2080, not 2080 Ti. It being 30-40% better than it is amazing. remember that usually, the stepdown 80 is around the same as last gen's 80Ti. This round we got 40% above the Ti.
5. What are you basing the 4k 60hz on both the 3080 and 2080Ti on?
Like @hotaru.hino mentioned, you can run older games at 8k and get 60fps on low end cards.
Resolution matters less than the actual games.

If you are talking about "General AAA games"
Say, witcher 3 and Shadow of the tomb raider, both 2080Ti and 3080 can get 4k60fps on them.
The question is, 60fps is a loose term.
Getting avg50 and mins of 43 is usually still called "60 fps"
And if the 2080 Ti gets that, the 3080 will get only 35% or so more, which if you do the math is
around 65 avg.
Still 4k60fps.
Even if we say the 2080Ti got 60fps mins, and 70avg.
The 3080 would still be marketed as a 4k 60fps card (though again, not specifically mentioned anywhere)
Since it can't get to 120 or 144 which is the target naming.

80-90fps is still 4k60, because 4k90fps is not a good marketing name. 4k144, or 4k 120 is.

And as for me, I rock a gtx 1080, and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I play all types of games from among us to far cry so my fps varies alot.
anything above 90 is smooth for me, and i sometimes play at medium-high to get that.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I can't argue with you my friend. Good stuff 👍I read your entire post. Yes my friend I play at 1440p as well with all nVidia panel settings turned on and all AA methods turned on and maxed out. All in game settings maxed out and once g-sync is doing its thing a drop from 200fps to 90fps doesn't feel like it the game stays buttery smooth. I just think 4k@60fps is lame IMO. I mean how many millions or billions industry is the gaming monitor market which are all 144hz displays. So if say 75 percent of 3080 potential buyers have 144hz monitors they want 144fps to match it. Right now I don't think it can be done. 4k@60fps might be good for MS flight sim but for action games or what I play Quake Champions... Im better off using 4k on the D TOP and game at 1440p because once your using AA and MSAA etc there are no jaggies. The 4k just makes things smaller. It is great for the desktop but for gaming it just makes things smaller and slower which is not what a hardcore gamer whos paying 1200 dollars for a video card wants. TLDR 🙈

As for 8k gaming yes your right about that but what 8k@15fps. That is double of 4k and you see what double of 2k resolution does to your frame rate it drops it by 50 percent minimum.. another drop from 60fps your looking at 25fps 8k ,, if that. Once again nVidia being gimicky. They should know their customers have PCs thus have PC monitors and no one has a 8k pc monitor. The TV thing well leave to consoles but their marketing is 3090 8k, I mean did you know the 3090 is only 10 percent faster then a 3080 in benchmarks Ive seen. So what a 3090Ti will be who knows but I doubt it will deliver triple digits 200fps experience at 4k. For now 2k is gaming king again for hardcore pc gamers. For those that want to crank up the resolution to get kicks and drastic drops in frame rate can do that as well. The latency just goes up to much for competitve style AAA titles. Maybe Sim City @ 4k will be nice or Train Builder Deluxe or something rather.🎗🤷‍♂️✝

When the 1080 Ti came out, I believe it was touted as a 4K 60 fps card. So was the 2080 Ti, and now the 3080. The reason why the 3080 is "still being touted as a 4K 60 fps card" is because games get harder to run at a certain frame rate and resolution as newer more graphically complex ones come out. The RTX 3080 can play the games of today better than either the 1080 Ti or 2080 Ti could play the games of their day, and for a decent price as well. That's a very compelling reason to upgrade for most people.

"But then again you pay 2500 dollars to get that. Just doesn't make sense to me." The reason it doesn't make sense to you is because what you speak of doesn't exist, there is no 3090 Ti (not yet anyway). On August 11th you started a thread where you said: "the 3080Ti which will steal your money for probably near 2 thousand dollars will give you 90FPS." You said that as if it was a fact, only it didn't end up happening. And now you are talking about a 3090 Ti that will cost $2500; if something about that doesn't make sense to you, it's probably because you are making assertions about things that you don't know about. It's one thing to make guesses about the future, it's quite another to pass off your guesses as fact. Here, I will quote your post in full just in case you forgot about it:

"So 21 days 21 years since my Riva TNT card coming from a Voodoo1 2D/3D Hercules card. The folks at nVidia have specifically said the performance advantage of the 3080Ti over the 2080Ti is 30 percent. Which means if your playing at 4K resolution and your getting a steady 60FPS with the 2080Ti then with the 3080Ti which will steal your money for probably near 2 thousand dollars will give you 90FPS. This is still not enough for proper smooth 4K game play as it will not match a gaming monitors 144Hz refresh rate. I will be a 2K gamer for life as I turn up all nVidia panel options to high quality and highest settings and all AA methods on including MSAA and what not and game settings to highest quality and I see no jaggies and I get my 180FPS with dips to 110FPS only at certain times in Quake Champions the only game I care about. Don't get me wrong the 3080Ti is great for someone coming from a 5700XT or a 1070Ti or a 2070 plain. Every other situation for the gamer is not worth it and is a rip off. I mean come on the graphics card now costs 4x to 7x more then a nice Ryzen 3700x great CPU which is the brain behind it all. Just my thoughts not a troll and not a rant, just IMHO. Im sure some can relate. I will stick with my graphics card in my signature for minimum another 6 years as I don't care about RTX or Ray Tracing or the stupid war games IMO not yours. Thank you and long live Quake Champions a true FPS game and the best one ever and still being updated. Thank you 🆒 "

I can't help but also find it amusing that you said that "I will stick with my graphics card in my signature for minimum another 6 years as I don't care about RTX or Ray Tracing" and yet your signature now shows you with an RTX 2080.

No one is forcing you to upgrade your GPU, no one is forcing you to play at 4K. And if Nvidia as a company is such a cash-grabbing, "gimicky" company, AMD will happily sell you a GPU that you can use to "be a 2K gamer for life as I turn up all nVidia panel options to high quality and highest settings and all AA methods on including MSAA and what not and game settings to highest quality and I see no jaggies and I get my 180FPS with dips to 110FPS only at certain times in Quake Champions the only game I care about."

That's enough of these anti-(insert whatever, Nvidia, Intel, AMD, etc.) threads. We get it, you don't like Nvidia's business practices. Get over it and move on. Closing thread, and any others like it that you might start. We have enough trouble policing threads without anybody intentionally creating flame war click bait. If you want to continue to complain about Nvidia, do it in the FIRST thread you opened about them. Enough.

Any further threads of this type WILL result in some kind of sanction, so please, don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.