Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Asus R9 390X Strix 8GB
PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620w Bronze
SSHD: Seagate 2TB + Seagate 1TB HDD
SSD: 256GB (OS)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8 GB) 1600 MHz RAM

Cooler: CAPTAIN 360 GAMER STORM CPU LIQUID COOLER

I made this build nearly 4 years ago, Crosshair Formula Z was the most expensive and the best AMD motherboard at that time, R9 390X was one of the best valued card too, I choose FX6300 because I ran out of budget and if needed, it can be overclocked pretty nicely. I have overclocked it too but since it wasn't needed much, I used to just use it normally. It could run possibly every game I could ever think of, I used to play all games at 1080p 60+ fps like GTA V, R6, Battlefield etc.
2 months back my GPU started giving me a little bit trouble, my games would crash some times and I needed to reboot the PC. However, now my doesn't boot after the windows' logo, it crashes.
The HDMI port of GPU is not working, so I have to use DVI right now. A pink/green line is shown, many a times distorted pixels, even after rebooting this problem isn't solved. I am pretty sure it's the GPU, but my 3 year warranty expired a few months ago and there's literally no place in my city which repairs GPU. I live in a metropolitan city in India, I re-pasted both my CPU and GPU thermal pastes with Thermal Grizzly and cleaned all the heat sinks and checked many a times the connection of PSU and Motherboard. I have truly loved my gaming experience with my built, I have never faced major issues previously. I purchased my GPU for a little over 35,000 INR ($500) which was a lot for me. So I really need solutions for what can I do.
(No one in my city does chip level work, so can't get it repaired)
Solutions I have came across:
1)Baking the GPU, for which I would have to buy a cheap oven because I only own a microwave.
2)If the problem is may be just in the PCBs/Capacitors, so somewhere in my country, someone with a hot-air station can check and repair it.
3) If anyone from the community can tell me how to repair it myself, that can be tried too.
OR
Well, I have not really thought of this but incase there's no solution and I have to let go my GPU, then what should I buy. Don't have that much money to build this level Build again, because since AM3+ is an old socket, I have to buy a new CPU, mobo, GPU, RAM etc. which would cost a lot. I can may be buy a refurbished/used good GPU that goes good with my setup. The other solution would be that I can upgrade to a refurbished/used AMD FX-9590 and a decent GPU but will that be worth it, please feel to share all your views or comments. ( PS you can laugh at any of my component choices, I was just 17 when I assembled this build)

I would appreciate any kind of solution/help provided, thank you very much for giving your time.

Last edited:
Solution
A few questions:

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows? (Not booting past the Windows logo screen)

Are you 100% sure the HDMI is bad? Make sure your monitor or TV is set to HDMI. Do you have it HDMI to HDMI or is there a converter in between? HDMI to DVI & vice versa? Are you sure the Green Line/distorted pixles are not an indication that your monitor is bad? Do you have another GPU you could try? Borrow a friends to test?

Do you have another PC or have a friend with one where you could test if your GPU was indeed bad or just perhaps there is an issue with your motherboard. Have you updated the Bios? Your GPU has a DisplayPort. Have you tried using that instead?

When you have the system up & running, whats the CPU & GPU...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
A few questions:

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows? (Not booting past the Windows logo screen)

Are you 100% sure the HDMI is bad? Make sure your monitor or TV is set to HDMI. Do you have it HDMI to HDMI or is there a converter in between? HDMI to DVI & vice versa? Are you sure the Green Line/distorted pixles are not an indication that your monitor is bad? Do you have another GPU you could try? Borrow a friends to test?

Do you have another PC or have a friend with one where you could test if your GPU was indeed bad or just perhaps there is an issue with your motherboard. Have you updated the Bios? Your GPU has a DisplayPort. Have you tried using that instead?

When you have the system up & running, whats the CPU & GPU temps? Which GPU driver version are you using?

Please provide a little more info.

Solution

PranavTheGamer

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
A few questions:

When you have the system up & running, whats the CPU & GPU temps? Which GPU driver version are you using?

Please provide a little more info.

I haven't reinstalled windows ever since the day I built this rig. I am running the original copy of windows have troubleshooted from the start screen, it's all fine, no update related problems. I have had reinstalled a new set of latest AMD drivers too(before when my PC was booting then crashing after some time) My monitor is working well and the HDMI is for sure not working, because I tried using a new cable and connected it to my living room's TV but it still shows no output, I don't have any converters. I don't have any other working GPU which I can try, can try asking my friend to borrow me one. I can try using my GPU on my friend's PC and utilize the display ports too( I didn't have the cables before but I'll buy them), I'll let you know what happens. I have tried updating the BIOS, no change there. I don't know how to gather the temperature info of CPU/GPU without booting into the PC.
Thank you so much for your efforts and time, I really appreciate it man, I just hope I find some solution and get back to gaming soon. Thanks :)