[SOLVED] AMD 2700X Stuck to Stock Heatsink

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
Hi,

A friend asked me to install an AIO for his 2700X as he's used the stock cooler for 2 years and wants something different, so I went to take the cooler off and the CPU came with it. I spent a good 15 minutes applying isopropyl alcohol around the CPU but nothing has changed. I tried to get some fishing line underneath but it seems to be welded to the damn thing. I added some images to help. Any tips?

Solution
best method I can think of is heating it up a little with a hair dryer and working a razor blade under it. I have used a window scraper that takes razor blade inserts to remove a processor stuck similar in the past. Just work it under slowly under each corner and each side, be patient and careful and make sure to be very careful not to bend any pins as you work on it. It should eventually release.
Hi,

A friend asked me to install an AIO for his 2700X as he's used the stock cooler for 2 years and wants something different, so I went to take the cooler off and the CPU came with it. I spent a good 15 minutes applying isopropyl alcohol around the CPU but nothing has changed. I tried to get some fishing line underneath but it seems to be welded to the damn thing. I added some images to help. Any tips?
Try to reinsert it in the socket with leaver up and than twist it left and right until it loosens up. If you can't insert it in the socket try twisting it or at worst use thin knife on a corner.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
How did you try to heat the cooler?

I'm a newbie so this may not be the best answer, but if you can get the CPU back into the socket and do something processor intensive, maybe it will heat up enough to loosen up the thermal paste.

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
How did you try to heat the cooler?

I'm a newbie so this may not be the best answer, but if you can get the CPU back into the socket and do something processor intensive, maybe it will heat up enough to loosen up the thermal paste.
Used a heat gun on one side, and a hairdryer on the other, for a good 8 minutes. Burnt my finger checking how hot it was, and the paste on the edges was still bone dry

best method I can think of is heating it up a little with a hair dryer and working a razor blade under it. I have used a window scraper that takes razor blade inserts to remove a processor stuck similar in the past. Just work it under slowly under each corner and each side, be patient and careful and make sure to be very careful not to bend any pins as you work on it. It should eventually release.

Solution