[SOLVED] Amd build - What Cpu and Motherboard would fit my build plan and budget the best?

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Hello Everybody, I am in a bit of a situation where i cannot decide what to choose..
I am planning to upgraid some Parts of the pc I am using rn but with all aviable options. I wanted to go with a Amd based update, as i heard its the best for bang for buck.
I personally am rather budget bound (~500$ total), so trying to keep this in mind (If its around10-15$ over, it wont be the end of the world) I searched out some parts that would fit my tastes.

The parts i currently want to upgraid are:
-Cpu
-Motherboard
-Ram
-Psu
[While writing this post I have already bought 2 parts (~150$), a 16 gb Ram kit (Corsair vengeance pro rgb 3200mhz) and a Psu(Tx550m).]

As for what i am currently using, part of it will used again after the upgraid. My Case, Cpu Cooler (Corsair H005) and Gpu (GTX 970) will be kept, old cpu and all is basically worthless now (Maybe i can sell it but i dont see value in these items anymore)

Now towards my actual Situation:
For my Cpu i have picked out 2 possible Options that i would consider Optimal and fitting for the budget:
-R5 2600x
-R5 3600

As for motherboard i have around 3 options:
-MSI tomahawk Max
-MSI Gaming Pro carbon Ac (Personal favorite out of the 3)
-Gigabyte x570 UD

I personally believe that out of these motherboards, the carbon ac looks the best for me and would fit great with the listed cpu's. A friend of mine is urging me to get a x570 board tough, but i dont really see a point. I dont see me needing pci e 4.0...

In my futur build i want some good gaming performance mostly while having some good looks (hence Y i bought rgb ram). I am also not really planning on overclocking really. Atleast not in the next 2+ years.

I hope all of you could help me decide (or list other alternatives!). Hope i didnt make this too long :sweatsmile:
Thank You all in advance.

Solution
I think that the Ryzen 5 3600 with the MSI Tomahawk Max or Pro Carbon will be a great option.

And you may need to get this: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...et-Kit-for-Hydro-Series™-Coolers/p/CW-8960046 in order to place your AIO on the AM4 socket.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CPzgdX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply...
2x8GB DDR4-3200 = $65
TX550W = $60

The nice thing about the MSI max boards is that they support 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box (without BIOS update). 500 series boards wouldn't need a BIOS update for 3rd gen Ryzen either. Or do you have friends with 1st/2nd gen Ryzen CPUs that they'd lend you to update your BIOS?

What are you doing for storage? SSD capacity? ~500GB SSD ok?

If you want good gaming performance in the future having pcie4.0 will be a big part of it for any decent GPU, I would definitely be going for an x 570 board and the 3600, a RTX 2070-80 in that a you are sailing to happiness gaming world for the next few years.... x570 boards also have some great looking models like those from ASUS for example with lots of bling if thats your thing !!

https://www.alternate.de/html/produ...MI3IC8q-jY5QIVQud3Ch0OhAikEAQYASABEgLc1PD_BwE

Last edited:
I think that the Ryzen 5 3600 with the MSI Tomahawk Max or Pro Carbon will be a great option.

And you may need to get this: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...et-Kit-for-Hydro-Series™-Coolers/p/CW-8960046 in order to place your AIO on the AM4 socket.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CPzgdX

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $510.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 14:22 EST-0500

Solution

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
I already knew about this bracked, but just choose that I wouldnt include it in my overall budget, but thanks anyways! Makes me feel like everything is beeing considerd.

What are you doing for storage? SSD capacity? ~500GB SSD ok?
Currently using just a 250 gb SSD i want to keep. If i get the b450 tomahawk + 2600x i could squeeze another SSD in.

Or do you have friends with 1st/2nd gen Ryzen CPUs that they'd lend you to update your BIOS?
No I do not! And i am not fond of the idear of those upgraid kits or whatever they were called where they send you a cpu just to upgraid. Thats the reason i am looking specifically at msi boards with their out of the box 3000 compatibility.
If you want good gaming performance in the future having pcie4.0 will be a big part of it for any decent GPU, I would definitely be going for an x 570 board and the 3600, a RTX 2070-80 in that a you are sailing to happiness gaming world for the next few years.... x570 boards also have some great looking models like those from ASUS for example with lots of bling if thats your thing !!
Well your not wrong, but that doesnt fit in my budget under any circumstance! Maybe you have been a bit confused with the 500$ limit i posted? I meant that with the all the parts together, aka CPU, RAM, Motherboard and PSU! I also probably wont be able to afford such a gpu in the futur? I made it a ? because i havent fully decided on a budget yet (and pricedrops ofc) but for now i was thinking of a 330-380$ Range for a Gpu.

Since i saw some Posts about my Ram and Psu here.. I already have bought these parts for quite some time! Should have converted the currency (I use €). I have gotten those parts pretty cheap, atleast as far as the last ~4 months of observing prices has told me.

@AbGe if you need to lower the list a bit, you can always dial back the 650watts psu i choose, for something like the Seasonic Focus 550Watts, it will save you enough money to add the 3 brackets :)

Or you can just pick any bronze series, Like the Corsair CMX 80+ Bronze 650Watts Semi-Modular for around U$80. As long as it fits inside your case and have good reviews then youre good to go.

Feel free to modify the list as your budget need it.

Cheers

Last edited:

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
I got this Tx550m for around 66$ wich i found too be quite ok. I dont see myself getting super high draining gpus and stuff in the futur so i tought it would be enough for me.
I made a potential parts list with a possible futur gpu and got around 410 watts. I took 550 as a good psu wattage for that

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PWc3b8

Looks ok, I would change only the storage, cause its not ok to pay more than 60~70 for a 500GB SSD.

Also just to point you out, the cooler is overkill (which is great), but you can go with more cheaper parts there for the Ryzen 5 3600.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RVPzNq

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($95.93 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($66.95 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1393.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 18:04 EST-0500

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Looks ok, I would change only the storage, cause its not ok to pay more than 60~70 for a 500GB SSD.
What SSD do you mean? The nvme probably wont stay, I just wanted to see the highest cost i could get at the time of making that list. The 250 GB SSD is already in my current build.
Also just to point you out, the cooler is overkill (which is great), but you can go with more cheaper parts there for the Ryzen 5 3600.
I already own the cooler. I bought the H005 used from a friend. Has been in my System for over a year now. No need to change that cooler if it still runs well