Question Bandwith problems with access point and switch

Apr 11, 2019
Hello everybody,

I got a problem with my bandwith in connection with an access point or switch.
If I plug an access point (EDIMAX BR-6228nS) or switch (Level One FSW-0508TX or NETGEAR FS516) into the router (FRITZ BOX 6490 Cable) and test the bandwith with my pc connected to the device (cabel: CAT 6 and 5e), it's just one third of the whole bandwith (~ 30Mbit). But if I test the bandwith directly connected to the router (cable: CAT 6), I get the whole ~ 100Mbit. So, I get the same result on any access point or switch I used (+/- 5Mbit). Is it possible that I make a dumb mistake here, because it would be crazy, if all of the devices are broken. I have to say that the router was changed yesterday and the access point delivered the whole bandwith (~ 100Mbit) afterwards, but only for a few hours.

I hope somebody of you can help me, because I am very confused. Thank you very much!

All the best,
Günni

It is possible the router is overheating and throttling.

If you have qos, turn it off. On most consumer grade hardware it actually slows things down in total throughput.

Its also possible you have one device on the network that is flooding it with bad packets.

Its possible that one of your machines might be compromised and is loading the network with traffic. The network lights on the port will tell you the story.

I once by accident circular linked my switch (looped a connection back to itself). It will work for a while but eventually degrade.

Could somebody be using your network? Check the connected device on the dhcp clients table and count your devices. If the table shows more macs than network devices you may have a freeloader.

How are you determining your network link rates?

Apr 11, 2019
It is possible the router is overheating and throttling.

If you have qos, turn it off. On most consumer grade hardware it actually slows things down in total throughput.

Its also possible you have one device on the network that is flooding it with bad packets.

Its possible that one of your machines might be compromised and is loading the network with traffic. The network lights on the port will tell you the story.

I once by accident circular linked my switch (looped a connection back to itself). It will work for a while but eventually degrade.

Could somebody be using your network? Check the connected device on the dhcp clients table and count your devices. If the table shows more macs than network devices you may have a freeloader.

How are you determining your network link rates?

1. If the router is overheating, how is it possible, that I get the whole bandwith directly connected? So, I guess not. Or you meant the access point/switch?

2. It's turned off.

3. I checked, there is no.

4. I disconnected all of the devices and computers.

5. Just connected one cable from the router into the switch/access point and then one cable from switch/access point to computer.

6. I checked a few seconds ago, there is no other device.

7. I used different sites like speedtest.net, google, and some other german sites.

Thank you very very much for your ideas. I guess I have to deal with the lower bandwith :/

Last edited:
I would test with a the switch since WiFi introduces another level of stuff than can go wrong but the ethernet ports on the device will function as a switch.

If you plug you pc into a cable going to the router and it works fine. You then plug that cable into a switch and connect a pc to the same switch with another cable and it runs slow ?

There is not much to these devices when you run in that configuration. It almost has to be a bad cable. You could try mulitple ports on the switch and router but I suspect it will all work the same. Since it happens on multiple devices it also is not likely a bad port. That leave a cable.

Cables are really strange to troubleshoot. The ones that don't work at all are simple but ones that you get errors on the data transmissions. Be careful to buy quality cat5e cable that is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin)

Apr 15, 2019
I'm having roughly the same issue. A part of me wants to believe it could be the switch in my case tho. Sometimes I'll get up to 50+% packet loss out of no where until I restart the AP. And it will work fine then for about an hour or so? Could it possibly just be the switch I tried different cables?

TRENDING THREADS