badman614

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
My specs are currently:

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g

RAM: 8GB DDR4 3200MHz

SSD: 256GB NVME M.2

PSU: 500w bRONZE, EVGA

I have a PC that I want to upgrade that can game and edit videos for my youtube channel really well. Don't really care about 4K video, 1080p 60fps is fine for gaming and videos.

Should I get a RTX 570 / 580 / 590 or GTX ( ? ) Should go for a GTX 2080, but I can't afford another CPU or much to avoid CPU bottlenecking.

What do you guys recommend?

It needs to be able to video edit really well.
Game pretty much anygame at 1080p 60fps.
Keep costs very low.
Would I need a new CPU?

Would you also recommend 16GB ram? Could I just a 16GB and add it on for a total of 24GB ram? (Dumb question, as I've never heard of 24Gb of Ram),
could just download more, but I don't trust the website. 😶
Would a 1TB ssd be worth it too?

Could someone also explain bottlenecking to me and what they mean in terms of percentages?

Thank you!

Solution
Hi. Thank you for spending your time and giving such a detailed reply.
I am in the UK.
My Mobo is
MSI B450M PRO-VDH V2 (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)
I'm not really a hardcore gamer, but would like to play every once in a while. My youtube stuff probably won't be about gaming, but like vloggging and productivity etc. (Would it work well for that?)
I think im gonna get 1Tb ssd, for programming etc, a lot of space is needed.

Is 16GB ram good enough? Reason I ask is that Instead of selling my 2x4 Gb I could just buy another and then have 16Gb that way. but this will limit my Ram to only 16Gb.

P.S How do you get a flair at the bottom showing all of your specs, like you did?

OK, first of all, yes you could...

Lutfij

Titan
A new CPU and a discrete GPU would be the route to take. I'd advice on a lower tier GPU, akin to the GTX1660 or 1650 so you have a balanced system. Speaking of balanced, how old is the PSU and what series is it from? If you're on one stick of ram, then you should either buy the same stick again to have dual channel or buy a dual channel ram kit that's rated for DDR4-3200MHz. If you retain the APU, the memory won't go that far but if you go for a 2000 series processor, you can hit that 3200MHz mark.

badman614

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
A new CPU and a discrete GPU would be the route to take. I'd advice on a lower tier GPU, akin to the GTX1660 or 1650 so you have a balanced system. Speaking of balanced, how old is the PSU and what series is it from? If you're on one stick of ram, then you should either buy the same stick again to have dual channel or buy a dual channel ram kit that's rated for DDR4-3200MHz. If you retain the APU, the memory won't go that far but if you go for a 2000 series processor, you can hit that 3200MHz mark.
Hi thanks for the reply.
The PSU is now 2.5 years old.
I have two sticks of RAM right now.
Pretty sure this is my PSU: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500...ire-single-rail-40a-plus12v-120mm-fan-atx-psu
Which CPU would you recommend? It ahs to be AMD for my motherboard and AM4 socket.

Where in the world are you? It will be way easier to advice you if we knew where do you live. Its not the same to buy stuff in the US, than in Spain, or Brasil.

Whats you motherboard brand and model?

Anyways about your question, as Lutfij wrote you will want a new CPU (the Ryzen 3 2200G with only 4cores/4 threads was never meant for video editing), GPU and RAM.

For a budget upgrade I would do the following if posible by price and stock:

CPU (keep in mind you may need to upgrade your BIOS before installing this on the motherboard): I would aim for a Ryzen 5 1600AF (this one is build on 12nm, zen+, which mean is basically a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 1~2% performance diference), a Ryzen 5 2600 (if the AF model is no where to be found), or a Ryzen 5 2600X (depending on where you live could be cheaper than the non-x part). The final option will be the Ryzen 5 3600 but that one is usually kinda expensive right now, used to go for around U$ 170, but lately is around U$ 205. In short I would try to keep the CPU upgrade at U$ 165 or less.

GPU: I agree with Lutfij, GT 1650/1660 is a very nice step up from the integrated GPU you are using now. There are way faster cards but you will have to spend a lot more money. The Super or TI models, are usually a bit better, performance wise, and could cost around the same as the basic models. Also keep an eye on the VRAM, as some of the more cheap models comes with GDDR5 instead of GDDR6. The main diference between this two cards is that the 1660 have 6GB VRAM while the 1650 comes with ony 4GB.

RAM: I would sell the 2 sticks of RAM you have right now, and get at least 2x8GB DDR4 2933~3200MHz Kit. Of course for Video editing I would really recommend 2x16GB (DDR4 2933~3200MHz) kit, but I guess it will all depend on how much money you can/wana spend.

In short a Ryzen 5 (1600AF/2600/2600X/3600), at least 16GB of RAM in dual channel (hence the 2x8GB kit) and a GTX 1650/1660/Super/TI will be a very budget, yet decent setup for 1080p gaming, and entry level video editing.

Finally about your SSD question, it all depend on what you game (and how many games), and how serious you are about youtubing. If its just a hobby then a 1TB HDD may be enough, if not I would spend the extra for a 1TB SSD. I woul also start thinking about an external backup disk. But hey thats something only you can know.

Cheers!

badman614

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
Where in the world are you? It will be way easier to advice you if we knew where do you live. Its not the same to buy stuff in the US, than in Spain, or Brasil.

Whats you motherboard brand and model?

Anyways about your question, as Lutfij wrote you will want a new CPU (the Ryzen 3 2200G with only 4cores/4 threads was never meant for video editing), GPU and RAM.

For a budget upgrade I would do the following if posible by price and stock:

CPU (keep in mind you may need to upgrade your BIOS before installing this on the motherboard): I would aim for a Ryzen 5 1600AF (this one is build on 12nm, zen+, which mean is basically a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 1~2% performance diference), a Ryzen 5 2600 (if the AF model is no where to be found), or a Ryzen 5 2600X (depending on where you live could be cheaper than the non-x part). The final option will be the Ryzen 5 3600 but that one is usually kinda expensive right now, used to go for around U$ 170, but lately is around U$ 205. In short I would try to keep the CPU upgrade at U$ 165 or less.

GPU: I agree with Lutfij, GT 1650/1660 is a very nice step up from the integrated GPU you are using now. There are way faster cards but you will have to spend a lot more money. The Super or TI models, are usually a bit better, performance wise, and could cost around the same as the basic models. Also keep an eye on the VRAM, as some of the more cheap models comes with GDDR5 instead of GDDR6. The main diference between this two cards is that the 1660 have 6GB VRAM while the 1650 comes with ony 4GB.

RAM: I would sell the 2 sticks of RAM you have right now, and get at least 2x8GB DDR4 2933~3200MHz Kit. Of course for Video editing I would really recommend 2x16GB (DDR4 2933~3200MHz) kit, but I guess it will all depend on how much money you can/wana spend.

In short a Ryzen 5 (1600AF/2600/2600X/3600), at least 16GB of RAM in dual channel (hence the 2x8GB kit) and a GTX 1650/1660/Super/TI will be a very budget, yet decent setup for 1080p gaming, and entry level video editing.

Finally about your SSD question, it all depend on what you game (and how many games), and how serious you are about youtubing. If its just a hobby then a 1TB HDD may be enough, if not I would spend the extra for a 1TB SSD. I woul also start thinking about an external backup disk. But hey thats something only you can know.

Cheers!
I am in the UK.
My Mobo is
I'm not really a hardcore gamer, but would like to play every once in a while. My youtube stuff probably won't be about gaming, but like vloggging and productivity etc. (Would it work well for that?)

Is 16GB ram good enough? Reason I ask is that Instead of selling my 2x4 Gb I could just buy another and then have 16Gb that way. but this will limit my Ram to only 16Gb.

P.S How do you get a flair at the bottom showing all of your specs, like you did?

I am in the UK.
My Mobo is

OK, first of all, yes you could just buy and add another 2x4GB or even 2x8GB RAM, but then you may have a hard time trying to enable XMP/DOCP and/or even trying to work in dual channel. For me the best option is to try to sell your current 2x4GB (already said that in my other post), and get new RAM. But hey you are free to experiment your self :)

Lets see for UK, this is the cheapest I could find right now (keep in mind that this PC list make sense at this current prices, at a higher price you will have to compare components, brands and models and see whats better):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£123.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£68.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.51 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB DUAL OC Video Card (£160.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £437.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-02 14:32 GMT+0000

- CPU alternative: If around ~£180 is a nice and very powerfull alternative: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box
- RAM alternative: If you wana be on the safe side while programming and/or video editing, as I wrote in my other post, then 2x16GB kit-for dual channel (32GB in total) is the way to go: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-hx432c18fbk232; https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kXbkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk
- GPU alternative: At ~£250 is a nice step up over the GTX 1650 in the list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-super-ventus-xs-oc

Note about SSD: Since you already have a 256GB NVME m.2 drive, I would add a secondary 1TB SATA one (your motherboard only have 1 m.2 slot). This SATA drive will be speedy enough for the tasks that you wrote.

Note about new GPUs: Newer discrete gpu don't come with VGA port, so keep in mind that for when you get a newer one, your display (monitor) needs to have a HDMI or DisplayPort socket in the back (unless you wana deal with HDMI/DP to VGA adapters- which are not great)

Finally to list my PC components I just went to my profile, and edited my signature.

Solution

badman614

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
OK, first of all, yes you could just buy and add another 2x4GB or even 2x8GB RAM, but then you may have a hard time trying to enable XMP/DOCP and/or even trying to work in dual channel. For me the best option is to try to sell your current 2x4GB (already said that in my other post), and get new RAM. But hey you are free to experiment your self :)

Lets see for UK, this is the cheapest I could find right now (keep in mind that this PC list make sense at this current prices, at a higher price you will have to compare components, brands and models and see whats better):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£123.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£68.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.51 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB DUAL OC Video Card (£160.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £437.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-02 14:32 GMT+0000

- CPU alternative: If around ~£180 is a nice and very powerfull alternative: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box
- RAM alternative: If you wana be on the safe side while programming and/or video editing, as I wrote in my other post, then 2x16GB kit-for dual channel (32GB in total) is the way to go: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-hx432c18fbk232; https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kXbkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk
- GPU alternative: At ~£250 is a nice step up over the GTX 1650 in the list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-super-ventus-xs-oc

Note about SSD: Since you already have a 256GB NVME m.2 drive, I would add a secondary 1TB SATA one (your motherboard only have 1 m.2 slot). This SATA drive will be speedy enough for the tasks that you wrote.

Note about new GPUs: Newer discrete gpu don't come with VGA port, so keep in mind that for when you get a newer one, your display (monitor) needs to have a HDMI or DisplayPort socket in the back (unless you wana deal with HDMI/DP to VGA adapters- which are not great)

Finally to list my PC components I just went to my profile, and edited my signature.
Hi thanks for the reply and all of the effort that you went to answer this question. I really do appreciate all of your help and such attention to detail. Thank you for being kind. I'll be in touch if I have anymore questions if thats okay :)

Reactions: RodroX