Cmill12345

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
So starting from the beginning I was trying to make a build that replaced my two pc setup for streaming on twitch. I was reading up some about the best cpus for streaming + gaming and came across the 3950x. I figured since It had 16 cores I could stream and game with no problems.

With that being said ^ when I say could do both I'm talking about high frames. I have a 240 hz monitor and want to utilize my refresh rate as best I can for competitive high fps games.

So I went ahead and built this monster rig, took me about 3 days of nonstop working on it here is a picture:

Link to build <--- Picture

Frames were 20-50 higher in warzone while not streaming compared to my old build with all the same specs except the cpu being an 17-7700k and the ram being 16gb.
After though when I attempted to stream and game at the same time I was very disappointed...
I went to stream I lost about 50-100 frames depending on where I was at. Really wish I would have just stuck with the two pc capture card setup.

Streaming using x264 same obs settings as my old rig ^^^

With my disappointment it led me into overclocking my cpu. I'm new to overclocking but I followed some tutorials online and upped my voltage to 1.4 and multiplier to 45.5 and I'm stable at 4.55 Ghz. I saw a frame increase in game by doing this, my question is though- I have a 560mm radiator dedicated to cooling just my cpu. At 1.4V and 4.55Ghz the max temperature I get under heavy load is 62C. Does this mean I can keep increasing the voltage and multiplier or no? And in doing this would this even help my issue for streaming and gaming? That being said if you guys have ANY solutions please let me know. I will list my specs below:

CPU- amd ryzen9 3950x
Ram- 64 gb 3000mhz GSKILL
Gpu- Msi 1080ti
Cooling- Custom water loop:
400 ml reservoir, 560mm radiator, ekw cpu block
Motherboard: Prime X570-P

Also something to add--- I plan on getting the 3080ti when It comes out in a couple months but if anyone knows any way that this rig could be better for streaming and gaming at high frames, whether thats overclocking more, tweaking obs settings, or any other options please let me know... Very disappointed. Got about 3000$ rapped up in this build.

Updated* Here is a picture of hwmonitor:
HwInfo

Last edited:

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
Your memory speed is holding that processor back (I have one too). That system needs 3600 with the best timings you can afford. I'm running DDR4 3600 @ 3800 speeds with 14-16-16-36 timings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Cmill12345

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Your memory speed is holding that processor back (I have one too). That system needs 3600 with the best timings you can afford. I'm running DDR4 3600 @ 3800 speeds with 14-16-16-36 timings.
How much is that affecting my processor. I just got the ram not too long ago and I can return it to micro-center and get a different set. Could you possibly recommend me some ? Thank you for letting me know my processor is getting held back.

Reactions: kwikgta