AMD Vega MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SC version is not that much faster..

But yes the Vega 56 is still attractive. I have a 1070 and a freesync monitor, maybe I'll wait til actual user reviews before I decide to switch.. hopefully there are some cards left by then!

slightly faster than reference.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

perfrel_3840_2160.png

do note though Doom (in vulkan) and COD: IW have always been faster on AMD hardware. BF1 DX12 AMD usually faster but from time and time the result on BF1 DX12 can be inconsistent. while AMD can be faster than nvidia in DX12 but the frame rate might be lower than DX11 version even for AMD. that's why majority of reviewer decided to stick with DX11 for BF1 because it gave more consistent result. CIV 6 is AMD sponsored tittle. this one is a bit harder to me to really know which card is faster. in DX11 nvidia is faster due to nvidia support for DX11 multi threaded feature (this is one feature than AMD decided not to support). in DX12 i see various result. with toms hardware nvidia will come on top even in DX12:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9KL0MvNjY5NDMyL29yaWdpbmFsL2Zwcy5wbmc=

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9KL0kvNjY5NDM4L29yaWdpbmFsL2Zwcy5wbmc=

techspot (hardware unboxed) usually get AMD ahead of nvidia:

Civ.png

some other review i see AMD and nvidia is about equal in CIV 6 DX12.

then the mining company just have to asked 100 of their employee to buy Vega for them if they want to get 100 Vega :p . this mining bubble is getting out of hand. the other day one of mining company willing to rent 747 just so they can get the ordered card delivered ASAP from warehouse.

I thought you were joking! http://www.businessinsider.com/cryptocurrency-miners-rent-boeing-747s-2017-7

norimacek

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

RX VEGA price tag $1.000+, here we go again :-(

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah those bench's were actually in Dx12 as opposed to Dx11..

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
What are the actual chances of the release of Vega bringing down the prices of the RX 570/580?

Some people seem to be expecting a miraculous return to near-normal prices as Cypto-miners swarm over the Vegas instead.

nah. miner will just going to get all the Vegas and RX400/500 for themselves.

It is possible if Vega is about twice as fast at mining or better. If its not around 2x better then I wouldn't expect price drops as the extra power draw of Vega wont make it a value for the big miners with 1000's of GPU's.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

I think that may have more to do with a production ramp up which Lisa Su mentioned in their earnings call.. It was bound to happen I guess.
I don't believe Vega would of been available in massive quantities anyway HBM etc..
I guess now if it is just a paper launch we wont be able to tell, as it will just be blamed on the miners buying up all the cards !

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah, You might be right. There's no wrong guesses here. It's anyone's guess what Lisa Su wants to do. We all waited (or were baited) a long time for partner cards to come out. Heck, with competitors like Nvidia and Intel I imagine market strategy has to be shrewd and tactful.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah, the miners sure surprised me. I toasted my 390x back in May and needed a tithe over card before the future Vega release. I barely got a 580 8gb before the prices moved up to $350.00 and beyond. Was too late to nab one of the limited or overclocked versions but I'm happy to get what I got.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Fixadent : "AMD Radeon Vega vs GTX 1080"

Proper benchmarks are coming tomorrow.

unikinqay

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
It's official now. AMD VEGA is a pretty effective loud space heater, unable to compete with 1080 TI. Buying a GPU which consumes more than a whole NVidia GTX 1080 based system, generating 52 dB of noise under load, is a no go in 2017. AMD, you should know better :-(

Well, officially "Radeon Disappointment 64".

Most 1080s will slaughter Vega with any small tweak and still sip less power (less noise and heat) on average with 3rd party improved cooling.

Too bad. I was wishing to swap my 480 for a Vega, but looks like I'll just wait for Navi.

Cheers!

:lol:

Custom boards will be out next month, but I'm sure they will sell out almost as fast.

I was checking Newegg this morning every 2-3 minutes on the mobile app, they first appeared at 20 minutes after 06:00PT, but at that time all were sold out except the Power Color black at $599, 10 minutes later it was sold out as well. Makes me wonder if I should have been on the desktop site. :/ ...or if they were only available to certain people/areas at 06:00PT when they were supposed to be released.

Price/performance, Vega is a winner. Power consumption is high, but not a deal breaker for many IMO. People spending $500 on a GPU likely aren't too concerned about the extra $2 on their electric bill. I was glad to see Tom's was smart in the review and compared reference to reference, unlike many people in the comments section were doing.

Call it "frontier Edition" or "Founder's Edition" all you want, but at the end of the day, it's just a reference design and I personally never buy reference design. They are always loud and inefficient, and often boring in design. I really hope Tom's does a follow up review when Sapphire and ASUS release these cards with some decent coolers and we can see what these cards are really capable of.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in the hype for these cards, I am pleased to see AMD handing the 1080 (and potentially the 1070) their butts. nVidia has them of power consumption, but that seems to be it. Vega is a performance winner at it's price levels.

I don't care that it consumes more power. But when they're selling reference Vega 64 at $599 and you can get a custom 1080 at $509.. who's the winner? From the looks of things there may never be readily available RX Vega at MSRP. That's my complaint. But I guess we'll wait (waiting is not winning IMO) and see.

And sure RX Vega outperforms Nvidia when comparing reference designs. But if the recent past AMD cards give us any hint, Nvidia overclocks better than AMD. Vega is nice, but if you have to get lucky to get your hands on it it doesn't really do most people any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.