AMDs R600 launch: May 2 ... Next week

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
If it's really sold for $400 US I dunno how much success it's going to see against the $280 GTS 320, but hopefully the real street price will be lower.

AndyAldrich

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
R600 has been continually pushed back, I don't see them releasing it on May 2nd as any kind of favourable act. People have been posting, "I'll wait until R600 comes out" on here for months and although it'll be good to have another choice of GPU as it should make current ATi cards lower in price I for one will be glad to just see some real benchmark figures...you know, I don't really believe it will ever come out.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I will be interested to see how these new cards perform because I would like to upgrade to a Direct 10 card. If they turn out to be complete rubbish at least it might push Nvidia to drop prices :D .

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I will be interested to see how these new cards perform because I would like to upgrade to a Direct 10 card. If they turn out to be complete rubbish at least it might push Nvidia to drop prices :D .
If it turns out like that , nV wont have any reason to lower prices :wink:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
If it's really sold for $400 US I dunno how much success it's going to see against the $280 GTS 320, but hopefully the real street price will be lower.

AMD intends to match the street price of the GTS, not the list price. Those list prices are just suggested and almost never bear any semblance to reality.

Also, I am not surprised by this move. In the earnings call AMD management said 2nd 1/2 of May, but my guess is that will be the XTX, but their yields on the XT version were quite good and had enough QoH to warrant early release as a PR move. I would like to see the XT OC benchies vs. the 8800GTX factory OC so I can gauge a performance/$ figure.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Ahh, just in time for Mother's Day. I'm sure my wife will want one.

Zzzzzzz ... wake me up when R600 finally gets here.

Can anyone say Rumplestilskin?

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
We are seeing HD2900xt's benchmark on the 2nd of May, what about HD2600 and HD2400? Are those benchmarks(reviews) releasing on the 2nd of May as well?
I know it's important to focus on the high end, but let's all remember that majority of consumer gets main-stream products, like me. :D

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
We are seeing HD2900xt's benchmark on the 2nd of May, what about HD2600 and HD2400? Are those benchmarks(reviews) releasing on the 2nd of May as well?
I know it's important to focus on the high end, but let's all remember that majority of consumer gets main-stream products, like me. :D

May 14th.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007

AMD intends to match the street price of the GTS, not the list price. Those list prices are just suggested and almost never bear any semblance to reality.

Splendid. Maybe I'll wait till next week before ordering a GTS 320 just in case.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Splendid. Maybe I'll wait till next week before ordering a GTS 320 just in case.

Honestly that would be a very smart move as you don't really lose anything in waiting a week. Whether or not it holds true could be a different story, but at least you will know. :D

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
R600 has been continually pushed back, I don't see them releasing it on May 2nd as any kind of favourable act. People have been posting, "I'll wait until R600 comes out" on here for months and although it'll be good to have another choice of GPU as it should make current ATi cards lower in price I for one will be glad to just see some real benchmark figures...you know, I don't really believe it will ever come out.
I'm one of the guilty ones telling people to "wait until R600 comes out".
I really thought it should be better or at least lower prices.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Also, I am not surprised by this move. In the earnings call AMD management said 2nd 1/2 of May, but my guess is that will be the XTX, but their yields on the XT version were quite good and had enough QoH to warrant early release as a PR move. I would like to see the XT OC benchies vs. the 8800GTX factory OC so I can gauge a performance/$ figure.

Look at the intended street price of fx pairs. I just dont trust their intended bs anymore.

Fair enough. I point that out just so people don't freak before the product is even launched. I will reserve final judgment for final benchies and real newegg/zzf prices. :D

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The would sell plenty if they priced them under the 8800 320. The increase in sales could overcome the lower price. Why debut a card with such a high price that won't sell too many units? The only card that can command such a premium is the 8800 GTX. There's not much of a premium for an also ran. Price it low enough to outsell the 320 like mad! Higher performance at a lower price would sell plenty.

Attention AMD: Street should be less than 8800 320's price, period. Otherwise, nobody will buy them.

Why go head-to-head? Just undercut the bastards and they will steal share away from nvidia. They need buzz, bad, and a nice low street price will start them on that path.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
you have your prediction and i have mine; we shall see whos is correct.

My prediction is 380-450 depending on the bin and clock.

Correct or not, AMD will find a way to fock this thing up. I'd like to see AMD storm out of the gates with awesome (cutthroat) pricing that when giving consumer a choice, they will choose the AMD card over the nvidia card because the AMD card will perform better at any given price. I just don't have much faith in AMD right now.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
you have your prediction and i have mine; we shall see whos is correct.

My prediction is 380-450 depending on the bin and clock.

Based on the benches leaked I would have to disagree with you vern I don't see them selling for over $350 probably closer to $300 to move any volume. If we have better benches waiting in the wings there may be a shot to break $400 but price/performance doesn't support a $400 sticker yet.