Juan1985

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi everyone,

decided to treat myself to an upgrade and plucked for a i7-9700K and an ASUS Z-390 P Prime.
On first start up the CPU temp was already at 65C when I entered the BIOS and it kept climbing until 75C when I switched it off. BIOS isn’t recognising the AIO or CPU_Fan connections.
Voltage hovers between 1.012 to 1.21. I have remounted the AIO cooler using the pea method and thermal grizzly paste.

parts list all running stock:
i7-9700K
Asus Z-390P Prime
32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz (4x 8Gb sticks)
Corsair RM650X (80 Plus Gold)
Asus GeForce DUAL GTX 1060 6Gb DDR5
Corsair H100i v2

All I can think of is the H100i is dead but I’m hoping you guys could suggest something that I’ve overlooked, this is only my second build.
previous build was i5-7600K and Z-270 Prime, the BIOS not picking up the CPU Fan was present on that build however the temps at idle were 27C with the same cooler.

In this image the case fans are disconnected, for some reason on this attempt it started off at 35C and again rose to 75C before I switched it off. Ambient temperature is cool in this room, radiators are switched off specifically to keep it cool.

zPpIzyc.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your case and the orientation of the AIO in the build? A picture to the innards will be of assistance to us. Just another question, did you reinstall your OS after you got your motherboard upgrade? Looked through the support site for the board and you have one more BIOS update pending, i.e BIOS version 2804>2808.

Juan1985

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Using a coolermaster aerocool, can’t remember the exact case model but it’s mid tower.
AIO is mounted in the upper part of the case blowing outwards.
I was intending to do a clean install of the os on a new larger hard drive but I can put the old one back in if I need to to get things going.
I’m not sure how long it takes to update the BIOS but I’m worried about frying the CPU if I leave it on too long, probably got a minute until the temps get too high for comfort.

excuse the mess but I don’t tidy things up until the system is running.
point to not this is the same case setup I was using previously a the AIO pipes do not touch the rear case fan.

EsjBa1S.jpg

Juan1985

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Update: reseated the AIO and reapplied the thermal grizzly to no avail although I did let the machine run to see if it would settle, it topped out at 89c. Interestingly the voltage dropped to 0.737 not sure what it means but hopefully you guys do.

BhXkTqV.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's too hot for bios, so the cpu is throttling there.
At this point:
A)Your hybrid cooler's pump has coincidentally died. If it's still within warranty, you should RMA it.

B)In that last pic, there's no fan or pump speeds being reported at all. Are you sure you plugged everything up correctly?
There's 5 fans, a pump, and no signal from any of them?

C)Cooler back plate - not the retention bracket - was installed incorrectly.

Juan1985

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
That's too hot for bios, so the cpu is throttling there.
At this point:
A)Your hybrid cooler's pump has coincidentally died. If it's still within warranty, you should RMA it.

B)In that last pic, there's no fan or pump speeds being reported at all. Are you sure you plugged everything up correctly?
There's 5 fans, a pump, and no signal from any of them?

C)Cooler back plate - not the retention bracket - was installed incorrectly.

my initial thought was that the pump is dead on the AIO, as a precautionary measure I’ve contacted Corsair earlier today to have it RMA.

case fans have been disconnected (was trying to hear the pump), it was cold enough in the room that I had to wear a coat.
I have double checked the connectors and on one occasion I swapped the FAN and AIO connectors over. Nothing.

cooler back plate appears to be seated correctly