Question Advice with upgrading fans

Feb 15, 2022
Hey Guys,

I am looking to install some more fans on my system, currently I only have 1 Stock PC Fan which is pulling air out of the housing into the room.

I want to know, how would you guys go about installing fans into my current housing? It can hold 3 fans in the bottom part and one on the backside, how to set it up most effeciently? Which one/s should pull which ones expell the air? Im confused since it will cause an imbalance because the back can only hold one...

View: https://imgur.com/a/SY1jSij

More accurate detail needed.

You say "three fans in the bottom part". Not sure what that means.

What brand and model case.....or PC if it is a prebuilt?

How many fan mount points on the front side? Should be one; possibly 2.

What diameter mounts? Ideally 120 mm or larger.

Standard procedure would be to have one or two fans mounted on the front side; both blowing air into the case....and one on the back side sucking air out.

Evaluate temps with that and possibly make later adjustments.

You will need to experiment and evaluate. There is no substitute.

I gather from your description that you have ONLY 1 fan and it is on the backside, nothing on the front. NOT good.

You may or may not have fan mounts on the top or bottom (underside) of the case. Find out and report back.

I want to know, how would you guys go about installing fans into my current housing?
It can hold 3 fans in the bottom part and one on the backside,
how to set it up most effeciently? Which one/s should pull which ones expell the air?
What model pc case are you using?
or show more photos of your pc case.

Generally you set fans like this:

directions.jpg

Feb 15, 2022
I have posted a picture of my case, this is it

There are no fan mounts in the front. Only rear and underside. Underside has 3 mounts, rear has one. And for the sizing, It's just a standard size I would presume.

It's not pre-built, I built it myself, and the case was recommended to me by the store i bought the parts a few years back.

https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-chassis/303

Details above say those fan mounts on the underside are 120mm.

Diagram says they should blow air in, just as if they were on the front. As expected.

No mounts on front.

So you have no choice but to try the mounts on the underside.

Never saw a case like this before and you may not find anyone here with experience on it.

I'd try a couple of high quality fans and see what temps I got. Experiment with BIOS settings; possibly add a third; possibly not.

Make sure you get PWM fans if your motherboard supports them.

Trial and error, like any other cooling situation.

Feb 15, 2022
Put
2 or 3 - 120mm intake fans at bottom and​
one 120mm exhaust fan at back.​
Should be enough.
What CPU and GPU is in the system?

At the moment im still running the Ryzen 7 1700 with a PowerColor Red Devil Rx480.

https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-chassis/303

Details above say those fan mounts on the underside are 120mm.

Diagram says they should blow air in, just as if they were on the front. As expected.

No mounts on front.

So you have no choice but to try the mounts on the underside.

Never saw a case like this before and you may not find anyone here with experience on it.

I'd try a couple of high quality fans and see what temps I got. Experiment with BIOS settings; possibly add a third; possibly not.

Make sure you get PWM fans if your motherboard supports them.

Trial and error, like any other cooling situation.

Ah I just saw that diagram on the website with the link you provided! Is it possible this case is mainly designed for watercooled system?

So when I have 2/3 In the bottom and 1 on the back, do I set the exhaust to run at a higher speed than the bottom ones?

Thanks for you're help so far guys really appreciate it :)

At the moment im still running the Ryzen 7 1700 with a PowerColor Red Devil Rx480.

Ah I just saw that diagram on the website with the link you provided! Is it possible this case is mainly designed for watercooled system?

So when I have 2/3 In the bottom and 1 on the back, do I set the exhaust to run at a higher speed than the bottom ones?

Thanks for you're help so far guys really appreciate it :)

I don't know if the case is intended for water cooling. Might be in the specs somewhere. It's a uncommon case from a manufacturer not widely available in the US although In-Win has been around a long time.

Re exhaust fan speeds. Experiment. I have no idea if your exhaust fan speed can be adjusted. It may be a cheesy fan that you'd want to replace anyway. I have no knowledge.

Your tolerance for noise may come into play?

You need to locate all fan connectors on the motherboard and determine if they are 3 pin or 4 pin.

A reasonable choice for 120 mm case fans would be Noctua....something from their A series or S series, rather than F.

Reactions: ccfabian
Feb 15, 2022
I don't know if the case is intended for water cooling. Might be in the specs somewhere. It's a uncommon case from a manufacturer not widely available in the US although In-Win has been around a long time.

Re exhaust fan speeds. Experiment. I have no idea if your exhaust fan speed can be adjusted. It may be a cheesy fan that you'd want to replace anyway. I have no knowledge.

Your tolerance for noise may come into play?

You need to locate all fan connectors on the motherboard and determine if they are 3 pin or 4 pin.

A reasonable choice for 120 mm case fans would be Noctua....something from their A series or S series, rather than F.

I see,

They are definitely 4 Pin Connectors

What do you think about these?

I see,

They are definitely 4 Pin Connectors

What do you think about these?

I know nothing about Corsair fans.

The fact is 90% plus of PC users pay little or no attention to fans.....with good reason. It's a geek topic for hardware nerds who build their own.

It's not likely your fan choice will turn out to be a big factor in your PC life.

It might matter a bit at the margin and you might feel better about yourself for choosing fan A rather than fan B. Is that a good reason?

Exceptions might be if you need to run fans at high rpm....the noise might annoy you. Fans are likely to be audible above 1000 rpm.

Or an exception might be if you are obsessive/compulsive and just can't help yourself. A worry wart. Anxiety-ridden. "What If I'm Wrong!!!!"

The main thing is to choose a compatible fan that will fit in the mount and hopefully will last a long time. That's good enough for most....not necessarily for me or you.

Reactions: ccfabian
Feb 15, 2022
Expensive.
Do you really need all that RGB bling?

Hmmm.. Need is the wrong word haha :ROFLMAO:
It's more of a desire to bring back some new life into my now 4 year old PC which at the time when I built it cost me dearly :giggle:

I know nothing about Corsair fans.

The fact is 90% plus of PC users pay little or no attention to fans.....with good reason. It's a geek topic for hardware nerds who build their own.

It's not likely your fan choice will turn out to be a big factor in your PC life.

It might matter a bit at the margin and you might feel better about yourself for choosing fan A rather than fan B. Is that a good reason?

Exceptions might be if you need to run fans at high rpm....the noise might annoy you. Fans are likely to be audible above 1000 rpm.

Or an exception might be if you are obsessive/compulsive and just can't help yourself. A worry wart. Anxiety-ridden. "What If I'm Wrong!!!!"

The main thing is to choose a compatible fan that will fit in the mount and hopefully will last a long time. That's good enough for most....not necessarily for me or you.

Hahahah thanks for that Input!!! Made me crack up :p

You guys have helped me a lot, much obliged :giggle:

What is the problem you are trying to solve?
Is your cpu or graphics card running too hot?
Run HWmonitor or such and put a load by playing your favorite games.
If the peak GPU or CPU temperature is in the 80c. range, you are ok.

The case was an unfortunate choice from the cooling perspective.
I might question the competence of the store.

To do better, you can get more fresh cooling air into the case by adding a couple of 120mm bottom intakes. Whatever fresh air that comes in the bottom will exit SOMEWHERE, taking component heat with it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two comments. First, it's not clear how much of the case interior can be seen when closed and operating - photo looks like it was taken with side panel removed. You are planning to mount fans inside the bottom. With the side panel on, I do not think you can see those fans at all. so fans with LIGHTS is pointless. On the other hand, your photo shows red lights operating in the CPU cooler and mobo, and the mobo pic shows Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5. So maybe you CAN see the lights. If you do get lighted fans, I suggest 4-pin PWM style fans BUT ensure they must be of the 4-pin plain RGB lighting system, not the other 3-pin ARGB lights. That is the ONLY type of mobo headers you have - see mobo manual p. 16, items 8 and 9.

Regarding balance, it is desirable to have slightly more intake air flow capacity than exhaust. With no details on the existing rear exhaust, we can only guess based on fan count (assuming all fans will be 120 mm). Two intakes will be enough - more may not help a lot. That MAY produce more intake flow than you need, but that's a small item for "tweaking", not a real problem. Slight excess intake means there is a SMALL air pressure inside the case so that any air leakage at cracks will be outwards, preventing intake of unfiltered air and dirt. But the intake fans (on the bottom) need some dust filter in front of them. That may already be part of the case - the photo shows a gridwork and maybe a fine mesh or foam filter under that.

Feb 15, 2022
I have ordered 4 New 120mm fans which will arrive in the coming days. Once they do, I will monitor the temps under load and report back.

Regarding not seeing RGB. the front of the case is made of glass making it so that any lighting makes it appealing to the eye :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

If using a tower type aircooler, keep the rear exhaust. If using a downdraft aircooler, like the amd stock cooler, don't need the rear exhaust. Either way, use 3 intakes on the bottom and 3 exhaust on the top. That creates a chimney affect, helps draw heat in its natural direction. You won't need to blast the fans, there's 3 of them, so any decent rpm is good, 600-900rpm.

There's plenty of viable airflow in that case. I'd use higher SP or radiator fans as intakes, high airflow as exhaust.

Last edited: