May 17, 2020
Ok, so, I'm in desperate need of a GPU, I've got a 310w Gold PSU, and a 3.0 PCIe x16 slot. I'm looking for a GPU that doesn't need the PSU to be plugged into it, I've read some things online about GPU's that don't need external power, yet I'm not 100% sure on what that means. I'm hoping it means that I can just plug the GPU into my motherboard and get going, also, side note, I'm not expecting anything top notch, but if at all possible something with at least 4gb of VRAM, if that isn't feasible, 2gb is fine.

In terms of considering a PSU upgrade, from what research I've done, an upgrade is out of the question, my motherboard doesn't have a 20 or 24 pin connector, only a 4 pin.

My pc is a HP Pavilion 590-p0117cb, meaning my mother board is a LINCS 843B, and again, based on research I've done its a custom motherboard and doesn't have an exact form factor, its dimensions don't even fall into any form factor category.

Any and all input or advice would be appreciated, I don't have the funds to build from the ground up, or I would. I even went as far as to research everything I would need, and I'd be spending double what i already payed for my current PC.

Solution
an nvidia 1650 is the best you can do without any extra power needs.

what this means is there is not 6 or 8 pin power connection needed from the psu as the motherboard will supply all the power it needs. slightly older but similar would be a 1050ti card.

note that many of the models actually do need an extra 6-pin connection. so be sure to read all the description to be sure it only needs the 75w the motherboard can provide. normally, the overclocked, super cooled and high end cards will be the ones that need extra power but do read the description before buying!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
an nvidia 1650 is the best you can do without any extra power needs.

what this means is there is not 6 or 8 pin power connection needed from the psu as the motherboard will supply all the power it needs. slightly older but similar would be a 1050ti card.

note that many of the models actually do need an extra 6-pin connection. so be sure to read all the description to be sure it only needs the 75w the motherboard can provide. normally, the overclocked, super cooled and high end cards will be the ones that need extra power but do read the description before buying!!

Solution
May 17, 2020
that's a good card, i've used it a number of times for upgrades like you're asking about. and it's small so fits in some of the smaller non-standard cases dell/hp like to use.
https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1650-dual-gtx1650-o4g/p/N82E16814126321?Item=9SIA2W0BAS5802

Would this one work? Its well within my price range, it says 75w, but I don't see anything else about a recommended PSU, I also didn't see any connectors on the card itself in any of the pictures, but i want to be as close to 100% sure it'll work before I make a purchase.

the 1050ti is a bit pricey for my particular taste.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you should be ok with just plugging it in. since you are not replacing a gpu, there is no old drivers to get rid of.

so turn the pc off, plug the new card in and boot it up. it should recognize the card and get it ready to go for ou with no fuss. win 10 will get the drivers for it automatically so you should have nothing to do but sit back and watch.

TRENDING THREADS