elite_thut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Hi!
I built a brand new computer with a P8z77-v pro mb and everything is working fine except one thing...Everytime I am doing things like downloading a torrent, streaming a video, or anything that uses more bandwidth than going on facebook, my connection just becomes "saturated" and I can't do any other thing that needs internet. For example, I just tried to watch a youtube video in HD, and I was not able anymore to load any other website. As soon as I stop the video though, I can start to browse online again (not immediatly, but like 30-60 sec after). This is clearly a problem with the mobo as the computer I had before (a 6 years old computer) was using the exacte same ethernet connection and it never had this problem. Anyone could give me some help with this. It is extremely anoying...My computer is much faster now, but I can't even do two things at once if they both need a network connection :O !!

When that happens (for exemple when I am streaming a video, and cannot browse the internet at the same time, the video continues to load, hence the connection is not droping...it just cannot be used for two different things at the same time or something......very weird!
thanks again!

Edit: Oh and it doesn't happen all the time, for exemple, I have a big file downloading right now at 750 kb/s and I am able to browse tomshardware's website. But in a few minutes I might not...

elite_thut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
I just made some tests and it looks like if I limit my connection speed, I don't think I have the same issue (at least yet).

If I download something off the internet and I limit my download speed to 500 KB/s, then I can continue to do other things requiring a network connection...It is like as if IF I hit a certain threshold, everything jams. Stopping the program using more bandwidth or restarting solves the issue...

Again, this is not a problem with my internet connection as I have been using it this way forever without any issue.

Edit: Just saw your post. It is not an ISP issue as my iphone, macbook, familly computer and SONOS systems are all working totally fine :(

Edit 2: If I limit the speed of a download, then remove the limit, my connection goes all the way to 900ish KB/s then the download continues, but everything else stops working... So it really looks like the problem is happening when I hit a higher download speed (haven't done any tests with upload speed)

elite_thut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
oh...I don't think I will be trying that. This is already a fresh new install... I don't really see this as a solution but more importantly, I really dont feel like starting this process again when I did it less than 48 jours ago :(

Thanks for your help though...If anyone has another suggestion I could try go ahead! :D

mockos

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

ping "your router ip" -t