TheKid870

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hello all,

I'm thinking about building a new pc but wanted to ask some people who know better than me before I put out the money. I got an email from microcenter a few days ago, they have i9 10850k's in stock for $320.00. My current build is around 6-7 years old with a GPU swap around 5 years ago. This is the build:

MoBo: Maximus V gene micro atx

CPU: i7 3770k

GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 black edition 8gb

RAM: 2x4gb of Gskill ddr3 2133

PSU: Seasonic gold , 750w

With the price of GPU's right now getting one is out the question for me budget wise. So my question is, is it worth putting out money for the CPU, a new MoBo, RAM, cooler etc when I'd just be slapping my old GPU in it anyway? I have a PSU and case at home that would lessen the hit slightly. I believe the case is a fractal design define r4 and the PSU is an NZXT HALE90-850-M. It's never been used, but has been sitting for several years so I assume I should test that before hand, What to guys think?

Last edited:
Solution
However, as with many of the comparisons I've found on Kitguru using results gleaned from DIFFERENT points in time, using different methodologies, I've more than once encountered the same thing with Hardware Canucks and I am therefore not particularly a fan of them. In this case, they show results from a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax cooler along with the Fuma 2 results, and from I see they have never DONE a review of the D15 Chromax cooler. They HAVE done a review of the Noctua NH-D15, regular version, but that was done in 2014 which tells me they were using entirely different methodologies between these two units since they did not change to the new methodology until February of 2020...
Yes, it would absolutely be worth it. Then at some point down the road, when hopefully the market stabilizes a little closer to normal, you can always upgrade the card at that time. Having a much newer CPU will absolutely be beneficial even with the existing graphics card, in most cases. And the 3770k is more like a 9 year old part, so definitely it's time for a change.

Reactions: TheKid870

TheKid870

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Yes, it would absolutely be worth it. Then at some point down the road, when hopefully the market stabilizes a little closer to normal, you can always upgrade the card at that time. Having a much newer CPU will absolutely be beneficial even with the existing graphics card, in most cases. And the 3770k is more like a 9 year old part, so definitely it's time for a change.
Appreciate the quick reply, I'll probably head down there today then!

While certainly better, by far, than any kind of "stock" cooler, I would not recommend the Fuma 2 for that i9 processor. Especially if you have ANY plans to try your hand with ANY amount of overclocking on it. It's simply not capable enough, being a 120mm heatsink. At the least I'd want to see some form of 140mm cooler, whether single or twin finstack, or a 280mm or larger AIO cooler. I've used a number of Scythe coolers in the past including the Fuma 2 on various builds and honestly it wouldn't even keep up with my single fan, single finstack Noctua NH-U14S. Just my opinion.

Which isn't to say it's a terrible cooler either, it's just, also not ALL that great. There are better options at or near that price range usually.

Reactions: TheKid870
However, as with many of the comparisons I've found on Kitguru using results gleaned from DIFFERENT points in time, using different methodologies, I've more than once encountered the same thing with Hardware Canucks and I am therefore not particularly a fan of them. In this case, they show results from a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax cooler along with the Fuma 2 results, and from I see they have never DONE a review of the D15 Chromax cooler. They HAVE done a review of the Noctua NH-D15, regular version, but that was done in 2014 which tells me they were using entirely different methodologies between these two units since they did not change to the new methodology until February of 2020.

So, while the test itself might show the cooler to be pretty capable, I never lend credit to ANY tech review site that uses data from different methodologies to show comparative performance. Does that mean the cooler is not good, as I said originally, no, it does not, but for me it pretty much negates the validity of the comparison at the very least. If you want credibility, then ONLY compare coolers that were all tested on the same platform using the same methodology.

And from my own perspective I'm pretty sure I don't agree with the cooler being as good as THEY say it is, because I put one on a Ryzen 3600x build and it did not perform as well as the Thermalright True Spirit Direct 140 that I swapped it out with. Obviously, everybody's mileage might vary AND I agree that it is a good cooler for the price. But I think there are better options within reasonable reach of the price of that cooler. Especially with it being a 125w CPU not counting boost conditions or overclocking. As we know, MANY coolers that look like they perform the same as more expensive, larger coolers, fail horribly once you reach a specific TDP point as a result of overclocking. Good, good, good and then bam, not so good in comparison to those higher end coolers that are still "good" once you've reached that much higher sustained TDP.

But it's certainly an option if the budget is very tight.

Solution

TheKid870

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
However, as with many of the comparisons I've found on Kitguru using results gleaned from DIFFERENT points in time, using different methodologies, I've more than once encountered the same thing with Hardware Canucks and I am therefore not particularly a fan of them. In this case, they show results from a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax cooler along with the Fuma 2 results, and from I see they have never DONE a review of the D15 Chromax cooler. They HAVE done a review of the Noctua NH-D15, regular version, but that was done in 2014 which tells me they were using entirely different methodologies between these two units since they did not change to the new methodology until February of 2020.

So, while the test itself might show the cooler to be pretty capable, I never lend credit to ANY tech review site that uses data from different methodologies to show comparative performance. Does that mean the cooler is not good, as I said originally, no, it does not, but for me it pretty much negates the validity of the comparison at the very least. If you want credibility, then ONLY compare coolers that were all tested on the same platform using the same methodology.

And from my own perspective I'm pretty sure I don't agree with the cooler being as good as THEY say it is, because I put one on a Ryzen 3600x build and it did not perform as well as the Thermalright True Spirit Direct 140 that I swapped it out with. Obviously, everybody's mileage might vary AND I agree that it is a good cooler for the price. But I think there are better options within reasonable reach of the price of that cooler. Especially with it being a 125w CPU not counting boost conditions or overclocking. As we know, MANY coolers that look like they perform the same as more expensive, larger coolers, fail horribly once you reach a specific TDP point as a result of overclocking. Good, good, good and then bam, not so good in comparison to those higher end coolers that are still "good" once you've reached that much higher sustained TDP.

But it's certainly an option if the budget is very tight.
Would you go with a Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite or a MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge? I can't really afford more than ~$200 range

TheKid870

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Alright just picked it up, along with an MSI Z490 Tomahawk. I was leaning towards the Z490 gaming edge because of the Wi-Fi, but the only one on the shelf had a massive dent in the box. Does the edge have any benefits in quality? Asking because I have two weeks to make a return. Sorry for these noob questions but I haven't built anything since 2013-14 and haven't kept up with the scene at all. The built in Wi-Fi would be nice because I take my rig to a buddies apartment occasionally and I can't go ethernet there.

The Z490 Tomahawk is a good choice in that price range.

So is the ASRock Z590 Pro4, ASRock Z490 Extreme 4, Z590 Steel legend and Z590 Aorus Elite. Personally, I think that MSI sucks especially because of their EXTREMELY poor track record when it comes to moral behavior,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

But they have some decent hardware and that motherboard isn't terrible at all for the price. Since you've already bought it, I'd use it. If you are the type who is adamant about supporting companies that don't try to push people around or use shady tactics, then you probably want to stick to ASRock or Gigabyte boards in this price range. ASUS has probably some of the best quality boards for the money in the mid to upper price ranges, but their customer service has slid way downhill over the past five years.

TheKid870

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for the info, I didn't know MSI was such a shady company. Regardless, I think I'll stick with what I have and hope for the best. Planning to get the rest of the parts within a week or so so I know that everything works. I'll post an update once its up and running, wish me luck!