ilievxman99

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
I have an ASUS GTX 750 Ti OC model with stock clocks (the OC is from the ASUS variant, not my personal OC) in a relatively big Dell Precision T3500 workstation.

In Unigine Heaven Valley the max temp was 66C.

But whilst playing Mad Max with Vsync on I was getting GPU usage of between 75 and 100% and temperatures of 65C to 68C, mostly staying around 67C.

I assume if I removed Vsync it would probably go even higher into the 70s.

I was wondering since the card is not even being maxed out most of the time due to Vsync - shouldn't the temps be lower?

I changed the thermal paste recently but received no improvement apart from lower idle temps (from 35C to 30C).

I am concerned as I saw a review of this card and whilst maxed out on games it was reaching a max of 62C but I guess the conditions are different for every PC so I need some assurance - are those temps fine? I need to keep this card for as long as I can and don't want it dying from overheating.

Here is my PC - it has 2 120mm intakes and a single 80mm Arctic F8 outtake.

Solution
No risk of overheating until it hits 83C, at that point it will self throttle and regulate. Nothing to worry about.

If you want slightly lower temps, set the fans to spin faster sooner.

ilievxman99

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
No risk of overheating until it hits 83C, at that point it will self throttle and regulate. Nothing to worry about.

If you want slightly lower temps, set the fans to spin faster sooner.
It must be my Dell motherboard PWM but when I set a custom fan curve or manually increase fan speed on the GPU using MSI Afterburner, it works fine for a few days with great temps until it glitches and you can hear the fan speed going up and down thousands of time in a minute and I have to turn off the fan curve. Any ideas ? :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard PWM would be uninvolved. The fan on the GPU is controlled by the GPU circuitry.

Not really sure, haven't run a fan on my GPU in ages... to be frank. I've not known MSI Afterburner to have issues when it is running. Try the latest driver version for the card and the latest MSI Afterburner.

Could check for firmware updates for the GPU, but you risk a BIOS flash failing and bricking the card. I doubt you want to take the risk of modifying the GPU vBIOS to make permanent fan curve changes either.

ilievxman99

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
Motherboard PWM would be uninvolved. The fan on the GPU is controlled by the GPU circuitry.

Not really sure, haven't run a fan on my GPU in ages... to be frank. I've not known MSI Afterburner to have issues when it is running. Try the latest driver version for the card and the latest MSI Afterburner.

Could check for firmware updates for the GPU, but you risk a BIOS flash failing and bricking the card. I doubt you want to take the risk of modifying the GPU vBIOS to make permanent fan curve changes either.
Ah okay that has educated me a bit on PWM - thanks! I will probably give it another go during the next gaming session.

And regarding the firmware update - I'll pass but what I may give a try is undervolting. I saw how a bit of it can actually have the same performance but 3-4 degrees lower which I am more than happy with.