AMD Dual-Core Optimizer 1.1.4 + Windows 7

prankstare

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I have the AMD Turion II M500 running under Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I am experiencing problems running NFSMW. Does the "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer 1.1.4" help?

Thanks.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
That game is old, it's single threaded so dual core optimizer won't help. Can you try opening control panel, go to programs, and go to run older programs on this version of windows, tell it to go to XP service pack 2 and then try your game again.

No, that was a little program that came out with the very first dual cores used when XP was the latest and greatest. It fixed a time stamp problem with some old leftover Win95 games that had problems running the right "speed" with the new dual core processors. But that has been fixed in Windows since XP service Pack 1 I think, and it is not needed with Vista or Win 7.
As said above, you might try running it in compatibility mode, the problem is likely Win7, not your hardware.

prankstare

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

Pardon, do what? Old programs? I can't find this on the Control Panel...

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
oh yeah never mind, i'm using control panel home on the left side, sou must either be on the classic view or my Vista control panel is different from your 7, either way in the search box type in program compatable, and use the older program wizard.

You right click on the .exe. or the shortcut linked to the .exe for the game and go to compatability. Then select say XP SP3.

TBH, that might not help. Some games need to be patched. I had to run a patch for Command and Conquer.

I have NFSMW laying around somewhere. If I can find it, I might try it and see if I run into the same problem as you do.

prankstare

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

Hey! So that means that it makes possible for non-Windows 7 programs to run under Windows 7?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yes, but it doesn't always work and some programs are just too p;d fpr anything but what they're designed for. That's where XP mode comes in, if your hardware supports it and you have 7 Pro or higher (Ultimate, Enterprise) than you could load a virtualized version of a legal XP OS to have your programs work there. SAdly you don't, upgrade is $80

prankstare

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

I can't get what you're saying... why would I have to upgrade when I can use Virtualbox and install tinyXP? I am not sure what you meant exactly by W7 Ultimate/Enterprise... what exactly these versions have more than my current Home Premium x64?