[SOLVED] AIO Cooler shutting off randomly

Sep 1, 2020
I just installed an AIO onto my pc and randomly it will turn off (LED screen) and all 3 fans will stop spinning.

The AIO that i have is a gigabyte aorus 360mm liquid cpu cooler.

I looked online and saw that qfan control switching from PWM to DC might help - the issue is i dont have the cables everyone is talking about to plug into the MOBO

All i have coming out of the aio is - USB 2.0, Sata Power (plugged into its own cable coming off my PSU bcuz i have another Sata female cable for something else and i wanted this one to be on its own bcuz i thought that would fix it -it didnt tho), and then i have 1 cable split to 3 female fan headers and 1 cable splitting 3 female rgb headers (my gigabyte fans plug into these).

So far the only way ive been able to fix it is either shut down my pc fully (sometimes it takes 3 times). or shutting my pc down, cutting of the power to the PC - unplugging the sata power and pluggin it back in (again this doesnt work always).

I dont know what the issue is - for the sake of it possibly being the PSU here is what i have (all recently purchased in october):

CPU: ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: (AMD - gigabyte) 5600xt
MOBO: Asus prime b550 plus
storage: x2 - 1tb crucial p1 m.2 nvme
memory: 2x16gb @ 3200
AIO/CPU Cooler: gigabyte aorus 360mm
Case: Lian li lancool 2
Fans: 3 lian li bora digitals + 2 lian li case fans plugged into a fan hub + the 3 gigabyte fans on my radiator.

PSU: corsair tx750m (gold and 750 watts)

someone please help as this is wrecking my gaming when my aio goes black and fans stop spinning and then it takes me a couple minutes to get my computer to recognize its their and for the fans to start spinning again.

Solution
Yes was typing now.

Have you gone into your Windows Power Plan ( the plan you are on regardless which 1 you are on) and disabled the Usb Selective Suspend?

From what I saw on you cooler the cable from the cooler to the 9pin header will do exactly pretty much what my Corsair's do
With suppling info on pump and fan speeds along with the ability to control those on the fly or in your case In game.
Sep 1, 2020
check your device manager settings for that USB2.0 port may have to untick allow Windows to turn off this device to save power under Power Management

Ok - btw i also have my peripherals constantly disconnect (with the windows noise as well) for about 5 seconds and it happens about once every 30 minutes - i went into windows settings and did that thing you mentioned but for usb in windows (the peripherals are plugged into the Rear IO)

Should i do this usb 2.0 port (its plugged into the 2.0 port on the MOBO) under bios? can i do it in windows or bios?

Sep 1, 2020
So i forgot to mention the cooler isnt plugged into a normal usb 2.0 header like you would find on the side of a laptop. its plugged into the actual weird looking 2.0 header on the motherboard itself.

under device manager (i cant post screenshots forsome reason) theres a line that reads:
"universal serial bus controllers" when expanding that it says:
amd usb 3.1 extensible host controller
generic usb hub
unknown usb device (device descripter request failed) assuming this could be my AIO?
usb composite device
usb composite device
usb composite device
usb root hub (usb 3.0)
usb root hub (usb 3.0)

yes in device manager, there may be a power management tab for each device.
and yes the disconnect sound is the power-saver mode kicking in. fixed it for colleagues who use USB mice and keyboards who weren't aware. And the 9-pin header is not a problem - it'll still be a physical port somewhere in the listing (maybe the device driver for your AIO needs to be re-installed/updated. often you can copy the device id string and paste it into a google search to determine the actual device

So i forgot to mention the cooler isnt plugged into a normal usb 2.0 header like you would find on the side of a laptop. its plugged into the actual weird looking 2.0 header on the motherboard itself.

under device manager (i cant post screenshots forsome reason) theres a line that reads:
"universal serial bus controllers" when expanding that it says:
generic usb hub
unknown usb device (device descripter request failed) assuming this could be my AIO?
usb composite device
usb composite device
usb composite device
usb root hub (usb 3.0)
usb root hub (usb 3.0)

Sep 1, 2020
yes in device manager, there may be a power management tab for each device.
and yes the disconnect sound is the power-saver mode kicking in. fixed it for colleagues who use USB mice and keyboards who weren't aware. And the 9-pin header is not a problem - it'll still be a physical port somewhere in the listing (maybe the device driver for your AIO needs to be re-installed/updated. often you can copy the device id string and paste it into a google search to determine the actual device
I went into device manager and turned off power saver for literally everything. My aio and mouse and keyboard constantly disconnect (literally multiple times per couple minutes for the mouse and keyboard, i posted this issue on another topic tho).

Ive updated drivers, reinstalled windows (keeping data), disabled power management setting on every USB part in device manager, ive unplugged from one 9 pin to another 9 pin and it didnt work.

the issue with the mouse and keyboard makes it unplayable and obviously when i notice my cpu cooler stopping i immediately turn off my pc and just hope to try again tmrw.

drivers for MOBO, AIO, CPU, GPU, and Mouse and Keyboard are all updated (everything else is too but i specifically checked for these)

for the peripherals issue ive plugged into my case usb port, and the 7 usb ports i have on my mobo and have tried rearranging them around and the issue still happens.

Sep 1, 2020
Do you have a 2nd 9pin usb header on that mobo and have you tried it.?

On 1 of my corsair coolers I had to unplug the 9pim cable to the cooler while the system was running then it recognized it.
Didn't like doing it like that but it worked.
what does the 9 pin do? why would i unplug it if it turned off mid game? would that allow my PC to recognize it when its unplugged? would it turn back on and automatically start pumping and fans spinning again?

Also see my below reply for more info

Well on my corsair water coolers the power is from the sata power cable and the fans are plugged into the split fan lead from the pump so it would stay powered and running.
The 9pin to the pump head sends the infomation and allows for control from the corsair programs corsair link 4 or Icue.

I wouldn't do it during a gaming session,
But with the system powered up long enough to unplug and replug it in to the other 9pin header. As soon as I did that the windows connection sound let me know it finally recognized it.

Have you talked to Asus tech support about the disconnecting issues?

Sep 1, 2020
Well on my corsair water coolers the power is from the sata power cable and the fans are plugged into the split fan lead from the pump so it would stay powered and running.
The 9pin to the pump head sends the infomation and allows for control from the corsair programs corsair link 4 or Icue.

I wouldn't do it during a gaming session,
But with the system powered up long enough to unplug and replug it in to the other 9pin header. As soon as I did that the windows connection sound let me know it finally recognized it.

Have you talked to Asus tech support about the disconnecting issues?
no i havent talked to them. And i have changed the 9pin to a different header on the MOBO but the computer was off when i did it.

Why the F would they make something that youd have to unplug sometimes and plug sometimes and disconnect sometimes. very frustrating.

So to reiterate:
  1. i dont have to have the 9pin in? (if i dont i cant do the aorus engine and rgb stuff?)
  2. is there a time when i should have the 9 pin in?
  3. Does it cause hardware damage to any component of my pc not having it plugged in.

as a side note do you have any recommendation on my other issue mentioned in this thread about my peripherals disconnecting literally 15 times in 5 minutes? ive done literally everything you can think of.

Yes was typing now.

Have you gone into your Windows Power Plan ( the plan you are on regardless which 1 you are on) and disabled the Usb Selective Suspend?

From what I saw on you cooler the cable from the cooler to the 9pin header will do exactly pretty much what my Corsair's do
With suppling info on pump and fan speeds along with the ability to control those on the fly or in your case In game.

Solution