[SOLVED] ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming Motherboard USB 3.1 (red) and Type C not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2021
Hey,

I've been using the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming Motherboard for over a year now and, since the beginning, there are two USB connectors (3.1 Gen 2 [Red] and USB Type C [which is located right next to it]) that never worked properly.

I've tried everything under the sun, updated my BIOS to the latest version (2401), installed and updated the correct drivers (apparently they are ASMedia USB connectors), checked the BIOS for the correct configuration, tried multiple devices and cords, etc...
At some point, I even thought it was other drivers of totally unrelated chipsets that caused the issue, so I even updated ALL of my drivers to the most recent version.

you name it, I've probably tried it. I'm starting to assume that those two connecters are just power only since everything I connect to it powers up, but no data is being sent to or from.

Can anyone confirm or does/did anyone have the same issue?

Solution
Hey!

In my last-ditch effort to get it to work before I buy a new motherboard, I unplugged all my USB devices one-by-one and uninstalled ALL my USB drivers one-by-one (doing the mouse last by uninstalling the USB drive and immediately unplugging).

Then, one by one I connected them again, starting with the USB-C port and let Windows auto-install the drivers, each plugged-in device giving it ~5 minutes to connect and install before moving on to the next device. By some kind of miracle it worked! And now my USB 3.1 connectors (Both the Red and the Type-C) work!

However, it might's been a joint effort by doing the aforementioned other things in my original post. So, for those having the same issue.
  • Update your motherboard to the...
Feb 6, 2021
Because I figured I would be able to fix it. I've been working on and off trying to fix it. Now a year has passed. xD

And yes, Windows 10 fully updated.

Feb 6, 2021
Hey!

In my last-ditch effort to get it to work before I buy a new motherboard, I unplugged all my USB devices one-by-one and uninstalled ALL my USB drivers one-by-one (doing the mouse last by uninstalling the USB drive and immediately unplugging).

Then, one by one I connected them again, starting with the USB-C port and let Windows auto-install the drivers, each plugged-in device giving it ~5 minutes to connect and install before moving on to the next device. By some kind of miracle it worked! And now my USB 3.1 connectors (Both the Red and the Type-C) work!

However, it might's been a joint effort by doing the aforementioned other things in my original post. So, for those having the same issue.
  • Update your motherboard to the latest version
  • Set USB 3.1 Enabled in BIOS (from Auto)
  • Update Windows to the latest version
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Unplug all your USB devices (except for your mouse)
  • Uninstall all your USB drivers (do your mouse USB driver last)
  • Uninstall the mouse USB driver and unplug as it's uninstalling the driver.
  • Connect ONE USB device to the USB 3.1 (red) or USB Type-C connector.
  • Let Windows install the drivers.
  • Give it ~5 minutes.

Check if it's working.

How this took me a year to figure out, I don't know.

Hope it helped someone else out there.

Solution
Oct 22, 2021
Thanks for the update, I'm in the same boat. I didn't think to return it because I thought it would be a easy fix, mines a gigabyte gaming 3 but same issue as you describe so i'll give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.