[SOLVED] Advice on fan placement for the most optimal airflow?

Sep 4, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/a/7HrrQQh

Hi all, this is my cooling setup.
2x intake at the front
1x intake facing the gpu
1x exhaust out the backside (top back)

my psu is mounted facing downwards, so it’s an intake fan.

are my arrows somewhat accurate as to how the air is flowing in my case? Would you change anything? I have 2 slots at the roof of the case up top and one slot next to the green one at the bottom. Would you move the bottom green one to the top as an exhaust? Or is it a good idea to have 2 intake fans on top of each other (the psu, and green one) blowing air into the GPU?

Solution
i See, I thought since both are intake fans ( the psu and lone fan ) , and the gpu fans suck air too that it means there’s a strong current of cool air blowing in from the bottom on the case into the psu, into the lone fan, and finally into the gpu. ( just a theory I could be completely wrong.

you are correct, the PSU is sitting right under the lone fan( on top of the grill) , but I’ve installed the psu with its fan facing down so both fans are not like right under each other, some inches in between, if that makes sense.
The driver and driver cages and cables are down there as well yes ( under where the statue stands)

when I try to test the lone fan with a tissue paper, it’s pushing air up into the GPU but like you say this is...
Its a trial and error process. Temps may vary depending on case and fan setup. The fundamental rule is, Front and Bottom intake and Rear and Top exhaust as hot air rises up. Mix and match with combinations while monitoring the temps to see which combination gives you the best results.

Reactions: Jgc1992
Sep 4, 2021
Question: That bottom-left fan in the picture... what is is doing exactly? The psu is right under it, no?

It’s sucking air into the case from the bottom.
Yes the psu is separate in a cage. And that fan is mounted on the top of the psu cage, the psu fan is facing down, therefore both the psu fan and the one in the picture are sucking air into the case. I thought an extra cooling for my gpu since it’s facing it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the psu is under it, that fan isn't really doing anything beneficial.
The psu, the psu shroud, the psu's cables, the storage drives and drive cage(if they're down there), and even the little statue, all add air resistance.
In the case of that one little fan though: it's not bringing any extra air in, but re-circling the air above it and fighting with the gpu fan.
If you try to reach in, and feel the air from the fan: this doesn't work, because by opening up the chassis, you change the paths of the air entirely.

Unless I misunderstood something, and the psu isn't actually below the lone fan?

Sep 4, 2021
If the psu is under it, that fan isn't really doing anything beneficial.
The psu, the psu shroud, the psu's cables, the storage drives and drive cage(if they're down there), and even the little statue, all add air resistance.
In the case of that one little fan though: it's not bringing any extra air in, but re-circling the air above it and fighting with the gpu fan.
If you try to reach in, and feel the air from the fan: this doesn't work, because by opening up the chassis, you change the paths of the air entirely.

Unless I misunderstood something, and the psu isn't actually below the lone fan?

i See, I thought since both are intake fans ( the psu and lone fan ) , and the gpu fans suck air too that it means there’s a strong current of cool air blowing in from the bottom on the case into the psu, into the lone fan, and finally into the gpu. ( just a theory I could be completely wrong.

you are correct, the PSU is sitting right under the lone fan( on top of the grill) , but I’ve installed the psu with its fan facing down so both fans are not like right under each other, some inches in between, if that makes sense.
The driver and driver cages and cables are down there as well yes ( under where the statue stands)

when I try to test the lone fan with a tissue paper, it’s pushing air up into the GPU but like you say this is with the case open so I can’t say that’s accurate.

do you suggest moving the lone fan to the right so where the statue is?

when I try to test the lone fan with a tissue paper, it’s pushing air up into the GPU but like you say this is with the case open so I can’t say that’s accurate.

do you suggest moving the lone fan to the right so where the statue is?
PSU orientation doesn't really make much difference to overall system temps. But putting a fan on top of the PSU kind of defeats the purpose...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhRzOfpNsc

Solution
Sep 4, 2021
PSU orientation doesn't really make much difference to overall system temps. But putting a fan on top of the PSU kind of defeats the purpose...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhRzOfpNsc
Thanks for the reply and video, it was helpful.

i moved the bottom fan to the top of the case as an exhaust, temperatures seem to be the same, cpu is running a tiny bit cooler, 0,5c +\- so I guess that fan didn’t do much for my gpu.

I was almost certain that the case had a slot above the psu for the purpose of cooling the gpu, now I even question why they even have a slot there.

i think I will add one more fan as intake at the bottom but to the right of where I had it ( there’s another slot and it’s not above the CPU but above the SDD cage ( where the goat statue is standing).

i read and watched that having more intake than exhaust gives a better positive pressure which is ideally what is needed for most optimal air cooling. And dust.

Airflow plan looks good.

However, over time, dust will collect and defeat the cooling. To slow this process down, I's suggest that the case doesn't stay on the floor in a corner, but raises some inches from the ground. I've tested this myself (actually made a small table for this purpose only) and turns out having a very good effect against dust collection.

Sep 4, 2021
Airflow plan looks good.

However, over time, dust will collect and defeat the cooling. To slow this process down, I's suggest that the case doesn't stay on the floor in a corner, but raises some inches from the ground. I've tested this myself (actually made a small table for this purpose only) and turns out having a very good effect against dust collection.

noted. My intake fans have a dust filter so does my psu fan. My rig is placed above the ground on a table as well. I regularly swipe the table and plan on cleaning the dust filters once a month.

I also have plans to mount my rig on the wall. With a specially made shelf, one that holds the rig very firmly but is also totally open from the bottom.

Sep 4, 2021
How are temps looking now???

so I ran a 3 hour test on a full (gaming) load, sword of legends online to be exact. The game is decent but I use it for testing as it is extremely graphical.

difference between picture and new setup:

cpu temp improved by 0,5C
Gpu temp improved by 1C
gpu is now running at 62C maximum
cpu is now running at 35C maximum.

Idle GPU: 30C
Idle CPU: 25C

gpu drop down from full load to idle sits around 37C

cpu drop down sits at 28C.

i find this to be quite a solid temperature overview (?) and come winter I think I will see even lower temps. Where I am can reach -15C, and I game in the coldest room(attic) in the house.

i would like to though, test my psu temps and motherboard as well.

this is my rig for extra info:

Intel I5 10400F
Gtx 1650 D6
16GB (8x2) transcend ram
Asrock H510M-HDV
550W Xilence
Arctic Freezer 34 CPU cooler.

so I ran a 3 hour test on a full (gaming) load, sword of legends online to be exact. The game is decent but I use it for testing as it is extremely graphical.

difference between picture and new setup:

cpu temp improved by 0,5C
Gpu temp improved by 1C
gpu is now running at 62C maximum
cpu is now running at 35C maximum.

Idle GPU: 30C
Idle CPU: 25C

gpu drop down from full load to idle sits around 37C

cpu drop down sits at 28C.

i find this to be quite a solid temperature overview (?) and come winter I think I will see even lower temps. Where I am can reach -15C, and I game in the coldest room(attic) in the house.

i would like to though, test my psu temps and motherboard as well.

this is my rig for extra info:

Intel I5 10400F
Gtx 1650 D6
16GB (8x2) transcend ram
Asrock H510M-HDV
550W Xilence
Arctic Freezer 34 CPU cooler.
Those figures look pretty good.
Whats that Xilence variant???

Sep 4, 2021
yes, budget is the right word. It’s average, definitely not top of the line. If I do go for a gpu upgrade etc then I would probably change it in the future. But as is I think it does okay.

My gpu consumes 75W of power with no dedicated power cable for it. I guess that makes the load on my psu significantly less.

as long as it doesn’t burn down my pc- or house, I’m satisfied for now lol.

yes, budget is the right word. It’s average, definitely not top of the line. If I do go for a gpu upgrade etc then I would probably change it in the future. But as is I think it does okay.

My gpu consumes 75W of power with no dedicated power cable for it. I guess that makes the load on my psu significantly less.

as long as it doesn’t burn down my pc- or house, I’m satisfied for now lol.
sounds good

TRENDING THREADS