Question Actual CPU speed is higher than stock speed & it’s causing issues.

Nov 4, 2022
Hi.
So i have intel i7 8750h. After some time playing games i got bsod, and then my system started acting really weird, like i had a weird flickering in the interface, discord for example started to flick a lot and then crushed, same with some games. Reinstalling windows, updating drivers and bios doesn't help. The only thing, that fixes it - disabling intel speedstep in bios, which locks my cpu on stock frequency of 2.2ghz.

Even though I can do everything with this speed, like its enough for me to play games and other stuff, but my cpu can go to 3.9ghz which is almost twice the stock speed.

I tried to use throttlestop and set my cpu to speedshift, so my speedstep was disabled and at the same time my cpu frequency was at 3.9, but I was getting issues anyway, so that means that its not speedstep causing problems, but higher cpu frequency in general. Any thoughts?

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi.
So i have intel i7 8750h. After some time playing games i got bsod, and then my system started acting really weird, like i had a weird flickering in the interface, discord for example started to flick a lot and then crushed, same with some games. Reinstalling windows, updating drivers and bios doesn't help. The only thing, that fixes it - disabling intel speedstep in bios, which locks my cpu on based frequency of 2.2ghz. Even though I can do everything with this speed, like its enough for me to play games and other stuff, but my cpu can go to 3.9ghz which is almost twice more powerful than based speed. I tried to use throttlestop and set my cpu to speedshift, so my speedstep was disabled and at the same time my cpu frequency was at 3.9, but I was getting issues anyway, so that means that its not speedstep causing problems, but higher cpu frequency in general. Any thoughts?
You should install some temperature monitoring software and check how high it goes at maximum speed. Fans may need cleaning and thermals might have become high if you'd used the laptop in bed for protracted periods. Attaching a laptop cooling pad beneath the machine might also help - if the problem does concern temperature.

If the temps go above 92-95 degrees then the problems are most likely spanning from overheating.

Nov 4, 2022
You should install some temperature monitoring software and check how high it goes at maximum speed. Fans may need cleaning and thermals might have become high if you'd used the laptop in bed for protracted periods. Attaching a laptop cooling pad beneath the machine might also help - if the problem does concern temperature.

If the temps go above 92-95 degrees then the problems are most likely spanning from overheating.
No sadly thats not temperature problem, I have this problem no matter howI use my laptop, even when I just turned it on, it has issues. And I don't have this issues with high temperature when CPU speed is set to stock.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
No sadly thats not temperature problem, I have this problem no matter howI use my laptop, even when I just turned it on, it has issues. And I don't have this issues with high temperature when my speed set to based one
Well, it may be something really tricky. Unless you find a better answer, well, it would still be good to run it at 2.2 GHz if you can manage that for a long time without problems as you'd stated initially.

I remember, back in 2011, having a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 and it having had so many issues all around - from performance in games to the chassis itself - that I felt really sorry I hadn't bought a desktop instead.

It would be good, if you're a gamer or an animator or use many virtual machines and push the performance line to the limit constantly that you'd rather consider getting a desktop. Laptops aren't really meant for high temperatures and heavy usage; they'd die many times faster than a desktop in this regard.

So if you really want to juice it out and the laptop's life seems to be fizzling away, then getting a desktop might be a good idea - they last much longer.

Otherwise, I do hope you find out what the problem's about so you may gain that higher speed!

Nov 4, 2022
Well, it may be something really tricky. Unless you find a better answer, well, it would still be good to run it at 2.2 GHz if you can manage that for a long time without problems as you'd stated initially.

I remember, back in 2011, having a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 and it having had so many issues all around - from performance in games to the chassis itself - that I felt really sorry I hadn't bought a desktop instead.

It would be good, if you're a gamer or an animator or use many virtual machines and push the performance line to the limit constantly that you'd rather consider getting a desktop. Laptops aren't really meant for high temperatures and heavy usage; they'd die many times faster than a desktop in this regard.

So if you really want to juice it out and the laptop's life seems to be fizzling away, then getting a desktop might be a good idea - they last much longer.

Otherwise, I do hope you find out what the problem's about so you may gain that higher speed!
Thank you! Yeah gotta save that money for pc. I assume that cpu is just broken, but anyways wanna see what other people might say about situation

It's unlikely the CPU has failed; I've seen maybe three instances of a legit CPU failure in all the years I've been active here. It's more likely disabling Speedstep is hiding the problem occuring somewhere else.

First basic step you can do: Download/Run memtest86+ and see if you have a RAM fault, which would be FAR more common.

Nov 4, 2022
It's unlikely the CPU has failed; I've seen maybe three instances of a legit CPU failure in all the years I've been active here. It's more likely disabling Speedstep is hiding the problem occuring somewhere else.

First basic step you can do: Download/Run memtest86+ and see if you have a RAM fault, which would be FAR more common.
Thank you for your suggestion. I did what you said and test passed without any errors. So probably its your fourth instance of cpu failure, unless someone suggests other things to do.