luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Hi everyone!

I'm building a new PC and I'd like your opinion on it.
Any advice is welcome. I already have the monitor, but I added it so it's clear I'll be running at 3440 x 1440

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zVQNc

CPU: i7-13700KF

MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4

GPU: Zotac Trinity GeForce RTX 3080 12GB

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD: WD Black SN770 500 GB m.2

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G5

Case: NZXT H510

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone!

Any advice is welcome. I already have the monitor, but I added it so it's clear I'll be running at 3440 x 1440

Thanks!
Unless you HAVE TO HAVE the RGB, I would not recommend a four DIMM memory kit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)No to 'franken ram'. Get a proper 2x 16GB kit, or 4x 8GB. If it's not in the same package, there's no guarantee they will get along - you become the beta tester; if it works, great. If it doesn't, you lose time and money.
2)Crap airflow case - or rather, it might be more accurate to say, this case struggles with high system power consumption as both air intakes and exhausts are strained.
3)With the money being spent here, surely that HDD can be swapped out for a SSD?
4)Corsair RM850X. A tier better, around the same price, and thus a better pairing with that gpu than the Supernova G5.

Reactions: luneki
Hi everyone!

Thanks!
You won't be able to overclock with that mobo so you might want to wait for the non-k flavor of that cpu and then see what the benchmarks look like.

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
You won't be able to overclock with that mobo so you might want to wait for the non-k flavor of that cpu and then see what the benchmarks look like.

Yeah I thought about that but there doesn't seem to be any time frame for when it'll come out and I thought I'd have a build ready in case I catch some black friday deal.

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
1)No to 'franken ram'. Get a proper 2x 16GB kit, or 4x 8GB. If it's not in the same package, there's no guarantee they will get along - you become the beta tester; if it works, great. If it doesn't, you lose time and money.
2)Crap airflow case - or rather, it might be more accurate to say, this case struggles with high system power consumption as both air intakes and exhausts are strained.
3)With the money being spent here, surely that HDD can be swapped out for a SSD?
4)Corsair RM850X. A tier better, around the same price, and thus a better pairing with that gpu than the Supernova G5.

1. You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought about the RAM issue.
  2. Thanks, any particular model you recommend?
  3. You're right, some dollars more and I'd get another SSD, much better
  4. Great! I'll check it out

If you can hold off until January I'd be looking at a B760 board paired up with an i7 13700 / 13700F. Those cpu's will use less power and create less heat than their unlocked counterparts while going head to head with them if they're anything remotely similar to the Intel 12 gen locked cpu's. Meanwhile DDR5 is going down in price here in the US at an almost weekly bases which makes waiting until January to purchase your build an even better decision.

Something like this for example.

B760 DDR5 motherboard $170 - $200

Intel Core i7-13700F $390 (if I had to guess)

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $64.99

I'll use this set of RAM for an example but expect DDR5 to be much cheaper by this January.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-RipJ...-36-89-F5-5600J3636C16GA2-RS5K/dp/B09PTC5K42/
G.Skill RipJaws S5 Series DDR5 5600 32GB (2x16GB) CL36 $154.99

https://shopsoftwarekeys.com/shop/microsoft-windows-11-home-32-64-bit-usb-box-pack-1-license/
Microsoft Windows 11 Home 32/64-bit USB $72.99

Nov 12, 2022
I would agree with @Why_Me about waiting until Jan if you can. In addition to memory prices coming down, the new RDNA3 GPU's are set to be released early next month w/the premier 7900XTX coming in at less than what most of the 3080 12GB LHR's are currently priced at. ($999 MSRP). Even if your not interested in them, they should help bring the cost of all GPUs down including 3080s. The X3d Zen 4 Ryzen may drop as well, which could bring down the price on your CPU. Really, no matter your preference, whether it be for Red/Blue/Green, you should get a nicer build at a better price if you can hold off until Q1 next year.

Reactions: luneki and Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking a 13thGen cpu is absolutely pointless. Overclocking has essentially been dead since 12thGen was released and has been dying since 9thGen. There's Zero gains to be had by adding extra power consumption for a measly 100-200MHz, and no point at all in locking the cores on a cpu that cannot use all the cores because the games don't support that kind of core usage. The K used to be a worthwhile consideration back when you could get 1GHz or more, but not today, the K is nothing more than a gimmick, useful only to extremists.
If you can hold off until January I'd be looking at a B760 board paired up with an i7 13700 / 13700F. Those cpu's will use less power and create less heat than their unlocked counterparts
Wrong. The locked cpus use the same amount of power, and have since 10thGen, with PL2 limits wide open, PL1 and Tau are moot. You have to manually select a lower power target/limit, default power consumption is now almost identical. In the 200w+ class for a xx700 cpu or better.

Locked or unlocked, makes no real difference. And I'd not recommended spending that kind of cash only to gimp the pc with a lack of igpu, just to save a few $$.

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
I would agree with @Why_Me about waiting until Jan if you can. In addition to memory prices coming down, the new RDNA3 GPU's are set to be released early next month w/the premier 7900XTX coming in at less than what most of the 3080 12GB LHR's are currently priced at. ($999 MSRP). Even if your not interested in them, they should help bring the cost of all GPUs down including 3080s. The X3d Zen 4 Ryzen may drop as well, which could bring down the price on your CPU. Really, no matter your preference, whether it be for Red/Blue/Green, you should get a nicer build at a better price if you can hold off until Q1 next year.

I could wait, but do you think prices would be better in January vs black Friday/cyber Monday?

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Overclocking a 13thGen cpu is absolutely pointless. Overclocking has essentially been dead since 12thGen was released and has been dying since 9thGen. There's Zero gains to be had by adding extra power consumption for a measly 100-200MHz, and no point at all in locking the cores on a cpu that cannot use all the cores because the games don't support that kind of core usage. The K used to be a worthwhile consideration back when you could get 1GHz or more, but not today, the K is nothing more than a gimmick, useful only to extremists.

Wrong. The locked cpus use the same amount of power, and have since 10thGen, with PL2 limits wide open, PL1 and Tau are moot. You have to manually select a lower power target/limit, default power consumption is now almost identical. In the 200w+ class for a xx700 cpu or better.

Locked or unlocked, makes no real difference. And I'd not recommended spending that kind of cash only to gimp the pc with a lack of igpu, just to save a few $$.

Yes, the lack of igpu had me a bit on edge, in case anything ever happens to the GPU at least I could still use the PC (which has actually happened to me before while I RMA'd a previous card). I think I'll go with the 13700K, or maybe wait until the locked version releases. Like I said I have no interest in OCing.

I could wait, but do you think prices would be better in January vs black Friday/cyber Monday?

Certain products will be available in late January that will not be available before that at ANY price.

Prices on black Friday or any anticipated sale are entirely speculation. There is some small chance that a particular item you want will be on a significant sale. More likely not on sale at all. Speculate if you want. You'd have better luck if you are willing to accept a fairly close substitute rather than a specific item.

Reactions: Why_Me