Question Audio Supported Formats for monitors (e.g. LG 27GL83A) hooked up via displayport

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi,

I have an LG 27GL83A monitor hooked up to an NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics card via displayport running Windows 10 1909.

Even though displayport supports multiple bit depths (including 24), I only get 1 option in Windows Sound Properties for the display device.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dihNzUc91HeAdLCqGfduVCPz_dLGzesw/view?usp=sharing

If I hook up via HDMI, I get multiple options, as expected.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtwrCvb4k9rE4CVUOWq9zkZGHlaDBngx/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone who has their monitor hooked up via displayport please confirm you are getting multiple options for "Default Format" in the Advanced tab under the appropriate Playback device in Windows sound properties?

Incidentally, I have seen the same issue with a different monitor and tried a different displayport on the same graphics card. I also updated drivers for the graphics card and monitor.

Lutfij

Titan
I'm assuming you're using your monitor as an intermediary to connect your headphones or speakers to it as opposed to connecting it directly to the output ports on your motherboard/system? The monitor you own doesn't have speakers on them but an audio pass through port after accepting audio input from either HDMI or DP.

See if a BIOS update for your motherboard is pending and likewise use DDU to uninstall the drivers for your GPU and reinstall the latest drivers found off of Nvidia's support site.

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming you're using your monitor as an intermediary to connect your headphones or speakers to it as opposed to connecting it directly to the output ports on your motherboard/system? The monitor you own doesn't have speakers on them but an audio pass through port after accepting audio input from either HDMI or DP.

See if a BIOS update for your motherboard is pending and likewise use DDU to uninstall the drivers for your GPU and reinstall the latest drivers found off of Nvidia's support site.
Thanks for the reply, Lutfij.

Your assumption is correct.

I've already updated NVIDIA drivers, as mentioned above. BIOS is also up to date.

Audio "pass thru" is a bit elusive. Connection to monitor is via displayport, so the monitor has some type of digital/analog converter, albeit likely not a good one. However, I'm not smart enough to know if that's what tells Windows what formats are OK, or if its the displayport on the graphics card.

I'm hoping someone who is using displayport to a monitor can let me know what they're seeing.

Thanks

Reactions: DiegoT